Ups Peak Sucks!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They singled him out or did every loader have to write the same thing??

When we first went back to writing HINs...they wanted Route #, bay # and HIN # written on every package!! I only wrote HIN's and they never said Boo to me about it. Idiots. Why not have me write a personal greeting on every package too? Dear customer, this box was lovingly loaded by BB58...lmao
They're technically all supposed to be doing it, however they don't enforce it, which is what I said to the DM when I went to bat for him.

J

jibbs

Yeah writing all that crap is a waste of time.

According to a supe in my center, it's done to draw attention to the truck you're walking towards as you circle the PAL, write the HIN and stare at the placard while you walk to the truck and load a package.

I asked "So when am I supposed to look where I'm stepping if I'm circling PALs, looking at placards and writing on boxes while I walk."

"You don't do it all at the same time," he tells me.

Well then why are you telling me to do it that way?

:censored2:in' fools, every last one of them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
"Extra" break? Lol, you guys don't know how good you've got it with your mandated breaks and mp3 players and cell phones....

My breaks last about 30sec and consist of trying to inhale as much of a nicotine smoke cloud as I can without collapsing a lung.
If you tell your sup you need to use the bathroom...to cool off for a min, they can't stop you.

Yes, we get a 10 min break...so do YOU and I'll be damned if I'm not going to take every single minute I'm entitled to! My break consists of texting my best friend while smoking 2 cigarettes as fast as I can. And nobody pulls my bulk or covers for me while I take my break...and the belts never stop...so I come back to a giant pile of cardboard schnit after my break. But very rarely do I not take it...I earned it.

It's not like other buildings where the whole building shuts the belts down during breaktime. Hell no. And let us not forget the 9.5 hour peak shifts...with only a 10 minute break!

J

jibbs

Yes, we get a 10 min break...so do YOU and I'll be damned if I'm not going to take every single minute I'm entitled to! My break consists of texting my best friend while smoking 2 cigarettes as fast as I can. And nobody pulls my bulk or covers for me while I take my break...and the belts never stop...so I come back to a giant pile of cardboard schnit after my break. But very rarely do I not take it...I earned it.

Thing about that is it could be construed as job abandonment if you let the work back up like that.

Also, if the work backs up for me and I'm not there to do anything about it, within 3-4min the sort aisle has nowhere to put packages for my "roller belt" because it backs up to the sort aisle. From Sort to the bottom of my belt is maybe 400ft, max.

I can't be away for 10min at a time while the work is flowing steadily without having some serious catch-up to play and bull:censored2: to hear. On the conveyor belts I can let things go by all day and they're simply gathered from the bottom of the belt and recycled through the system. On my rollers, there is no easy way to recycle packages. If they make it to the bottom of the belt and they're not supposed to be there, that's where they're damn well staying until I clear enough room to roll them back up and hand each one individually to the splitters and boy do they send a lot of stuff down my way that aren't meant for my trucks. That's another quick way to get backed up, and another sign of a rookie splitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thing about that is it could be construed as job abandonment if you let the work back up like that.

Also, if the work backs up for me and I'm not there to do anything about it, within 3-4 min the sort aisle has nowhere to put packages for my "roller belt" because it backs up to the sort aisle. From Sort to the bottom of my belt is maybe 400ft, max.

I can't be away for 10min at a time while the work is flowing steadily without having some serious catch-up to play and bull:censored2: to hear.
No, i never walk off the belt without telling my PT sup that I'm taking my break...if he has an issue with it...that's his time to tell me.

Believe me, I'd rather split 10 min into two separate 5min smoke breaks but my center manager decided that's stealing time (it never used to be, and I've worked here longer than her, but whatever.)
So, it's 10min or nothing. Most days I don't have time to use the.bathroom till my shift is over. i'm allowed to, but the ladies room is on the other side of the building...takes longer than 10min to walk there, use it and walk back.

J

jibbs

No, i never walk off the belt without telling my PT sup that I'm taking my break...if he has an issue with it...thats his time to tell me.

And believe me, I'd rather split 10 min into two separate 5min smoke breaks but my center manager decided that's stealing time (it never used to be, and I've worked here longer than her, but whatever.)
So, it's 10min or nothing. Most days I don't have time to use the.bathroom till my shift is over. i'm allowed to, but the ladies room is on the other side of the building...takes longer than 10min to walk there, use it and walk back.

Our "Ladies Room" is an individual toilet with a doorway that looks like the entrance to a cleaning supplies closet.

I think it's just a handicap-accessible bathroom that everybody uses, but it's the only one the women use.

Hell, we've got two men's locker rooms but nothing for the ladies. Kinda sucks for you guys now that I think about it.

And, man... it takes me 10min for me to leave my pull at the end of the day, clock out, get to my car, and make it halfway home, lol. Over 10min to walk from one side of your building to the other, that's just stupid. They need to get y'all some golf carts.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our "Ladies Room" is an individual toilet with a doorway that looks like the entrance to a cleaning supplies closet.

I think it's just a handicap-accessible bathroom that everybody uses, but it's the only one the women use.

Hell, we've got two men's locker rooms but nothing for the ladies. Kinda sucks for you guys now that I think about it.
We have 4 mens bathrooms an a locker room near the 10 separate loading belts (we call them lines) and one ladies room and female locker room..both are located in the back of the building near the primary and small sort...where most of the women work.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
CAM00038.jpg
Really???

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You always make sure you load it if it looks damaged you mean? That is what most preloaders do.
I mean...if I can't fix it with tape...it goes to get rewrapped....especially overweights and irregs. I don't load damaged or open packages...and i can't stand loaders that do...it's complete laziness.

watdaflock?

New rules that every PAL must be circled, every HIN written on every box loaded onto every truck.
New supervisor claiming employees are sabotaging the operation by moving too slow. Old employees standing firm that they're (he's) working as directed.

I don't believe the circled PAL and HIN wrote on every box is a new rule, I just use if PAL is facing outwards towards the isle you don't write the HINs on the box.....at least that's what our center manager allows.

I do know some "senior" union loaders never write HINs on boxes and follow a "just get it close" method.

J

jibbs

Brother, I know what they're telling me. Whether the rule's company-wide, regional, restricted to a single building or just being directed solely at me, that's what I've been told to do for the past couple of days.

The PAL label's been my method for years. All of a sudden, that's not good enough. Funny thing about that is the PAL'll tell you more information about the package than anything I would ever write on them.

[EDIT: God's honest truth? I pissed off a higher up manager (don't know the title) with a misload that, for whatever reason, he felt obligated to drive out and handle himself earlier in the week. A single misload after ~3 a month average for months now, and the :censored2: storm rains.

In a way I feel I deserve it, but in another way I feel like :censored2: them.]

Last edited by a moderator: