Ups Peak Sucks!

UPSwife0174

how do they think you could survive.

They don't think, they simply don't care. It sucks, but it's part of the UPS package. Hubby's been there 14 years now, had to wait 5 years just to get a freaking full time gig after he graduated college due to slow job postings (crappy economy, flights diverted to another hub, etc etc) and that was an undesirable job no one else wanted:bad hours, split job, worked that for 2.5 years before getting cover driver job, and is STILL not getting 40 hours/week guaranteed. Thank god i work. UPS pay is great, but they make you jump through a lot of hoops to get there.

It is what it is. All you can do is hang tight until that progression ends and you're at top pay....3 more days here. Praise jesus. lol. There will be steak next weekend.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
They don't think, they simply don't care. It sucks, but it's part of the UPS package. Hubby's been there 14 years now, had to wait 5 years just to get a freaking full time gig after he graduated college due to slow job postings (crappy economy, flights diverted to another hub, etc etc) and that was an undesirable job no one else wanted:bad hours, split job, worked that for 2.5 years before getting cover driver job, and is STILL not getting 40 hours/week guaranteed. Thank god i work. UPS pay is great, but they make you jump through a lot of hoops to get there.

It is what it is. All you can do is hang tight until that progression ends and you're at top pay....3 more days here. Praise jesus. lol. There will be steak next weekend.
It's all a game just have to be smart enough to make it work for ya that's all. Some got it some dont, that's just being really honest with ya. Not a shot or anything so please don't take it the wrong way.

UPSwife0174

It's all a game just have to be smart enough to make it work for ya that's all. Some got it some dont, that's just being really honest with ya. Not a shot or anything so please don't take it the wrong way.

I didn't, and we've made it work. In the beginning, UPS was just a job that worked around college classes, then we had a family and the benefits (for this area anyway) were simply unbeatable. Hours sucked, but they saved us a lot in childcare expense. We've been lucky in that my job was enough to buy a modest house & support a family. After college, well, it just made sense to stick it out and see if a driver position opened. That was in 2008, and words cannot even express what a relief it will be to finally have his time there pay off.

I do feel for those who are just starting out and looking to make a career that supports a family at UPS. It's set up in a way that that isn't really possible (unless you're one of the lucky street hires I guess)

watdaflock?

Not to seem like I'm changing the topic....figured this was kinda peak related.

How much heavier has your hub been the last couple weeks? Today we were easily 20% higher than what we've been most of the summer.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I didn't, and we've made it work. In the beginning, UPS was just a job that worked around college classes, then we had a family and the benefits (for this area anyway) were simply unbeatable. Hours sucked, but they saved us a lot in childcare expense. We've been lucky in that my job was enough to buy a modest house & support a family. After college, well, it just made sense to stick it out and see if a driver position opened. That was in 2008, and words cannot even express what a relief it will be to finally have his time there pay off.

I do feel for those who are just starting out and looking to make a career that supports a family at UPS. It's set up in a way that that isn't really possible (unless you're one of the lucky street hires I guess)
Lucky street hire back in 86. Glad you took a chance.

LKLND3380

it sucks to be mourning and going every morning to UPS and then having to come back home because there is not work for us.

You reported to work as directed and sent home? Did they ask you if you wanted to go home and give you an option to stay?
You are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours of work

gold14

Can anyone please tell me what date the peak season helpers normally start in general or specifically in New Jersey? Thanks

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Can anyone please tell me what date the peak season helpers normally start in general or specifically in New Jersey? Thanks
come down here in the south, some helpers started last week cause dispatch was told to load up the split cars to 270 with three different zip codes.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
WOW, you guys are just a bunch of stupid Bullys in here. I bet your all dorks that live in you mothers basements still. The guy was just venting and you ripped him apart. Grow Up!!! We are suppose to stick together not rip each other apart.
:censored2::censored2::censored2:
Yup..that's all they do here.. Internet bada$$ess.[/quote]

J

jibbs

Worst peak I've experienced since I started (2012) and it's not even November yet.

I blame management trying to fix what's not broken during the busiest time of year for us. Eff management, man... eff 'em right in the A.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Worst peak I've experienced since I started (2012) and it's not even November yet.

I blame management trying to fix what's not broken during the busiest time of year for us. Eff management, man... eff 'em right in the A.
You working on Black Friday, Jibbs?

J

jibbs

I dunno. I'm back to taking preload one day at a time.

Things are so ridiculous in my center right now that I can't afford foresight.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I dunno. I'm back to taking preload one day at a time.

Things are so ridiculous in my center right now that I can't afford foresight.
Yup...getting ridiculous here too. But in a lot of ways...it's still the same old schnit as every other peak...just with more routes, more useless trainees and WAAY more Amazon packages!

J

jibbs

Yeah.. Same old peak for me, new center manager, new part-time supervisor, 2 new splitters, and a brand new loader across from me every single day on my "belt" of four people.

New rules that every PAL must be circled, every HIN written on every box loaded onto every truck.

New supervisor claiming employees are sabotaging the operation by moving too slow. Old employees standing firm that they're (he's) working as directed.

:censored2: storm at the end of every day. I've put in 4 grievances this week for supervisors working, only because I'm anticipating not being employed putting up with this bull:censored2: for very much longer.