UPS freight driver in Phoenix

Can someone give me some information on becoming a driver for UPS freight. I understand the pay starts at $18/ hour and after 4 years is $29 an hour? Teamsters union. How's the work/life balance? Is it impossible to get a job off the street as a UPS freight driver?

maxicoze

It's funny----i was thinking about transferring to Phoenix terminal.

Anyways, no, the pay starts at $17.40, then goes to $17.70 after you make seniority/make it into the union---like 45 working days. Then again, with the new contract, i'm not 100% sure what you're going to start at or finish with.....

If you're city p+d, then i'd say the work/life balance is ok----weekends completely off, although it seems like the work week is devoted to work and not much else? It may depend from terminal to terminal.

It is NOT impossible to get on with upsf off the street; How much experience you got and your driving record?

It's funny----i was thinking about transferring to Phoenix terminal.

Anyways, no, the pay starts at $17.40, then goes to $17.70 after you make seniority/make it into the union---like 45 working days. Then again, with the new contract, i'm not 100% sure what you're going to start at or finish with.....

If you're city p+d, then i'd say the work/life balance is ok----weekends completely off, although it seems like the work week is devoted to work and not much else? It may depend from terminal to terminal.

It is NOT impossible to get on with upsf off the street; How much experience you got and your driving record?

I have a little over a year of experience. Perfect driving record.

sppollock

Start $17.70
Seniority $18.00
Twelve (12) months $20.00
Twenty-four (24) months $23.00
Thirty-six (36) months $25.50
Forty-eight (48) months Top Progression Rate $28.65

This is the pay scale for city P&D drivers starting the newest contract. After you get to top progression you start earning the raises of every six months.

Csdsm18

What are the hours usually for p&d I'm over in Pennsylvania an I see job postings for the hours of 9-5 but that doesn't seem right? Also does upsf work the docks when not driving?

sppollock

9-5 is a dream. As a new driver you come in when they schedule you, could be 4 am, could be noon. It wont change drastically during the same week but may change week to week depending on the time they need you. Yes you will be expected to be available and able to work as a driver and dock worker. Sometimes you'll come in at 6 to help unload freight and hit the streets at noon to start a route, off around 6 that night to do it all over again tomorrow. Don't expect to have a family life for the first few years, its not going to happen. This is normal for any p&d job out there.

Csdsm18

Well just got laid off from ups cartage supply chain. Thinking about going to ups freight for the normal hours but I always see them hiring so don't think that's a good sign.

trecord88

Hey guys is the starting pay for upsf still only $17.70 to start? If so is there any chance they can start you at a different rate depending on experience? I would love to jump ship from food service but 17 an hour is a very low starting wage.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Hey guys is the starting pay for upsf still only $17.70 to start? If so is there any chance they can start you at a different rate depending on experience? I would love to jump ship from food service but 17 an hour is a very low starting wage.
We are @ 27$ this Holliday season at small package feeder

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I figured I'd ask, I'm at a union job as well and that doesn't matter. It depends on what you bring to the table on where they want to start you at.

You’re gonna have to spend some time in the hub before you ever get behind the wheel of anything more than an irreg tug

trecord88

Keep checking for jobs. They haven't posted seasonal tractor trailer jobs. They want 10 at my building. But none are posted on upsjobs.com
Yeah I keep checking every day waiting for something to pop up, how's the chances of staying after the season is over would you say?

yugepackage

Don't mess with small pack. They have boards with 1,000+ people. Theyve had waves and waves and waves of hires over the year.... Freight hasn't had hires like that yet. You don't want to join freight in the p&d division. You'll be getting horrible hours then you're forced to bring the truck you're driving back for the road driver has bidded on it... You'll legit get no hours. P&d drivers can't even bump the dock during lay off because the dock is the same union as road and p&d has no senoirty of them... Just like small pack has no senoirty of their dock..... If you want to make money join ups freight road. You'll be able to get stuck out in hotels, work the dock and work the weekends.
Ups small pack vs ups freight road.. which is quickest to make $100,000??? Ups freight hands down. Any questions lemme know

Buckethead

Don't mess with small pack. They have boards with 1,000+ people. Theyve had waves and waves and waves of hires over the year.... Freight hasn't had hires like that yet. You don't want to join freight in the p&d division. You'll be getting horrible hours then you're forced to bring the truck you're driving back for the road driver has bidded on it... You'll legit get no hours. P&d drivers can't even bump the dock during lay off because the dock is the same union as road and p&d has no senoirty of them... Just like small pack has no senoirty of their dock..... If you want to make money join ups freight road. You'll be able to get stuck out in hotels, work the dock and work the weekends.
Ups small pack vs ups freight road.. which is quickest to make $100,000??? Ups freight hands down. Any questions lemme know
I'm trying to find something right about this post...

...still trying.