Ups firearm policy.

Chol Tong

I’ve worked for UPS for the last three years and recently I accidentally brought in a firearm without realizing it. I’m unsure how the security personnels didn’t see when I put my bag through the X-ray belt. I realized I had it on me during break time when I reached into my bag and I felt it. I immediately went to tell the security personnels and they called some other people from in the hub I had to speak to speak to, including a union steward. I was terminated as they took my Id and sent me on my way. Is there any possible way of appealing since I didn’t know I had it on and the security personnels didn’t see it on my way in?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I’ve worked for UPS for the last three years and recently I accidentally brought in a firearm without realizing it. I’m unsure how the security personnels didn’t see when I put my bag through the X-ray belt. I realized I had it on me during break time when I reached into my bag and I felt it. I immediately went to tell the security personnels and they called some other people from in the hub I had to speak to speak to, including a union steward. I was terminated as they took my Id and sent me on my way. Is there any possible way of appealing since I didn’t know I had it on and the security personnels didn’t see it on my way in?
I never put my pistol anywhere except in the case or holster or in my pocket.
I never put one in my carry-on or in a bag/backpack.
I keep one in my console as well.
Tough lesson ... good luck.
Ups has a pretty clear no weapons policy. You’re probably gone for good.
You really shouldn’t have told on yourself.
It depends on how tight security is going out.

Chol Tong

Ups has a pretty clear no weapons policy. You’re probably gone for good. You really shouldn’t have told on yourself
Ups has a pretty clear no weapons policy. You’re probably gone for good. You really shouldn’t have told on yourself
They told me the scanner takes pictures of items in bags so I was probably screwed either way.
Well it happened do believe whatever.

bbsam

Staff member
I highly doubt it.

We had an office worker do the same here. Great gal and nobody wanted it to go down the way it did but they tend not to bend that policy at all.

Of course I’m at Fedex but I doubt thing with UPS are any different in this policy.

GenericUsername

I mean, in all seriousness, you're probably gone for good for violating that policy. It's one of the ones they're never going to bend on. You may have a fighting chance though seeing that you realized it once you got through and into your bag...and immediately told someone about. Honest mistakes happen, and if it was truly one of those, you may have a minuscule chance of getting your job back as you reported it right away. If it were me, I'd call your BA and talk to them directly to fight for you on it and not leave it in the hands of a local steward.

Overpaid Union Thug

One day I carried a Smith and Wesson Shield in my backpack all day on accident. I had just bought the backpack and showed it to a buddy of mine the day before. It’s one of those with a hidden concealed carry compartment so I put the pistol inside of it to see if my buddy would notice it (he didn’t) when he was looking at the backpack. I forgot to take the pistol out and had it with me all day on the route. I didn’t realize it until about halfway through the day. My center does not have metal detectors so thank God for that.:speechless2:

Mack37

Why in the hell would you tell somebody? I would have slipped out a window or something to get it back in my car. If they said something about a picture from the scanner I would have acted like they were nuts. Geesh.

On the plus side, it could be worse. Last guy who got caught bringing a firearm on postal property got to meet Postal Inspectors.

Chol Tong

Why in the hell would you tell somebody? I would have slipped out a window or something to get it back in my car. If they said something about a picture from the scanner I would have acted like they were nuts. Geesh.

On the plus side, it could be worse. Last guy who got caught bringing a firearm on postal property got to meet Postal Inspectors.
There’s only one exit and I said something just to be honest. And also the fact that they may have seen it the second time when I left. I’m just worried if I’ll be able to find another job after this incident.

Zowert

You’ll find work, don’t sweat it. Maybe try Loomis if you like to be armed all the time, hah..

I worked for Loomis for nine months picking up cash, bullion, diamonds, bonds and almost anything of monetary value that someone needs transported. Once you get used to following a strict protocol it’s not a bad gig and you won’t be breaking your back. Once in a while you will do a special transport that can fill the truck with over $25 million worth of cargo, you get a slight rush on your way to the drop.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

We had two people here who had similar circumstances. One a part time sup ,one an hourly. Sup got his job back quick , the hourly had to fight harder but did get their job back.
Good luck to you

542thruNthru

What scares me is the carelessness of forgetting where your firearms are.

They shouldn't be something you misplace or stick somewhere and forget about them.

Good luck though. Hope you get your job back and learn from this.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I know it was a mistake, but there are some places you just don't carry.
One of them is UPS.
I remember the good old days when if a driver got a new firearm, they would bring it in and show everybody including the center manager.
Same with alcohol, especially at Christmas time when drivers would get tips in the form of a fifth of their favorite brew.
Especially, on a Friday evening, drivers and management would tailgate for a couple hours in the parking lot drinking beer and BSing.
Hell, it may still be like that in some rural areas.
I imagine there are 2 UPSs just like there are 2 Americas.
I imagine some pusillanimous millennial would have a conniption if he/he saw a gun in the parking lot.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
What scares me is the carelessness of forgetting where you firearms are.

They shouldn't be something you misplace or stick somewhere and forget about them.

Good luck though. Hope you get your job back and learn from this.
That has a lot to do with judgment ... I didn't carry until I was in my 30's although I had a couple of defensive shotguns and a couple pistols stored in tactical locations in the house.
All my firearms are in a biometric safe or on my person ... usually a GLOCK 26 GEN4 with 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag.

542thruNthru

That has a lot to do with judgment ... I didn't carry until I was in my 30's although I had a couple of defensive shotguns and a couple pistols stored in tactical locations in the house.
All my firearms are in a biometric safe or on my person ... usually a GLOCK 26 GEN4 with 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag.

I'm pretty much the same way.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
There’s only one exit and I said something just to be honest. And also the fact that they may have seen it the second time when I left. I’m just worried if I’ll be able to find another job after this incident.
There are job opening all over the place right now.
UPS will only verify your length of service and position ... nothing else.
Sounds like you are P/T.
All you got to say is you are looking for full-time permanent work ... three years at UPS is a good sell to have on your resume.

542thruNthru

Curious, how do you carry in a pusillanimous state like Cali?

That's why I said pretty much. I do not carry in CA. If I go to AZ I carry and it's either on me or locked in its case.

At home I have a safe where all my firearms are and the ammo is separate from the safe and locked in a cabinet.

The security shotgun is in a biometric safe under the bed and my pistol is in a safe attached to my nightstand. Though I don't keep one in the chamber for safety reasons. I'm sure someone will give me S* for that last sentence. ;)

I don't need multiple firearms stashed around the house. CA homes aren't usually that large.