UPS PE Management are now denying safety items.

PE Pro

OK, PE Pro. You've vented on the internet, so what do you do next? Do you bring it to the attention of someone higher up the food chain, or do you buy your own gloves and sleeves?
called and e-mailed Atlanta on the sleeves -since I use them
gloves went to my hourly safety rep-since -I rarely ever use them
buy my own to do UPS work? I don't think so

Phlipper

As a PE mgmt person I have no problem getting the equipment or tools my mechanics need to do their job and to do it well. However, if they were constantly causing me problems, complaining about everything, going out of their way to not be what I consider skilled labor I might also have some budget issues on some non-essential, non-safety related items tools. I believe we get more done when we work together. If my guys are successful I am successful, if we are working together as opposed to against each other we are also more successful.

If you are actually a PE mechanic there is a list of tools that you must provide yourself (yes you buy your own to work for UPS, that is part of the deal when you signed up) and there is a list of tools and equipment that UPS will provide. Are your sleeves on either list? You also get a $300 tool allowance every year. After taxes you can buy yourself $180 / $.28 = 642 gloves. That should be more than plenty to last you the 252 days you will work next year.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As a PE mgmt person I have no problem getting the equipment or tools my mechanics need to do their job and to do it well. However, if they were constantly causing me problems, complaining about everything, going out of their way to not be what I consider skilled labor I might also have some budget issues on some non-essential, non-safety related items tools. I believe we get more done when we work together. If my guys are successful I am successful, if we are working together as opposed to against each other we are also more successful.

If you are actually a PE mechanic there is a list of tools that you must provide yourself (yes you buy your own to work for UPS, that is part of the deal when you signed up) and there is a list of tools and equipment that UPS will provide. Are your sleeves on either list? You also get a $300 tool allowance every year. After taxes you can buy yourself $180 / $.28 = 642 gloves. That should be more than plenty to last you the 252 days you will work next year.

In short, don't bite the hand that feeds. A novel concept.

PE Pro

This sounds about typical. Let me repeat back to you what I read above. You have no problem getting your mechanics the equipment or tools they need. However if you have any mechanics that are going to hassle you by sticking up for themselves then you might just retaliate against them and have some budget issues on some things that you normally wouldn't if they would just shut up do it, do their job and keep their complaints to themselves.

FYI Our supplement has no tool allowance language. A disposable sleeve a tool? You must be kidding. I suppose next you will view a dust mask as a tool.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
This sounds about typical. Let me repeat back to you what I read above. You have no problem getting your mechanics the equipment or tools they need. However if you have any mechanics that are going to hassle you by sticking up for themselves then you might just retaliate against them and have some budget issues on some things that you normally wouldn't if they would just shut up do it, do their job and keep their complaints to themselves.

FYI Our supplement has no tool allowance language. A disposable sleeve a tool? You must be kidding. I suppose next you will view a dust mask as a tool.

Sounds like a tool to me if it is actually needed. If it's not needed then it doesn't matter what you call it.
1. A device, such as a saw, used to perform or facilitate manual or mechanical work.
2. a. A machine, such as a lathe, used to cut and shape machine parts or other objects.
b. The cutting part of such a machine.

3. Something regarded as necessary to the carrying out of one's occupation or profession:
4. Something used in the performance of an operation; an instrument:

byrdmann007

buddy i been complaining about bad grating since last oct and all i get is that its on order and that they will get to it as soon as possible
complained to stewards and they say that their hands are tied i ve told both management and safety that they'll think different when some one gets hurt :angry::angry::angry::angry:

gloves i buy mine from walmart