UPS, greatest company in the world to work for!

browniehound

I'm serious. I will defend my statement, but I wanted to get some responses to my subject first. So, please respond with your opininon.

I'm looking forward to reading both positive and negative comments.

Although I don't want to spend one day longer than I have to in the employ of UPS, I truly believe its the best place in America for any blue-collar worker to work at.

Management postitions might be a different story. I don't know how good their options outside the company might be. I look forward to reading some responses because I know there are people that think I'm delirious for making the above statement.

Brownie:peaceful:

HazMatMan

I'm serious. I will defend my statement, but I wanted to get some responses to my subject first. So, please respond with your opininon.

I'm looking forward to reading both positive and negative comments.

Although I don't want to spend one day longer than I have to in the employ of UPS, I truly believe its the best place in America for any blue-collar worker to work at.

Management postitions might be a different story. I don't know how good their options outside the company might be. I look forward to reading some responses because I know there are people that think I'm delirious for making the above statement.

What about electricians?? they make way more than us.

Tony31yrs

tough work, have to eat a lot of crap, but where can you get the pay, benefits and pension we get? You have to sell your soul to UPS with the hours that you have to work, but if you stay healthy-it's worth it. I retired at 50 with a full pension. If I would have gone into teaching I would have had to go to 55.

JustTired

free at last.......
OK......my opinion.
The pay is great.
The actual job is great.
The people you meet are, for the most part, great.

The workload sucks.

Because of that, any enjoyment I used to get out of this job has gone by the wayside. Where was all of this overtime when I actually could have used the money? Now that I don't need it.......I get it.

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago. But my outlook has changed. Next life I'm going to pay more attention in school. I'll take a job I enjoy doing....regardless of pay.

By the way........just a few more months to go!!!!

browniehound

OK......my opinion.
The pay is great.
The actual job is great.
The people you meet are, for the most part, great.

The workload sucks.

Because of that, any enjoyment I used to get out of this job has gone by the wayside. Where was all of this overtime when I actually could have used the money? Now that I don't need it.......I get it.

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago. But my outlook has changed. Next life I'm going to pay more attention in school. I'll take a job I enjoy doing....regardless of pay.

By the way........just a few more months to go!!!!

JustTired,
I agree, but I think its the best place to work because of the following reasons:

Best pay in the industry
401k plan
Best health plan that you don't pay a nickle for (In reality people are struggling to satisfy MA requirement for insurance)
Union protection
Job security

Seriously, what more could you ask for? We're pulling in 75 grand a year with fully paid benefits.

Please tell me or post here an individual that could quit UPS and pull down the same package at any other company!

You may think the job sucks, but does it really suck that bad?? Never mind the winter, but 6 months of the year we are wearing shorts, interacting with people and generally we are just out there with our doors open enjoying the weather. Some people would love to have our job.

Yes, we work hard, but so what???? Long hours. Ok, that might be bad. But I have this perspective. The hard work is done first (businesses, bulk stops, pick-ups with over 70's). Come 1730, I'm making 42 bucks an hour and I'm delivering bags of QVC that weigh 1 LB, for some easy OT!

I know there are many of you that do not want to work ANY OT, and thats understandable. But, I have to say, I don't mind working 10 hours a day when my last 2 hours are house calls delivering QVC bags. To me its easy money!

I'm also single, so people with a family probably disagree with me. To me, it doesn't matter if I work until 20:00 on a Tuesday. It does, however, matter if I work until 20:00 on a Friday!:wink2:

local804

tough work, have to eat a lot of crap, but where can you get the pay, benefits and pension we get? You have to sell your soul to UPS with the hours that you have to work, but if you stay healthy-it's worth it. I retired at 50 with a full pension. If I would have gone into teaching I would have had to go to 55.

You could of left the PD at age 39 with a very comparable package.

