UPS strikes deal with Teamsters, averting national strike

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS strikes deal with Teamsters, averting national strike - CBS

United Parcel Service workers and their union have reached a tentative agreement on a five-year contract. If approved, the pact averts what threatened to be the first walkout in decades at the shipping giant.

The deal negotiated with the Teamsters covers 250,000 workers -- mostly drivers and package handlers -- and includes pay increases. It also lays the groundwork for Sunday deliveries by UPS.

Denis T, co-chairman of the Teamsters' UPS national negotiating committee, in a statement called the agreement "among the very best ever negotiated for UPS members."

RPSman

I didn't really think they would strike, even with all the scuttlebutt I was hearing that said they would. Different players nowadays, Fed Ex Ground couldn't have handled the extra packages like RPS did in the 1997 strike. Why I say that is because RPS had P & D contractors, maximum 3 routes only given to senior contractors. With this ISP setup, 12 to 15 routes running in old rental trucks with wooden shelves instead of stepvans with bulkhead doors & aluminum shelves. DHL showed after the Airborne acquisition that they couldn't handle the bulk. 1997 players-Emery, Purolator USA & Pony Express Couriers are out of business. Regional parcel companies need to up their game to be serious competitors to UPS.

MAKAVELI

I didn't really think they would strike, even with all the scuttlebutt I was hearing that said they would. Different players nowadays, Fed Ex Ground couldn't have handled the extra packages like RPS did in the 1997 strike. Why I say that is because RPS had P & D contractors, maximum 3 routes only given to senior contractors. With this ISP setup, 12 to 15 routes running in old rental trucks with wooden shelves instead of stepvans with bulkhead doors & aluminum shelves. DHL showed after the Airborne acquisition that they couldn't handle the bulk. 1997 players-Emery, Purolator USA & Pony Express Couriers are out of business. Regional parcel companies need to up their game to be serious competitors to UPS.
I'm pretty sure FedEx took the bulk of the volume during the strike. At least that's what I heard from the old timers.

RPSman

I'm pretty sure FedEx took the bulk of the volume during the strike. At least that's what I heard from the old timers.
Well, you heard wrong, because I was in my first town, the Federal Express driver across the street was wrestling with 3 big boxes. RPS, Airborne, USPS, Emery, Purolator USA & Pony Express Couriers did the work in the trenches. DHL was an afterthought, they ran in white vans with red lettering back then. A lot of regionals signed customers up with the stipulation they would ship packages with them for a year contract. Lack of others to handle packages is why the UPS contract was settled so fast this time

MAKAVELI

Well, you heard wrong, because I was in my first town, the Federal Express driver across the street was wrestling with 3 big boxes. RPS, Airborne, USPS, Emery, Purolator USA & Pony Express Couriers did the work in the trenches. DHL was an afterthought, they ran in white vans with red lettering back then. A lot of regionals signed customers up with the stipulation they would ship packages with them for a year contract. Lack of others to handle packages is why the UPS contract was settled so fast this time
Teamsters Postpone UPS Strike
Other delivery services, such as Pittsburgh-based RPS Inc., likewise said it won't take new customers or are limiting the number of packages each client can ship because it simply doesn't have the capacity.

"We have decided to protect our existing customer base," said Kurt Chase, an RPS account executive in Los Angeles.

MAKAVELI

UPS WEARS AN UNEASY CROWN
According to the Schroder survey, the main beneficiary of this cargo diversion will be Federal Express Corp., which announced in October that it was buying Caliber System Inc., RPS' parent, for about $2.4 billion.

With RPS in its fold, FedEx, which will change its name to FDX when the deal is completed, is expected to increase the pressure on UPS in the hotly contested parcel market.

Even without RPS, FedEx itself was slated to gain 15 percent more business from shippers who want to divert freight to non-Teamsters carriers, said Edward M. Wolfe, who co-authored the Schroder study.

Memphis-based FedEx said it is still hauling about 15 percent of the extra 800,000 packages a day it carried during the walkout.

