UPS Health Benefits Shock for Retired Union Employees

moco

all working fulltime upsers need to be aware of these letters and premium increases.this is what they they have to look forward to when they retire.they in turn need to call there local and express their concern.all retirees should do the same.if this issue is important to the rank and file and we let it be known to the ibt the more chance the ibt will make this a priority and address this issue.it is a contact year now is the time.if we sit back and do nothing were going to be paying these premiums come august.make copies of these letters ,get them out to every upser out there.write on the top "this is what you have to look forward to when you retire.premiums were $50,contract your union and express your concern".its up to us to get the word out.

mintlp

I spoke to my Teamster Representative, he said that they were going to meet for the Western Conference contract negotiations and that UPS Healthcare for Retirees and current Employees is going to be a topic at the meeting. We had a good talk regarding the issue of Healthcare. He is personally just as concerned about the price hike as us Retirees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Burnt out retired ups worker

I'm really curious,will healthcare costs for retired management go up also???

It went up years ago.
Management accrues $250 per year served to pay for their Healthcare cost.
For a management person retiring with 25 years - 25 years x $250 = $6250 per year.
This management person has to pay 100% above the $6250.
Welcome to our world ... well almost.

Ms.PacMan

It went up years ago.
For a management person retiring with 25 years - 25 years x $250 = $6250 per year.

So this amount changes with years of service. Seems there is some wiggle room for the IBT members.
30 years x $250 = $7500 per year

In the 705 lawsuit (2009) I think UPS stated the actual cost of H&W was about this amount or maybe $8K/person - I'd have to go back and look.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama allows no wiggle room........everyone is affected and will be affected with increases introduced 'til 2020.

The only ones that seem to escape are the congress people who refuse Obamacare (why? if it's such a great plan).

Bite the bullet!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Obama allows no wiggle room........everyone is affected and will be affected with increases introduced 'til 2020.

The only ones that seem to escape are the congress people who refuse Obamacare (why? if it's such a great plan).

Bite the bullet!!!

But it's called the Affordable Care Act?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

So this amount changes with years of service. Seems there is some wiggle room for the IBT members.
30 years x $250 = $7500 per year

In the 705 lawsuit (2009) I think UPS stated the actual cost of H&W was about this amount or maybe $8K/person - I'd have to go back and look.

Latest figure I saw was $9200 per person.

The UPS Management Retiree Insurance Plan was set up decades ago with money accrued and set aside for the length of the management employee career. I don't know if the Teamsters or UPS set aside monies over time to fund the Teamster Employee fund beyond the apparent $6250 per year ceiling.
Also, management pays 100% of the amount over the calculated coverage where it appears the Teamster employee pays 50% above the $6250 ... be careful what you ask for!

Ms.PacMan

Latest figure I saw was $9200 per person.

The UPS Management Retiree Insurance Plan was set up decades ago with money accrued and set aside for the length of the management employee career. I don't know if the Teamsters or UPS set aside monies over time to fund the Teamster Employee fund beyond the apparent $6250 per year ceiling.
Also, management pays 100% of the amount over the calculated coverage where it appears the Teamster employee pays 50% above the $6250 ... be careful what you ask for!

Your $9200 estimate sounds nearly dead on. ($9200-$6250)/12=$246/mo for a single - which is a buck and change away from the new rates in the letter.

I'm still going to guess that UPS has set aside the same amount per person/ per year for IBT members getting UPS insurance, as current mgmt, because actuarially, all people have the same health risks in general and it would be foolish to ignore that.

So I'll take another guess that they negotiate to raise the cost/yr ceiling in the contract to $7500/person/yr ($250*30) which would leave $1700/yr or $141/mo for a single to be paid for by the retiree. IMO - UPS will leave the cost at $50/mo for current retirees and those that retire before the start of the next contract.

willybad

i called my teamsters local today.they said they have nothing to do with our insurance.after talking to them ,i thought,why would they possibly try to help us?all those upsers that were going to retire soon,might not.they'll have more money going in,and less going out.not to mention if those of us that can't make it on a 20% reduced income, get a job,it might be grounds to cancel our pension.then they have even less money going out.ups is going to screw us,and teamsters is going to let them.i'm glad a lot of you guys made better choices with your money,and a lot of you are closer to medicaid.our insurance cost going up 10x what it is now,won't mean as much to you in august,but what if it goes up 10x every year?i gave ups and teamsters 32 years.my knees are shot,my hips are shot,my back is shot,and my blood pressure is going up as i type.i need my insurance ,but it seems only a matter of time before they raise the price so high i can't pay it.is there really nothing we can do?

beentheredonethat

It went up years ago.

If I'm not mistaken it's capped at 30 total years. So even if a mgmt person has 35 years in, we only get the 30 multiplier. Also, in the past (pre 1990 or pre 1991) the number was 750 per year, but around that date, they lowered it to 250 per year. (The mgmt folks got enhanced a long time ago). So folks like me who still have about 10 years (minimum) left I'll have about 3 years at 750/yr and 27 at 250 a year. So when I retire in 10 years UPS will cover the first 9,000 and I'll pay 100% of the rest. For folks who started in 91 or so, their max is 7500. Then as Hoax said, we pay 100% past that.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet

Bite the bullet!!!

What the dell does this topic have to do with Obamacare? The fact of the matter is that the US health care system is broken, sucking down about 18% of our GDP, costing us about twice what every other civilized democracy pays for their health care. And we get worse outcomes. We have quotes here from respected, non-partisan organizations stating what the average premiums are that are paid by large employers for the health care of their employees, and we have compared those numbers to the $50 per month that many have been paying up until now, and commented that that number is not sustainable.

If anything, the ACA may help retirees find better prices for their health care for two reasons: exchanges, and the fact that the greedy insurance companies MUST spend more of their premiums on actual, you know, health care, instead of bonuses for their CEO's. Lots and lots of people got rebate checks this year from companies that couldn't do that.

We get that you hate Obama and everything he stands for, but puhleeze....

moreluck

golden ticket member
OK, put your way.......Obamacare is the answer and everyone's healthcare costs will be reduced between now and it's full implementation by 2020.

Feel good moment??? Not practical in people's planning of their budgets.....some still use budgets.

kingOFchester

TDU responds.

"why is the company sending out a notice now? It's a bargaining tactic, plain and simple."..................."The company doesn't really expect to impose the costs in its memo. By sending out a notice with inflated rates, the company is trying to soften up retirees and our negotiators to accept higher monthly premiums."................................UPS Teamsters need a pension increase, not a retiree healthcare hike."

UPS Threatens Retiree Healthcare Hike | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

brez3903

Re: Health Benefit Shock

I retired in 1999, in my retiree health benefit book, hidden deep in the middle of the book, is the $6250.00 cap and the right for UPS to raise the $50.00 a month to whatever if they spend more than $6250.00. It also states that the raise will begin on the next contract date, The way the letter states the increase is the way it is in the book. I'll be honest I missed that and when you leave nobody tells you that either not the company and not the Local.