UPS Hubs Losing Sleeper Runs

TheDick

They're setting the system up to run as bare bones as possible, and add feeder pvd's while the strike is in action this summer.

ManInBrown

They're setting the system up to run as bare bones as possible, and add feeder pvd's while the strike is in action this summer.
This actually does sound like a plausible theory but the problem is that it’s never going to fly in strong locals. Where I am 177, they don’t and could never get away with using contractors outside of peak. Places like Wilpa I can see, they might as well not even be unionized. That place is a joke. Contractors at the gate year round dropping loads. Contractors at the dispatch desk at peak. Doesn’t add up for everywhere.

qdg2

Wouldn’t they just get laid off?
No. Generally they would bump. Off the street hires would go to inside as they never did pkg. Unqualified. It would be interesting for the company as they would have much higher paid folks doing part-time work......something they do not want.

Generally.

Trucker Clock

Nope.

They cannot, and will not, run "bare bones." Is what they are doing is trying to scare the membership by eliminating jobs, discharges, layoffs, etc. Typical UPS tactic. Typical anti-union tactic.

They will tell us that if we accept their offer, everything will go back to the way it was.

People forget that UPS was a private Company last strike. They now have stock holders to appease. And they have major players holding their stock. Stock holders will lose billions, for many years to come, if Carol pushes too hard and makes us walk.

We are not asking for anything outrageous, except for maybe a paid Holiday for Martin Luther King Day and Juneteenth. Nothing personal against those days, but to ask for a Holiday when the competition is still working, when most businesses are still open, except the Government, is a bit ridiculous. The Union knows it will not get them, but may trade this proposal for something else. Classic negotiating tactic.

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
Shouldn't be an issue. Isn't everyone in Utah Mormon and have like 7 wives. Tell them to get a damn job!
I think they do. 8 incomes in one household- 4x better than monogamist households right? Ok maybe not but I know they have something going on because I’ve delivered to some of their mansions. Would make tony stark jealous. Absolutely insane.

PreTrippin’

Feeder PVDs?!?
1679122751749.jpeg

PreTrippin’

My local is hiring feeder drivers here more than they ever have in the past.
I’ve seen 2 secondary sign up lists in the last year because they apparently can’t fill enough feeder spots in my local even from part timers. I’ve met several guys hired off the street into feeders. I never see them again because they quit, get fired or crash but still.

Johney

No. Generally they would bump. Off the street hires would go to inside as they never did pkg. Unqualified. It would be interesting for the company as they would have much higher paid folks doing part-time work......something they do not want.

Generally.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they bump into part time work don't they go to a lower pay rate after so many days out of their regular job? That's how it works here. Also how do they determine what that rate would be if you never worked inside? We don't have outside hires in feeder so.

ManInBrown

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they bump into part time work don't they go to a lower pay rate after so many days out of their regular job? That's how it works here. Also how do they determine what that rate would be if you never worked inside? We don't have outside hires in feeder so.
You don’t go to a lower rate. You work where they tell you to work for the same pay rate as if you were in the seat.

Johney

You don’t go to a lower rate. You work where they tell you to work for the same pay rate as if you were in the seat.
Nice, just the opposite here. You work 30 days at said new job you go to that rate you’d be making if you had that job since the beginning. It generally never got that bad because most were RPCD and just went back to slinging cardboard

ManInBrown

Nice, just the opposite here. You work 30 days at said new job you go to that rate you’d be making if you had that job since the beginning. It generally never got that bad because most were RPCD and just went back to slinging cardboard
I think that’s what’s happens. I’ve never been laid off so I could be wrong. But I’m pretty sure here you keep the same pay rate. That’s why the company hates when it happens because they really aren’t saving money aside from less vehicles on the road so insurance and fuel cost. Maybe you are right because wouldn’t lay-off language age and pay rate be a nationwide across the board thing? I couldn’t imagine layoff pay rate would vary local to local.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think that’s what’s happens. I’ve never been laid off so I could be wrong. But I’m pretty sure here you keep the same pay rate. That’s why the company hates when it happens because they really aren’t saving money aside from less vehicles on the road so insurance and fuel cost. Maybe you are right because wouldn’t lay-off language age and pay rate be a nationwide across the board thing? I couldn’t imagine layoff pay rate would vary local to local.
It definitely does. Here if you bump back to part-time you get the top wage rate of whichever classification you work in or the wage rate of the highest-paid part-timer in the building, whichever is higher. My old building still has a part-timer who is red-circled from back in the 80's before the split between PT and FT rates so anyone laid off and forced to bump back inside will get whatever that guy gets.