UPS says some Christmas deliveries delayed

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Our management across the country are at fault... Our customers paid a premium for last minute shipments. We were understaffed and hire many incompetent seasonal drivers...We are UPS... We have the financial resources to keep up with the growth of amazon, walmart, ect shipping expectations.. Management cuts routes to "make there numbers" 10 months out of the year and failed big this peak..We are better than this..Our center is from the 60s.. Some how we were clean christmas eve but 20% of our drivers had 14-16 hour days with helpers to pick up for the seasonal guys going out with 9-10 hour day running 2 hours over all peak...2014 needs a better plan and result..
Aint going to happen 18 peak days next year and 19 the year after. Hell the next 2 years

purplesky

What the hell happened in Dallas? I understand they were short staffed by about 60 feeder drivers? They were behind on over a million packages down there?

That must have been one hell of a ice storm.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What the hell happened in Dallas? I understand they were short staffed by about 60 feeder drivers? They were behind on over a million packages down there?

Keep in mind that Dallas is ill-equipped to deal with a few inches of snow, let alone a once-in-a-lifetime ice storm.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

From what I saw on the news, the Dallas area (on up into Oklahoma) was shutdown for 3 days.

purplesky

Did you guys notice how many big retailers had free overnight shipping on Monday.

If all the big retailers are going to offer free overnight shipping for xmas- eve than UPS and FDX are never going to be able to handle that kind of last minute volume.

The way people shop now with cell phones is so random and last minute you just cant predict realistic peak air volume.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did you guys notice how many big retailers had free overnight shipping on Monday.

If all the big retailers are going to offer free overnight shipping for xmas- eve than UPS and FDX are never going to be able to handle that kind of last minute volume.

The way people shop now with cell phones is so random and last minute you just cant predict realistic peak air volume.
Which is what I have been saying for 2 days now.
The biggest problem is the big shippers (retailers).
I feel very little sympathy for these retailers and only a bit more for their customers.

purplesky

Which is what I have been saying for 2 days now.
The biggest problem is the big shippers (retailers).
I feel very little sympathy for these retailers and only a bit more for their customers.

For customers that have small children that didn't get their package on time for xmas, Amazon and other retailers OR UPS should send a colorful email from Santa that explains Santa got delayed and your present will be here soon.

I think even small children would understand this. I know it sounds corny but kids would know they are getting the gift right after xmas and they would have something to look forward too.

I think some kids would get a kick out of this. This would help parents and take the pressure off their kids disappointment.

purplesky

Dallas must have gotten so far behind that they just couldn't recover and catch up with the new volume.

The Dallas ice storm situation caused a ripple effect in all directions for feeder runs.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????

Here in Mesquite it was a combo of things. Mostly the feeder and shifter manger heads up there collective :censored2:. The yard was designed for the 700 53" trailers and trying to drive on the yard was a complete nightmare. At 1 point there were only 5 trailer on the unload doors out of 40 unload doors. It took over a hour to find and get trailers on the door since there was no way to track where contract drivers and UPS feeders were just dropping trailers anywhere they could find. It was a total cluster.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes, the last minute shopper who buys on line once and gets burned. I actually had to unfriend two people on facebook, coz I got tired of hearing them whine. No mention of the millions who got their stuff we must focus on the one that didnt. Actually telling me how lucky I am to have a job, and how I should have done a better job....Lik I personally messed up her order that she was promised on Tuesday. Insanity.

brown metal coffin

We were called to two meet points for air. Killed my day.

On Christmas Eve they said that there are 8000 pieces of air coming in for the building and that they would shuttle it out to us. I never saw not even one piece. I honestly believe that when it arrived it was to late and that they didn't even process it. Will know tomorrow I guess.

island1fox

When every single DOT card in the building is working 60 a week, when mechanics are put to work shuttling volume, when every single driver has been getting back to the building at 9:30 at night or later, and when the volume of missed packages has been snowballing ever since early December, the true reason for the problem is perfectly clear. We were understaffed. It was a complete and total failure to plan. Period.

sober,

Of course the "Global Warming" exceptional cold and stormy autumn weather had no Impact on the Delivery Systems.

Fedx--the post office --DHL---name them all -----all experienced major problems this year---it is obvious how you left out
the management in "your" building ---I guess they all worked under eight hours per day.

An alternate conclusion - Bonus drivers validate that a motivated employee can make the numbers.

My experience has been, the majority of bonus drivers tend to work during lunch and not take their brakes. So a cover driver (with limited knowledge) who works as instructed get harassed for being .80 over. Some will say "you didn't have enough miles."

Overpaid Union Thug

My experience has been, the majority of bonus drivers tend to work during lunch and not take their brakes. So a cover driver (with limited knowledge) who works as instructed get harassed for being .80 over. Some will say "you didn't have enough miles."

I know for a fact that our bonus babies work through their lunches. And they still are during peak but not getting any bonus. LOL! Yeah……that's a good deal! One hour of free labor times five days a week. Well, you do the math. LOL! Suckers.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Ok

bouns whore

Had a helper 8 hours a day... 15 to 16 hour planned days last 7 working days...2 to 3.5 under allowed daily.. Didnt leave the truck except for apts left after helper due to lack of knowledge on board...Checks have been nice...Thank god my loader is great... 400+stops everyday would be a train wreck if I was searching all day long..I dont understand the dislike for bouns drivers here but it is what is..I do like the fear and loathing avatar though...Goodnight fellow upsers, gotta rest up for another bouns filled day tomorrow...Merry Christmas

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The folks at the top tweaking #s and lining their pockets are responsible. They have little understanding of operations but want to run a worldwide company from an iPad in Atlanta. They have set their standards, made pawns of upper management, and taken all but finger-pointing privileges from lower management. Look to the very top and follow that down a ways. They are extremely verbally abusive and threatening down the chain because their expectations are unrealistic.