UPS ORION

upsmannc

Brown For Today
So my center just got the GPS and the cradles installed for the board to sit in. Hows everyone like the GPS. Pros and Cons?

Nah
So my center just got the GPS and the cradles installed for the board to sit in. Hows everyone like the GPS. Pros and Cons?

Pros: You can run a route blind and not be out for 14 hours.

Cons: Sometimes it wants you to go through a fence or building. You might become dependent on it if you're not paying attention to where you are.

Cloud

I like it because it keeps the DIAD charged and it provides some sort of guidance for routes you get sent out on blind. But don't rely on this crutch because not all the cars are gonna have it...as much as they want you to believe.

Now the downsides are the 5 million messages you will start to get about using the cradle from your center...and sometimes they don't connect properly. Sometimes it wants you to plow through a fence or wall because it thinks there's a road there since this GPS system isn't exactly the most up-to-date software. And next stop needs to be selected if you are not going to the stop at the top of the board.

bumped

When the map nav and cradle first came to us the navigation wanted a driver to go down a larger than average sidewalk. It was raining and a newer package car driver tried to drive down this walkway. The package car was way too wide, and tore up a total of 4 lawns. Large ruts alongside the walkways. Of course, there was customer complaints about this.

My smart ass question was if this was considered 1 accident or 4 accidents. I didn't get a reply.

JJinVA

Only thing I don't like about nav is, it's worse than my 1990's tom-tom gps. I wish they used apple's maps instead or a comparable software. Sometimes the nav thinks you're on the next street over if you are in an area where the streets are close together despite it knowing you just made a delivery on the street you're currently on. It has no memory in that regard. It doesn't even remember which way you were facing when you stopped.

One thing is for sure, if there's a better tech out there, UPS will spend billions to develop an inferior one

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Only thing I don't like about nav is, it's worse than my 1990's tom-tom gps. I wish they used apple's maps instead or a comparable software. Sometimes the nav thinks you're on the next street over if you are in an area where the streets are close together despite it knowing you just made a delivery on the street you're currently on. It has no memory in that regard. It doesn't even remember which way you were facing when you stopped.

One thing is for sure, if there's a better tech out there, UPS will spend billions to develop an inferior one

Not knowing which way you’re facing has gotten me a few times.

JJinVA

I like when mapnav has me exit the freeway and stop at a red light. Only to continue forward onto the freeway onramp and get back on the freeway.

Or when it tries to get me to take a non-existent exit ramp off the interstate. Lets just go ahead and jump this jersey wall to save some gas

Est.1998

I like when mapnav has me exit the freeway and stop at a red light. Only to continue forward onto the freeway onramp and get back on the freeway.
It had me get on the highway going south, travel half a mile, take the next exit, then get on the same highway to go north, exit highway to get right back on going south.
I almost had late air fooling with that thing.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Our center is less than 3 minutes away from the major highway. A straight shot no turns necessary.....it’s amazing how many alternate routes Orion has come up with to get there