UPS freight driver wages

Indy135

i work out of indianapolis, just switched to UPS Freight from Roadway Express not long ago....i know the wages for the full time drivers are similar, around $23 per hour.....but i heard the wages were cut for the UPS freight drivers that start after a certain date...so the old timers still make the $23 whatever and if i started driving in about a year, anybody know about what i will make?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
yeah Hoke, I get a tingly feeling up my leg when I move threads.

Welcome Indy135, to the Brown Cafe. Tell your friends at work, I would like to see more Freight folks on here.

daveg

daveg
we were at $22.15 as of last year. .35 raise new year and another 35 july 1st . $23 someday....... these smilie styles reek, can they be changed?

PADriver5

What to expect? Peanuts for wages!

$14.68/hr to start for UPS Freight driver in PA. Around $15.70 after 1 year. $17/hr after 2 years.

For me that's crazy! Who wants to work for slave wages for 3+ years until you get a decent wage?

City Driver

^quit complaining, after 3 years you will reach a good wage

why dont you go drive for swift, werner or CRST, be home 2 days a month get paid 26 cents a mile and no dock pay?

your not gonna find many gigs better then this one

PADriver5

^quit complaining, after 3 years you will reach a good wage

why dont you go drive for swift, werner or CRST, be home 2 days a month get paid 26 cents a mile and no dock pay?

your not gonna find many gigs better then this one

Only losers with a poor driving record will work for any of the companies you listed. That's not me. I am home a couple nights a week and on weekends, I make .43 cpm and at least when I am home I can function and spend time with my family. I am not walking around like a zombie or sleeping all the time. By the way, who wants to wait 3 years? In 3 years of waiting I would lose about $60,000 less than I would working for what I am getting by not working for UPS.

The last 10 years in trucking I never made less than $48,000 for the year and usually averaged arounf $52,000. So figure even at $50 grand a year...that's $150,000 for 3 years. While at the same 3 years at UPS I would have made around $105,000 if I was really lucky.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the best deal.

raceanoncr

The last 10 years in trucking I never made less than $48,000 for the year and usually averaged arounf $52,000. So figure even at $50 grand a year...that's $150,000 for 3 years. While at the same 3 years at UPS I would have made around $105,000 if I was really lucky.

Yeah, and what kinda bennies did you make then too? Pension?

raceanoncr

What is so great about what UPS has to offer? No 401k match, insurance is second rate. Tell me where it's better at UPS?

I don't KNOW where it's better at UPS! You know why? I don't KNOW what you had then and now! You had better bennies? You HAVE better bennies?

Personally, I wouldn't WANT a 401 match. That's $ the company gets to count off and I don't. What it might earn is $ I'm gonna have to pay taxes on when I withdraw when I didn't even contribute. When it comes to the 401 deduction, I want the whole, what is it this year, $15,000 coming off the top of my paycheck, not just what 6-7% I actually contributed.

Insurance? Second rate? Hm....I just had two hip replacements in the last two years. Each one cost over $80,000. I haven't figgered out what my actuall cost was in co-pays but I doubt if any other insurance coulda matched it...WITH NO WEEKLY/MONTHLY DEDUCTION from my paycheck!

So, I guess what I'm saying is: Show me YOUR bennies are/were better is all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Personally, I wouldn't WANT a 401 match. That's $ the company gets to count off and I don't. What it might earn is $ I'm gonna have to pay taxes on when I withdraw when I didn't even contribute. When it comes to the 401 deduction, I want the whole, what is it this year, $15,000 coming off the top of my paycheck, not just what 6-7% I actually contributed.

I think you may be confused on how a 401k match works. Let's say UPS has a 3% 401k match. This means they will match your 3% contribution dollar for dollar but this does not mean that you are limited to just the 3%. You can still elect to have up to 35% or $15K (the 35% cannot exceed $15K--if it does they will stop deducting for the year) deducted from your pre-tax dollars. UPS will only match the 3%.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Lets not forget we actually have a traditional pension. At most trucking companies all you get is a 401k.

PADriver5, UPS is the best paying trucking company in the world.

I could not live off of the $52,000 you claimed to have made a year.

And I am home every night and two days a week.

Plus 6 weeks vacation a year :happy2:.

Not to mention personal, sick, and holiday pay.

It is well worth putting in your time until you make top rate.

Still want to compare :wink2:?

raceanoncr

I think you may be confused on how a 401k match works. Let's say UPS has a 3% 401k match. This means they will match your 3% contribution dollar for dollar but this does not mean that you are limited to just the 3%. You can still elect to have up to 35% or $15K (the 35% cannot exceed $15K--if it does they will stop deducting for the year) deducted from your pre-tax dollars. UPS will only match the 3%.

Yes, I know that. I believe (don't know for sure, never had one)their limit was 6-7%, right? That means they would match your, let's say, 6% for a total of 12%, right? That, with some wages, wouldn't make it to 15K for the year. You'd have to up your % even tho UPS would stop at 6% to make it to the 15K.

Sure, I know you can contribute more. I do. I think I take out 18. Well, every year I've done that, I've maxed it out and they've stopped deducting.

The point I was trying to make is that whatever ANY company is matching is money that you didn't contribute and that THEY get to count off their books. In return, when it comes time, I have to pay taxes on that or any earnings that match made even though I didn't contribute the money or put it in.

Also, I said I prefer to deduct the whole thing myself so it ALL comes off the top of my total taxable income for the year. In other words, I want the, in my case, whole 18% off the top, not just half or more that I actually contributed. Whatever you would chose to have them match, 3,5,6% is 3,5,6% that I couldn't bang off the top.

That's not me. I am home a couple nights a week and on weekends, I make .43 cpm and at least when I am home I can function and spend time with my family. I am not walking around like a zombie or sleeping all the time. By the way, who wants to wait 3 years? In 3 years of waiting I would lose about $60,000 less than I would working for what I am getting by not working for UPS.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the best deal.

Gosh! Had to wait 3 whole years to hit scale,oh my. Try starting out as a part timer making 8 and putting your time in until you can go package car. Go through that nightmare payscale and put your time in until you can go feeder. I made it in 10 and I was lucky.

Home a couple of nights and weekends. Way to sell that perk! We`re home every day and every weekend. Don`t have to try to be a family man on a schedule.

Benefits? I can speak from experience about expensive hospital bills yet I`ve never had to cut corners or live off of Ramen noodles to pay them so I guess thats score one for UPS.

As far as pay,if I sneak out the door every day at 8 hours I still hit 60k+ a year. The last 3 in a row I`ve broke 80k and I`m not the top of the list by a wide margin.

But you know what? Your job sounds so much better,where can I fill out an application?

Buckethead

Yeah, I dont get it, why whine about our company? Go find that wonderful 50k ayear job. I did my time and will keep my 75k plus a year job here.

Do your time or got to a long trailer company, or even worse, FedEx and get the bad attitude that comes with it.