UPS Stock almost to $120 this week...

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
If the shares have been purchased after 2 years ( mature) you need to convert to B shares ,list certificates on a form and cash. A little paperwork and about 2 weeks.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If the shares have been purchased after 2 years ( mature) you need to convert to B shares ,list certificates on a form and cash. A little paperwork and about 2 weeks.
Do you just print the form out from the compushare website and mail it in?

As I recall, you have to sell in 100 share increments. Unless you have less than 100 shares. If you have less than 100, I think you have to sell all your shares. You can do it on the website. You pick which shares you want to sell, because they all have a different cost basis.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
As I recall, you have to sell in 100 share increments. Unless you have less than 100 shares. If you have less than 100, I think you have to sell all your shares. You can do it on the website. You pick which shares you want to sell, because they all have a different cost basis.
That's just ridiculous.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It seems to me that every year the stock price increases during peak due to increased business, everyone wants to buy. Then, when the earnings report comes out after the beginning of the year, the price corrects downward, and sometimes overcorrects a bit. If it were easier to buy and sell, I would time my transactions appropriately.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It seems to me that every year the stock price increases during peak due to increased business, everyone wants to buy. Then, when the earnings report comes out after the beginning of the year, the price corrects downward, and sometimes overcorrects a bit. If it were easier to buy and sell, I would time my transactions appropriately.

The last thing that you want to do is try to time the market.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That was my experience.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The last thing that you want to do is try to time the market.
Depends on your strategy. I wouldn't say it's the last thing you want to do. Any successful daytrader depends on timing the market. I don't have an issue taking some risks, since I'm not counting on the value of my UPS stock for anything. But, it's too big of a hassle to buy and sell, so it's a risk I can't take anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on your strategy. I wouldn't say it's the last thing you want to do. Any successful daytrader depends on timing the market. I don't have an issue taking some risks, since I'm not counting on the value of my UPS stock for anything. But, it's too big of a hassle to buy and sell, so it's a risk I can't take anyway.

When they first started letting us buy stock it was much easier; however, guys were using it as a piggy bank rather than a long term investment, so they made changes to the length of time that you have to hold the stock and added some more hoops to jump through when it came time to sell.

LeddySS98

Thanks for all the info and opinions so far... As for my plans if I do end up selling it, I was planning on using it to pay down my the principal on my mortgage... I know I'll get a lot of mixed reactions to that, but it just seems silly to me to pay any more interest than I have to while making mortgage payments still.

When they first started letting us buy stock it was much easier; however, guys were using it as a piggy bank rather than a long term investment, so they made changes to the length of time that you have to hold the stock and added some more hoops to jump through when it came time to sell.
OPL was such a great investment.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thanks for all the info and opinions so far... As for my plans if I do end up selling it, I was planning on using it to pay down my the principal on my mortgage... I know I'll get a lot of mixed reactions to that, but it just seems silly to me to pay any more interest than I have to while making mortgage payments still.
What's your intrest rate?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm all for paying off a mortgage as early as possible. I know people will say that you will be better off in the long run with the interest you'll make in the market vs the interest you'll pay on the mortgage. The problem with that theory is if the market crashes just before you are ready to pull your money out, then you have to sit on your thumbs or take the loss (just ask the guys who were ready to retire around 2008). Paying off your mortgage will not only save you interest, but it'll free up the money you were paying every month to invest or spend as you see fit. If I was in a position to pay off my mortgage, I would cash out my stocks in a heartbeat. If you can only pay it down, then I wouldn't be so quick to cash out. I intend to cash out when I'm ready to launch my own business, if I need the capital.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's a decent idea ... conservative but safe.