UPS says teamsters strike not imminent despite vote approval

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS says teamsters strike not imminent despite vote approval - Atlanta Business Chronicle

UPS expects that the International Brotherhood of Teamsters will approve a strike authorization tonight, but says that the vote does not mean an actual boycott is brewing.

A spokesman for United Parcel Service Inc. (NYSE: UPS) told Atlanta Business Chronicle that the IBT called for a strike authorization vote related to ongoing collective bargaining talks, with the vote to be tabulated and announced tonight.

UPS describes this tactic as a common way to drive media attention and put public pressure on a company during negotiations. The Atlanta-based logistics giant also stresses that the strike authorization vote doesn't give the IBT an ability to call a strike while the current national master agreements are in effect through July 31.

Box Ox

"UPS expects that the International Brotherhood of Teamsters will approve a strike authorization tonight, but says that the vote does not mean an actual boycott is brewing."

Somebody should let that original story headline writer know that a boycott is not the same thing as a strike.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
"UPS expects that the International Brotherhood of Teamsters will approve a strike authorization tonight, but says that the vote does not mean an actual boycott is brewing."

Somebody should let that original story headline writer know that a boycott is not the same thing as a strike.
Semantics?
I boycotted work all the time but never called it a strike.

Box Ox

Semantics?

No. You can call not going to work a boycott, but it’s not a boycott.

boy·cott
ˈboiˌkät/
verb
  1. 1.
    withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Semantics?
No. You can call not going to work a boycott, but it’s not a boycott.

boy·cott
  1. withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.
Exactly! I withdrew from my social relations with UPS in protest.

Thanks for clarifying my point and for having my back.

Box Ox

Exactly! I withdrew from my social relations with UPS in protest.

Thanks for clarifying my point and for having my back.

If you say so. More likely you just used a paid day off or made up an excuse that was not in the form of an explicit protest.

Boycotting your own employer isn't a thing. Could you boycott your personal use of UPS shipping services? Sure.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
If you say so. More likely you just used a paid day off or made up an excuse that was not in the form of an explicit protest.

Boycotting your own employer isn't a thing. Could you boycott your personal use of UPS shipping services? Sure.
I was in management for the last 35 years at UPS.

I took a day off when I felt like it ... not in boycott.

I love Double Standards!!!

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Highly doubtful
Than YOU!!!?
kanye-face-feat.jpg