UPS Hubs Losing Sleeper Runs

Blackbeauty7123

Anyone else’s hub losing any team runs or consolidating to other hubs? I know the company has added many teams across the nation over the current contract with supposedly more plans in the future. But I’m hearing final details are still being worked out but the timeline is around April/May and quite a few locals across the country including Chicagoland will be affected by this move the company has decided to make.

ManInBrown

Going to be a lot of feeder drivers working pallet docks and the inside hub. They way overhired because of Covid and now if sleeper drivers transition to local because of cancelled sleeper runs, there isn’t anywhere near enough work to go around. if the economy was booming there wouldn’t be enough work so imagine what it’s going to be like because it’s slow.

Thebrownblob

Going to be a lot of feeder drivers working pallet docks and the inside hub. They way overhired because of Covid and now if sleeper drivers transition to local because of cancelled sleeper runs, there isn’t anywhere near enough work to go around. if the economy was booming there wouldn’t be enough work so imagine what it’s going to be like because it’s slow.
Feeder schools canceled

ManInBrown

Feeder schools canceled
Over 25 jobs here poof. Here’s what I’ve heard. The jobs are being cancelled week ending 5/6 but some will be put back in, but will not be the same exact runs. Some will be permanently cancelled. They will have to rebid. This is all to avoid teams pulling empties. They are saying they are optimizing the runs. I guess optimize is tweaked. I heard in the last month feeder dispatch was trying to dispatch teams to places they weren’t scheduled to go to avoid pulling empties and they wouldn’t do it, which I don’t blame them why would you. But that’s what caused all this. When business is boomin pulling empties probably isn’t a big deal no one is watching. Carol must’ve got a look at things.

Last edited:

Blackbeauty7123

I hear in Chicagoland they’re consolidating all surrounding hubs to CACH. All incoming drivers will dovetail in with their optimized runs. Other hubs across the country are cutting team runs and redirecting the volume elsewhere.

ManInBrown

I’m not a sleeper driver but this affects every feeder driver at UPS. You can’t just drop 100s if not thousands of sleeper drivers back into the local network. Many will be laid off, bumping language will begin. They’re saying here that there will be no interruption to sleeper jobs. The ones that are in place now are cancelled W/E 5-6 and the week they are canceled there will be different sleeper runs that will now be bid on a week to week basis until the tweaking is complete and when that is done the new “optimized” runs will go up to be bid on permanently for the year.

How many runs will be put up to be bid on a week to week basis only they know. How many will be put up when the tweaking is complete only they know. How many runs will be lost from what we currently have? Really piss poor planning by ups as usual. What a shocker.

Thebrownblob

My local is hiring feeder drivers here more than they ever have in the past.
Up until the end of last year we were doing the same, personally I think this is a lot like the 22.4 layoff situation. Mostly to create drama and confusion during contract negotiations. Almost all the 22.4’s are already driving again here.

542thruNthru

Up until the end of last year we were doing the same, personally I think this is a lot like the 22.4 layoff situation. Mostly to create drama and confusion during contract negotiations. Almost all the 22.4’s are already driving again here.
We've been lucky. No layoffs here yet. We also have a small feeder department so that might help us on that end as well.

Blackbeauty7123

That’s exactly what they’re doing. No surprise at all. From what I’m told all Illinois 710 and part of Wisconsin will be consolidated to CACH, EARMO is affected as well. Things are getting very interesting indeed.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Semi-annual bidding that was to start here next week being delayed possibly a month. Optimizing sleeper bids is what we're hearing also. I'm in same local as the new EZRPA superhub. Our BA saying that while sleeper jobs overall nationwide will decrease(he also said company wants to utilize rail more now), our local is actually going to increase in number of sleeper bids. We shall see what happens, all we can do.

thewarlocklord

Utah is losing 19 runs.. lots of people freaking out

Attachments

• 20163B6B-ACC3-4B32-9743-F7E704E7E8C6.jpeg
    20163B6B-ACC3-4B32-9743-F7E704E7E8C6.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 54

DOK

Wouldn’t they just get laid off?