UPS should really do this study

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I would just love for U{S to maybe hire an independent firm to make a comprehensive study of centers pre-pass and post-pass.

It could be categorized by center size years on the system etc.

The results should show the comparison of:

Miles driven
SPHOR
over allowed
planned days
service failures
fuel costs
misloads

I know that since the implementation of pass in my center our miles are way up as well as over allowed and misloads are absolutely ridiculous.

I can count on never having a good day anymore. Every day I can count on going off area to deliver a misload, or having a misload given to me to return to an area to deliver that I had already finished, or get a message an hour or so before going in for the day saying they have x number of packages for me to go back out with that were misloaded or bad pals.

In my opinion pas is a failure, it only adds two more people between the trailer and the package car to insure the package does not get where it is supposed to go.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Re: UPS shoulf really do this study

I would just love for U{S to maybe hire an independent firm to make a comprehensive study of centers pre-pass and post-pass.

Miles driven
SPHOR
over allowed
planned days
service failures
fuel costs
misloads

I know that since the implementation of pass in my center our miles are way up as well as over allowed and misloads are absolutely ridiculous.

I can count on never having a good day anymore. Every day I can count on going off area to deliver a misload, or having a misload given to me to return to an area to deliver that I had already finished, or get a message an hour or so before going in for the day saying they have x number of packages for me to go back out with that were misloaded or bad pals.

In my opinion pas is a failure, it only adds two more people between the trailer and the package car to insure the package does not get where it is supposed to go.

It's my opinion that although PAS may not appear successful, it really has it's advantages.

Packages that are manifested and scheduled arrival at a center or hub can be modified and add corrected days before they arrive in the hub within UDC!

That to me is impressive and something behind-the-scenes most drivers don't pay attention to.

For instance - there were around 900 packages found in data correction on Friday that we attempted to correct within our center....we corrected around 820 of them, over 90% efficiency...

This eliminates alot of bad PALs, incomplete or mistyped 4x6 label problems when the packages arrive to their destination and are SPAd....etc.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

That doesn't happen here. We load them off the trailer into the cars bad pal bad address moved whatever. Usually at least one bad pal and 2 or 3 misloads per car. Not to mention bad addresses and moved or out of business.

Besides that it's been my experience that if I send a package to the clerks they just screw it up. One recent example, I had 3 packages addressed to a business that had been gone for over a year, sent it down (caught it before I left the building) and a day or so later it was delivered per address correction to a residential address, then a day or two after that it was picked up as they had no idea why it was delivered to them, it was not theirs of course. Then the sup comes to me and wants to know what happened as it should have gone to the business address on my route. It's just a circus.

pretzel_man

The study has actually been done and its constantly updated. UPS has a group called BIA. It stands for Business Information and Analysis. They do thest kinds of studies. Sometimes internally, sometimes using outside agencies.

The results for PAS shows overall:
- Miles reduction (about 30 million per year)
- Better delivery scan frequency (20% better I think)
- Better claims frequency
- Increased Net Delivered Pieces per hour (this equates to higher SPORH)

Again, these are averages across the country. Of course, some centers got worse. Some got much, much better.

The last time I saw these numbers was about 4 months ago. As I said, they are constantly updated.

How is this compared to what they expected? Not as great of a performance increase. Probably about 1/2, but way, way, more than needed to make this system worthwhile.

These are the facts. I think we are using the systems only a fraction of what is possible. As it and people mature, we will wonder how we lived without it.

That's how it was with DIAD too.

P-Man

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my opinion PAS is a much more effective system that what was in place before but it still has a long way to go before I will call it a success.

Mike Hawk

I think we need to clone pretzel_man so he can run all the PAS centers where the system isn't being used properly. The system is good on paper, the problem comes up when local management gets involved.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I think we need to clone pretzel_man so he can run all the PAS centers where the system isn't being used properly. The system is good on paper, the problem comes up when local management gets involved.
i agree with Mike Hawk

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

We have been on EDD/PAS for about 4 years now. It is better, and it has improved things. The biggest flaw was in the implementation. Those responsible for implementing it were not given the time, resources or manpower to do it correctly. We are just now at the point where it is working properly.
The first year I was on EDD, I had more delivery service failures in one year than I had in my entire 19-year career prior to that. I was bringing Next Day Air misloads back to the building at the rate of 3 or 4 a week. Now that the system has been fine-tuned, the service has improved, but it took awhile.
It is amusing to see how dependent new drivers have become on having a list of all their stops. When I tell them about "the good old days"...going out in a blown-out P-600 with paper 50-liners for recording stops and having to figure the route out from sequence numbers scribbled on each box with a crayon...they look at me like I'm nuts.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

That doesn't happen here. We load them off the trailer into the cars bad pal bad address moved whatever. Usually at least one bad pal and 2 or 3 misloads per car. Not to mention bad addresses and moved or out of business.