LeddySS98

I will agree with the poster i think it's a GREAT job, and the fact we get paid so much is the icing on the cake and i'm not even full scale yet. As for it being hard work, I dont even know that I would go that far. I enjoy what I do for the most part, so I dont mind the work load. There are days where nothing goes right, and management does everything wrong, and if i quit right now they would be soooooo sorry... then i stop and think for two seconds that if i quit they'd have me replaced the next day.:knockedout:

I really like the job, and the fact that we get paid so good is just a added bonus.

diesel96

"I'm also single, so people with a family probably disagree with me. To me, it doesn't matter if I work until 20:00 on a Tuesday. It does, however, matter if I work until 20:00 on a Friday!:wink2:"

BINGO....Until you experience juggling work and family life as far as quality time with the ones you love no amount of pay, benefits can measure up to watching your kids grow up from the sidelines and from videos.

Griff

I think it's a good job overall. The majority of people in with a UPS drivers tax bracket are skilled tradesmen or white collar workers. That raises some eyebrows but only on people who have never done the job. In my opinion, we are compensated exactly as the contract states -- [SIZE=-1] fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay. Although I do think a case can be made that people in the major metro areas are slightly underpaid. 70k goes a whole lot farther out in Oklahoma than in Manhattan, COLA doesn't do much to close that gap. As for the "greatest company to work for" bit -- I think that line was true in the past, not anymore. Just because a company (that is a union shop) fairly compensates their employees doesn't make them the greatest company to work for. UPS as a corporate entity has done some nasty things to some of their employees over the years and continue to do so and that can't be overlooked.
[/SIZE]

local804

"I'm also single, so people with a family probably disagree with me. To me, it doesn't matter if I work until 20:00 on a Tuesday. It does, however, matter if I work until 20:00 on a Friday!:wink2:"

BINGO....Until you experience juggling work and family life as far as quality time with the ones you love no amount of pay, benefits can measure up to watching your kids grow up from the sidelines and from videos.

aint that a fact jack!
nothing will replace the bond my son and I have and I will not miss the experiance of fatherhood and watching him grow up and play ball.
We work to live not live to work! I just wish some people will understand.

ps even with spygate, they still lose lool llool

upsdude

When a job gets to the point I can’t sleep at night or causes me serious health problems, I’m gone. There’s a lot I don’t like about UPS but it isn’t enough to keep me from logging 21 years so far.

UPS was founded and run by a guy that never married. He never had any children. He never missed any ball games. He never missed an anniversary or birthday. He never missed his kids school program. He never had to worry about any of those things, all he had to do was work. When the boss is working 24/7, the folks under his control tend to work long hours too. The “culture” was born and it’s alive and well in 2008.

Now, before anyone bashes me for taking a shot at Jim Casey, forget it. Mr. Casey was from all indications a very smart man and a visionary. He started what has turned into one of the greatest companies on the planet. However, as I stated above, he started a culture that placed work before family and we’re still dealing with it today. Had he demanded less of his supervisors and managers, maybe things would be different today. Or maybe UPS would be on a list of companies that no longer exist. Who knows.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like the job. I like the physical labor, keeps me in shape. I hate, hate, hate starting at 8:50. It's percieved by the public as the best company in the world to work for. I'm proud to wear the brown but will not miss it for one second after I retire.

hdkappler

:happy2:anyone read naber another ups website.:happy-very:a driver wrote in about one ofcustomers.what he said about ups employees.:funny:they have nothing to complain about.1.good pay.2.free benifits.3.retirement.:smart:he said he doesn"t have it that good where he works.:wink2:he said that ups drivers earn 25.00 an hour.he would drive for only 12.50-13.00 an hour.and work 60hours a week.:peaceful:48 weeks out of the year.:greedy:i wonder would those people really work for ups?

brown bomber

brown bomber
you might not pay a nickel for health-care...however my out-of-pocket medical expenses have increased dramatically....dental and vision coverage has not increased in probably 10 years or more...I guess that's because it costs less now