UPS Freight

wkmac

its sad that this nation and this industry is so devided by this union/non-union crap...

Can't argue with that! Interesting about the Averitt rumor. Never heard that one before.

BTW: Is Pete's still in business in G'ville? Best hamburgers and hot dogs in the world IMO. Grandparents lived off Saludia Dam Rd. so as a kid I have some found memories of that town. Went through about 10 years ago and WOW has it changed!

southerngrits

UPSFreight Greenville SC
Can't argue with that! Interesting about the Averitt rumor. Never heard that one before.

BTW: Is Pete's still in business in G'ville? Best hamburgers and hot dogs in the world IMO. Grandparents lived off Saludia Dam Rd. so as a kid I have some found memories of that town. Went through about 10 years ago and WOW has it changed!

yep, there are alot of "pete's" restaurants all over.. great food

stomlinson

UPS purchasing a freight company was a move by the company to make more money. There is nothing wrong with this concept, unless of course they take work away from our operation to make that extra money. I've posted in the past, TEAMSTER.NET, where I see this causing a problem. Will the company now take the work we were allready getting and transfering it to the UPS Freight ops. The hundredweeight accounts will be targeted the most. Where we would go in and break down paletts of packages weighing less than 150 pounds. These pallets will now be sent as freight, in the ending causing us to lose teamster jobs. The snowball effect is going to cause us to lose feeder jobs, in turn causing layoffs in package and all the way down to loaders and unloaders. The only folks that will win in this situation is the stock holders, not the workers. If the company doesnt want us to believe this is an attempt to transfer the work to thier new operation then they can come up with a way of making the freight operation a union operation with our feeder drivers able to bid into this operation seemlessly. In the end this would show its long term employees that they dont want to replace us with lower paid workers, but that they want to retain the employees that have made the coompany what it is today.

I run an account for Supply Chain. We have an almost untouchable LTL discount from a carrier, and that still doesn't touch hundredweight pricing. All Supply Chain accounts have incentive to move volume into small package. The reality is the company is always looking to push volume into the package side, as it is far and away the most efficiently run operation in the industry.

On a related note, I am surprised when I visit the hub where I used to be a loader and notice how different things are compared to as recently as 2002. The number the building runs now isn't the same number. It is still a good operation, but it is more automated that it ever was. The building doesn't run as good a number now, but I suppose there is cost savings in the reduction of people. Maybe the lower number and increased automation is a push financially. Still, it isn't the same place I started with UPS...

beentheredonethat

I don't see that happening. Freight companies, UPS Freight included can't touch hundredweight pricing that UPS samll package can offer.
CWT is a good deal for customers only shipping a relatively small amount of weight. In most all cases we have three rate breakouts based on weight. The first breakout is for 200-499 lbs, the next is 500-999 lbs and the last is 1,000+. The rates for 500-999 is less then the 200-499 rate which makes sense, since usually there is bigger discounts with higher volume\weight. But the rates for over 1000 is actually more expensive per lb then it is for the 500-999 breakout. For companies that ship less then pallet, CWT is an excellent opportunity. For companies that ship one full pallet or more, LTL is better for them. (I'm not saying it's better for UPS or UPS freight or any of the other companies. I'm saying it's better for the customer). UPS bought Overnight because for customer that ship both small pkg and LTL had to use different companies before, unless they used FDX, since FDX had already bought an LTL company. (Actually, they bought a few and branded them all as FDX freight). As a company, we can eliminate duplication in customer service, billing, payroll etc etc. Also, no matter what happens. UPS can't force a customer to use UPS small pkg or UPS Freight or any other service. It's totally up to the customer.

sothpaw

a ups freight employee have any of you been in a union, you talk like you have. Or all what you have been saying is from what you have heard from other people. I have been in a union before where it has come in and you do not lose your pension everything is negotiated!!! From talking to package drivers they are very happy with the union!

mittam

a ups freight employee have any of you been in a union, you talk like you have. Or all what you have been saying is from what you have heard from other people. I have been in a union before where it has come in and you do not lose your pension everything is negotiated!!! From talking to package drivers they are very happy with the union!

this package car driver isn't I have talked with more who are unhappy with the ibt than those who like it

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A couple of thoughts:

First as a customer, I can get a whole pallet of stuff delivered to me via fdx freight for less than 250 bucks. Usually in the 400-450 pound with 30-35 packages on the pallet and within 2 days from anywhere east of the Mississippi, 2-3 days from the west. UPS ground charges would be almost half again to twice that, even at CWT. Sorry, when it comes to making a profit, I have to look at the bottom line. And with almost 90 deliveries to me so far, not one damage or open or lost package via FDX freight. That is somewhat better than the UPS rate for damages and lost packages. UPS has lost 2 and 3 damaged contents in the last 6 months.