Besides that it's been my experience that if I send a package to the clerks they just screw it up. One recent example, I had 3 packages addressed to a business that had been gone for over a year, sent it down (caught it before I left the building) and a day or so later it was delivered per address correction to a residential address, then a day or two after that it was picked up as they had no idea why it was delivered to them, it was not theirs of course. Then the sup comes to me and wants to know what happened as it should have gone to the business address on my route. It's just a circus.

Every center does data correction. Whether you have seen it firsthand is another story

What'dyabringmetoday???

When I was on delivery, the EDD deal was set up pretty well at our shack. Of course, our on-road is the type that thinks UPS will cease to exist without him so he likes to be at the building 16 hours a day. Point is, he has put a lot of effort into the system so it works well. It is the same as always-crappy loader, crappy load, crappy day; good loader, good day. A lot of the problems now have always existed. Before, it was a supervisor deciding what sections to move around. now, a computer(set up by that same supervisor) decides what sections to move around. It is a well known fact that the numbers are questionable around here, but who cares?? Can't get fired for production, so safety firtst, take good care of the customers, and make it home safely. Your families depend on you.

reydluap

P-Man

I have read a few of your post the last few days on different threads/topics here dealing with PAS. With over 30 years with UPS, I have to agree with your way of thinking. But what the others are posting can't be construed as out of line in their particular areas. If the team that implemented PAS in the Hub/Center WORKED with the drivers with the DOL (Delivery Order Listing), the system is sweet. If they didn't, it sounds like a headache.

I personally requested my DOL and took it home with me. I worked the bugs out of it and gave it back to the team. Because I knew that as soon as the PAS team left our building...my butt was going to have to work with what they created for me the rest of my career. I could see that the team could never learn my area knowledge in a few months. I think...in MY Center, things are going pretty smooth for the most part.

As for UPS wanting to track my every move every day...Bring it on. I'm comfortable that I'm doing my job as efficiently as humanly possible. But I do understand other members concerns in their particular cases.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I personally requested my DOL and took it home with me. I worked the bugs out of it and gave it back to the team.....
I did the same thing...except that instead of doing it at home on my own time, I clocked in 1/2 an hour early for a few days and did it on the clock. My sup was cool with it and he coded it out on on my timecard as clerk work or something.

govols019

You smell that?

we will wonder how we lived without it.

Heck, that's what I think about it now. The other day I left the building without getting EDD and it was tough having to old school it until they brought me another board with EDD.

reydluap

I did the same thing...except that instead of doing it at home on my own time, I clocked in 1/2 an hour early for a few days and did it on the clock. My sup was cool with it and he coded it out on on my timecard as clerk work or something.

I got paid for the hour I worked on it,too. It was just easier going over it in a more relaxing atmosphere, home.

pretzel_man

P-Man

I have read a few of your post the last few days on different threads/topics here dealing with PAS. With over 30 years with UPS, I have to agree with your way of thinking. But what the others are posting can't be construed as out of line in their particular areas. If the team that implemented PAS in the Hub/Center WORKED with the drivers with the DOL (Delivery Order Listing), the system is sweet. If they didn't, it sounds like a headache.

I personally requested my DOL and took it home with me. I worked the bugs out of it and gave it back to the team. Because I knew that as soon as the PAS team left our building...my butt was going to have to work with what they created for me the rest of my career. I could see that the team could never learn my area knowledge in a few months. I think...in MY Center, things are going pretty smooth for the most part.

As for UPS wanting to track my every move every day...Bring it on. I'm comfortable that I'm doing my job as efficiently as humanly possible. But I do understand other members concerns in their particular cases.

Reydlusp:

I agree with you 100%. If I wasn't clear, to do the job right, good communications with the drivers is a must.

You know, this is true whether you are using a computer system like PAS or delivering with alpha load charts, car load diagrams, and DDR's.

Again, you are correct.

P-Man

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

Miles driven
SPHOR
over allowed
planned days
service failures
fuel costs
misloads

hang in there and try to work with the sups it pays off in the end