UPS Stock split 1998 documentation

Re-Raise

I did.
All my savings, thrift plan, I bought stuff just to resale it and make a buck. I begged, borrowed , and stole the day they started letting drivers buy stock. When they opened that door, everyone knew it would be just a matter of time before it went public, no one knew when it was going to happen of coarse. I bought all I could with every nickel I could spare. I had a friend write me two 10,000 dollar checks six months apart. My parents, my in laws, gave me as much as they could. I knew this was going to be a once in a lifetime thing and I was lucky to be where I was when it happened.
I had 20 years in when it happened. I drove 10 more years after I became rich.
November 10, 1999 a date that will live in infamy. Boom.
I remember that you had to buy it in block of 1 UPS share + 3 shares of OPL. They bought out all of my OPL shares when they found it was a cover to avoid paying taxes on the pkg insurance profits.

I bought 10k a year in the two years it was open to drivers, before they froze purchases and announced the IPO.

Wasn’t there a limit per year for an individual to purchase?

Karma...

I was a supervisor at the time.....I and many people browned-out using hypos..I bought a whole lot of stock...that was the time of ipos and figured it was only a matter of time before public.
..the teamsters recommended to their members not to buy stock or be a member of the thrift plan...bad advice.........some teamsters asked me what I was going to do and I said I was buying as much as possible.......some did likewise and are very very happy....the pensions are a pittance compared to ups stock.....pocket money ....much like social security.....I have no regrets on my decision......its usually best to not follow teamster advice.................and that o.p.l was very lucrative

I was a supervisor at the time.....I and many people browned-out using hypos..I bought a whole lot of stock...that was the time of ipos and figured it was only a matter of time before public.
..the teamsters recommended to their members not to buy stock or be a member of the thrift plan...bad advice.........some teamsters asked me what I was going to do and I said I was buying as much as possible.......some did likewise and are very very happy....the pensions are a pittance compared to ups stock.....pocket money ....much like social security.....I have no regrets on my decision......
But when they offered it to us you had to buy and blocks of 50? Maybe?
I can't remember the exact amount but that was more cash than I could afford to spare the time but I did buy some of my thrift plan.

Re-Raise

But when they offered it to us you had to buy and blocks of 50? Maybe?
I can't remember the exact amount but that was more cash than I could afford to spare the time but I did buy some of my thrift plan.
When I bought, I think a block was $43 for the UPS and OPL combo. There were only two hourlies in my center that bought in the couple of years that it was open to us.

That was when the company was toying with the idea of making us “self directed” work groups Lol

They wanted us to feel like co-owners I guess

I bought the max you could through the DESP plan while they were giving the 10% discount after that also.

When I bought, I think a block was $43 for the UPS and OPL combo. There were only two hourlies in my center that bought in the couple of years that it was open to us.

That was when the company was toying with the idea of making us “self directed” work groups Lol

They wanted us to feel like co-owners I guess

I bought the max you could through the DESP plan while they were giving the 10% discount after that also.
Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of money to buy it at the time but I did buy some. In a little bit I had did me well

Re-Raise

Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of money to buy it at the time but I did buy some. In a little bit I had did me well
The DESP plan was great because they sold the shares to you at a 10% discount of the lowest price either at the beginning of the quarter or the end of the quarter that you were buying in.

For example..if the price was $50 on January 1, and rose to $60 on March 31, your purchase price was $45 on March 31!

They did away with that plan after a while! Lol

The DESP plan was great because they sold the shares to you at a 10% discount of the lowest price either at the beginning of the quarter or the end of the quarter that you were buying in.

For example..if the price was $50 on January 1, and rose to $60 on March 31, your purchase price was $45 on March 31!

They did away with that plan after a while! Lol
It wasn't much but I was grateful for the Monday I made off of it.
It helped my family out at the time

DMW

Hello, can someone pls provide documentation of the UPS Stock split in 1998. The 1999 split details can be found on the web cause it was related to IPO but I can't find any documentation regarding UPS Stock split in 1998. I contacted computershare and of course they responded that UPS did not have a stock split

"Dear Sir/Madam:
Thank you for contacting Computershare, the transfer agent for United Parcel Service, Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.
Please be advised that UPS did not have stock splits......."

Can someone pls provide documentation of the UPS Stock split in 1998
Thank you
UPS didn’t split in 1998. It split 2:1 the day of IPO in October 1999. Split 4:1 in 1991 , Split 4:1 1982. And 4 more
Previous splits.

brown7816

UPS didn’t split in 1998. It split 2:1 the day of IPO in October 1999. Split 4:1 in 1991 , Split 4:1 1982. And 4 more
Previous splits.
DMW, thank you for your response but if you ck your statement, you will see that in Feb 1999 the stock price was halved, from $40/ share to $20/share. Unfortunately Computershare or Mellon's documentation sucks because they did not properly ID the transactions. Example, I had stock split certificates issued 11-1999. On my statement, some 11-99 transactions are listed as "Stock split" while others are listed as "transactions". I know preIPO we were provided the little "pricing" cards at MIP meetings & that card will document the split but I don't have that card

DMW

DMW, thank you for your response but if you ck your statement, you will see that in Feb 1999 the stock price was halved, from $40/ share to $20/share. Unfortunately Computershare or Mellon's documentation sucks because they did not properly ID the transactions. Example, I had stock split certificates issued 11-1999. On my statement, some 11-99 transactions are listed as "Stock split" while others are listed as "transactions". I know preIPO we were provided the little "pricing" cards at MIP meetings & that card will document the split but I don't have that card

DMW

Any time you have a stock split, the custodian (Computer Share) is required to adjust the cost basis of any previously aquired shares . IRS RULE

DMW

Any time you have a stock split, the custodian (Computer Share) is required to adjust the cost basis of any previously aquired shares . IRS RULE
When Computer Share responds no splits. They only have access to after our IPO.

DMW

I remember that you had to buy it in block of 1 UPS share + 3 shares of OPL. They bought out all of my OPL shares when they found it was a cover to avoid paying taxes on the pkg insurance profits.

I bought 10k a year in the two years it was open to drivers, before they froze purchases and announced the IPO.

Wasn’t there a limit per year for an individual to purchase?
It was originally 1 share of UPS and 1 share of OPL in 1983. UPS split 4:1 in 1991. Then the ratio was 4 UPS to 1 OPL. Then UPS wanted to get the tax issue with OPL resolved before the IPO.

DMW

Exp. 2:1 split October 1999 ; all my shares acquired before then cost basis was divided by 2 or 50%.
Exp. 4:1. Split August 1991 ;
Therefore, the shares between 1982 and 1991 cost basis will be original cost divided by 8. (The product of 4 x 2)
It was an IRS rule that went into affect around 2012. But it is retroactive. They want to make sure we pay all our taxes applying the correct cost basis.