RPSman

Makaveli, Federal Express did not buy Caliber Systems until AFTER the 1997 UPS strike had been settled, and UPS was back to work. So your statement that Federal Express (the original air carrier) handled the majority of packages during the 1997 strike was WRONG. Even though Federal Express might have picked up 15,000 packages/day, during the strike, their couriers were having trouble handling bigger boxes, as per my earlier quote. The Federal Express terminal was next to ours, their line haul truck was a cube van & they mostly ran in vans, with some running in small pickup trucks with toppers. After Roadway Express was spun off as a separate company with no debt, we got new uniform shirts that were blue and just said RPS. We were still wearing those when I sold my route in the spring of 1999. They DID NOT change the name of RPS to Fed Ex Ground until the fall of 1999. Yes, you are correct in your other quote, RPS did not take everything and anything during the UPS strike, we took care of our regular customers & the increase of packages that they had. But as I mentioned earlier, it was other companies, now out of business who helped RPS & USPS during the strike. I was an RPS P & D contractor up to the day I sold out in the spring of 1999, I never worked for Fed Ex Ground, and I and other RPS contractors are offended that you lumped us in with Fed EX during the strike, when they did not own us then.

MAKAVELI

Makaveli, Federal Express did not buy Caliber Systems until AFTER the 1997 UPS strike had been settled, and UPS was back to work. So your statement that Federal Express (the original air carrier) handled the majority of packages during the 1997 strike was WRONG. Even though Federal Express might have picked up 15,000 packages/day, during the strike, their couriers were having trouble handling bigger boxes, as per my earlier quote. The Federal Express terminal was next to ours, their line haul truck was a cube van & they mostly ran in vans, with some running in small pickup trucks with toppers. After Roadway Express was spun off as a separate company with no debt, we got new uniform shirts that were blue and just said RPS. We were still wearing those when I sold my route in the spring of 1999. They DID NOT change the name of RPS to Fed Ex Ground until the fall of 1999. Yes, you are correct in your other quote, RPS did not take everything and anything during the UPS strike, we took care of our regular customers & the increase of packages that they had. But as I mentioned earlier, it was other companies, now out of business who helped RPS & USPS during the strike. I was an RPS P & D contractor up to the day I sold out in the spring of 1999, I never worked for Fed Ex Ground, and I and other RPS contractors are offended that you lumped us in with Fed EX during the strike, when they did not own us then.
I think we need @Operational needs opinion on this. I think she was at FedEx during the strike.

RPSman

"I think we need @Operational needs opinion on this. I think she was at FedEx during the strike"

I don't care whose opinion you bring in here, I know the facts! I was there and lived it, had just bought a supplemental van, which I rented out to the terminal, made extra money. I was there the morning AFTER the strike, when the Federal Express courier brought in a copy of the video tape that Fred S & Ivan Hoffman had made to explain what was happening and why. I was out on the route, during the strike, as I mentioned Federal Express couriers were encountering difficulties with bigger boxes. I talked to the driver for the Airborne Express contractor & the Pony Express Courier guard/courier. My brother worked in a warehouse in Ohio, Emery came in there to pick up for a regular customer of theirs, but like RPS, wasn't taking any other customers on. Purolator USA was containing their efforts in bigger markets, and the regional package services were very busy, including Eastern Connection and others. In Springfield, MO; they have what they call "express lines" that run from Springfield to a set of small towns. I spoke with the lady dispatcher there, they were picking up stuff in the small towns to bring back to Springfield. Where were you during this strike? You think your hearsay trumps the facts that I lived?

MAKAVELI

"I think we need @Operational needs opinion on this. I think she was at FedEx during the strike"

I don't care whose opinion you bring in here, I know the facts! I was there and lived it, had just bought a supplemental van, which I rented out to the terminal, made extra money. I was there the morning AFTER the strike, when the Federal Express courier brought in a copy of the video tape that Fred S & Ivan Hoffman had made to explain what was happening and why. I was out on the route, during the strike, as I mentioned Federal Express couriers were encountering difficulties with bigger boxes. I talked to the driver for the Airborne Express contractor & the Pony Express Courier guard/courier. My brother worked in a warehouse in Ohio, Emery came in there to pick up for a regular customer of theirs, but like RPS, wasn't taking any other customers on. Purolator USA was containing their efforts in bigger markets, and the regional package services were very busy, including Eastern Connection and others. In Springfield, MO; they have what they call "express lines" that run from Springfield to a set of small towns. I spoke with the lady dispatcher there, they were picking up stuff in the small towns to bring back to Springfield. Where were you during this strike? You think your hearsay trumps the facts that I lived?
Maybe we could get @vantexan opinion about this, I think he was there during the strike.:happy2: