Ups lay offs.

Indecisi0n

My building is doing so bad they just rented out the parking lot to a traveling circus . Now we don't have anywhere to park our cars for work but I guess at least it has pushed off layoffs for now .

He had his 18 yr old daughter (his helper this year) doing it 2 me also
tenor (4).gif

FromOffTheStreets

I think they wisely geared up for peak this year by putting in many more routes(38last year to 46 this).

The expected volume didn't show up though so they scrambled to salvage a $-# before quarter ended.
Don't get gas, get uhauls back asap.

There were 4 uhauls out on route on Christmas eve & an order must have came down from on high that they had to be back that business day. Management was scrambling hard that day.

5Cube4Life

Lay offs started Monday here. All peak I was done and punched out by 5:00p-5:30p. This Thursday and Friday I punch out at 8:00p. Had seasonal drivers as helpers both days. All seasonals and low seniority drivers laid off, Wednesday thru Friday. Some route drivers took layoffs for low seniority guys to work. Post peak seems the same as last year here, but actual peak was the easiest ever.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My building is doing so bad they just rented out the parking lot to a traveling circus . Now we don't have anywhere to park our cars for work but I guess at least it has pushed off layoffs for now .
Sounds like you’ll have a good pool of part timers to hire in case volume picks up.

Everything that’s happened this peak is the result of a perfect storm of sorts. First, for half the year the media reported that we would strike over the contract. Retailers saw this and knew they couldn’t take the chance if we did and it lasted into the Christmas season. So, they adjusted their shipping to other carriers just in case.
Second, Wall Street has taken notice of Amazons push in self delivery. This caused the drop in everyone’s stock. If you look even LTL companies are down this year.
Third, corporate made big fourth quarter income predictions based on last years crazy numbers. Overstuffing and lower numbers sent them into panic mode. Bad fourth quarter earnings would drop the stock more so they just cut anything that could be.

That’s my 2 cents anyway.

Mason3000

Try driving through Ireland, where Northern Ireland is miles, then you cross over to The Republic of Ireland, and it’s kilometers.

"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism."

- Kenny Powers

CoolStoryBro

You haven't heard? 30% of drivers are going to get laid off. And everyone will have an 8 hour dispatch as there is no overtime allowed in 2019.