As far as what Bob posted, I see the integration of UPS freight as the first step to getting accounts that currently the postal service has.

Say I am a customer that ships a lot of packages all over the USA. I can get a large discount from UPS if I sort and palletized my boxes according to zip code, very similar to what Zone Skipping did for US mail a while back. UPS freight picks up whole trailer loads of packages that are only broken down when they either get to the closest hub, or if large enough, the final center.

This would reduce the amount of handling through the system, it would allow for the quicker movement of packages across the country, and would allow us to move into areas of package volume that normally we could never have touched before.

And yes, I am aware that these loads would not move through the system like normal, thereby not increasing the demand for larger hubs, and more part time people. But it would increase the number of delivery driver positions, which I would see as a huge plus.

JMHO

d

any122

adirondack man
you need to do your homework alot of UPSfrieght drivers are st J drivers cf preston etc. we have alot of ex IBTmembers

D

Dennis in Phx

Re: UPS Freight/CSI

The Trucks you are seeing all white cabs and box's with shelds on sides and back with ups.com are the newly painted or new trucks driven by UPS, Cartage Services Inc. we are almost totally rebranded here in Phx, the Semi's we drive are white cabs, with shields and gray trailers with black wheels, with the silver Rim.....i Honestly think , the purchase of Menlo and the trucking companys are ....keeping ups even with or ahead of the Giants, Fed Ex

stomlinson

A couple of thoughts:

First as a customer, I can get a whole pallet of stuff delivered to me via fdx freight for less than 250 bucks. Usually in the 400-450 pound with 30-35 packages on the pallet and within 2 days from anywhere east of the Mississippi, 2-3 days from the west. UPS ground charges would be almost half again to twice that, even at CWT. Sorry, when it comes to making a profit, I have to look at the bottom line. And with almost 90 deliveries to me so far, not one damage or open or lost package via FDX freight. That is somewhat better than the UPS rate for damages and lost packages. UPS has lost 2 and 3 damaged contents in the last 6 months.

d

I'm not sure how you arrive at UPS CWT costing twice as much as an LTL move. What you pay for LTL is based on what kind of discount the carrier will give you. UPS account representatives, especially those that handle national accounts, will generally discount CWT pricing to beat LTL pricing.

The problem for customers is the frequency and extent of damage. Right now, at the account I manage, we use CWT for certain products. The rate of damage is lower than that of palletized freight, but we do exclude certain produces from CWT.

CWT is another option, and probably doesn't comepletely replace palletized freight moved with an LTL carrier. But it's still a good option.

G

groundhog

UPS purchasing a freight company was a move by the company to make more money. There is nothing wrong with this concept, unless of course they take work away from our operation to make that extra money. I've posted in the past, TEAMSTER.NET, where I see this causing a problem. Will the company now take the work we were allready getting and transfering it to the UPS Freight ops. The hundredweeight accounts will be targeted the most. Where we would go in and break down paletts of packages weighing less than 150 pounds. These pallets will now be sent as freight, in the ending causing us to lose teamster jobs. The snowball effect is going to cause us to lose feeder jobs, in turn causing layoffs in package and all the way down to loaders and unloaders. The only folks that will win in this situation is the stock holders, not the workers. If the company doesnt want us to believe this is an attempt to transfer the work to thier new operation then they can come up with a way of making the freight operation a union operation with our feeder drivers able to bid into this operation seemlessly. In the end this would show its long term employees that they dont want to replace us with lower paid workers, but that they want to retain the employees that have made the coompany what it is today.

cry baby go crying to your leader maybe he will do something like rise your dues because they sure dont do nothing except collect money and smile

jonrocket

Hello everyone, I am interviewing tomorrow for a freight driving position, and wondered if anyone was out there to
give me any usefull info. Let me know. Thanks, jonrocket.