UPS Sued

10 point

Truth be told you could. Anyone can. I could walk in tomorrow stating that I am no longer shaving because of my religious beliefs. When they ask what religion I converted to you can tell them you started your own and you are required to have facial hair.

What are they going to do?
Call the labor manager.

Overpaid Union Thug

Let me tell you how this one ends. Ups will be forced to have clear cut guidelines and procedures on how to obtain religious exemptions for beards and long hair and will have to disclose as such at the time of application for employment. And in the end a few lawyers get more rich, yawn.
Maybe they'll wise up and relax the grooming standards a bit? LOL! Never mind.

DOK

Knew this was coming. Never ends. A member of ISIS could be a driver and claim that wearing an explosive vest is part of his religion. And that it may or may not go off in the 20 story building he delivers to. Am I that far off?? If beards can be a religious requirement, so can't anything. Someone could claim a religion doesn't allow clothes as God created us naked. So watch out for the nude package car driver.

Fact of the matter is, beards as part of religion is fabricated by man as is all religious rules.

UPS needs to stand their ground on this issue. If their basic appearance rules conflict with your stupid beliefs, go elsewhere. Hell, FedEx will take your hobo appearance.

Plus, doesn't the religion call for a long beard? Looks like a safety hazard to me. Is it discriminatory to require women to put their hair up?

I've seen feeder drivers with duck dynasty beards come into our building, so someone is already getting the religious exemption. I think the lawsuit is stating the applicants weren't told about the exemption process, just told to shave or no job. Which personally I think ups has a right to do.

10 point

Appearance audits are a joke when the truck exterior look like trash from not being washed and the rims are so filthy that you can't check for rust around the lug nuts.

SmithBarney

Let me tell you how this one ends. Ups will be forced to have clear cut guidelines and procedures on how to obtain religious exemptions for beards and long hair and will have to disclose as such at the time of application for employment. And in the end a few lawyers get more rich, yawn.

Exactly, just like getting Longer shorts... ie "Mormon" shorts you had to get a religious exemption for them at my Center back in the day.

browntroll

these guys really trying to get rich of their body hair and religion? i hope the company doesnt cave on the issue.
the last thing i want to see is some bearded guy with crumbs in his beard, dripping sweat from his beard because of hot summer
weather handing me a box. im atheist so i cant understand/comprehend this but i do believe the company can decide if they want
their drivers to look a certain way. if they dont like the policy im sure 7 eleven will hire them and they can keep the beard.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
UPS(any company for that matter) has every right to have certain rules and protocols in place within their company. To sue to have these rules abolished to satisfy personal needs is a joke. If you cannot meet the company's criteria for employment then perhaps another business would be a better option for you.
This stems from the "entitlement" mentality that is predominant and running rampant in our society today. If people can't have it their way, by damn, they will make sure they get their way.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
UPS(any company for that matter) has every right to have certain rules and protocols in place within their company. To sue to have these rules abolished to satisfy personal needs is a joke. If you cannot meet the company's criteria for employment then perhaps another business would be a better option for you.
This stems from the "entitlement" mentality that is predominant and running rampant in our society today. If people can't have it their way, by damnt, they will make sure they get their way.

Don't forget we are talking about Obama style liberalism.

Rain Shield

I could take photos of a lineup of drivers in my hub who have tats and beards. I am talking visible tats to the wrist and short sleaves. Dreds, beards, etc.

I am at a hub, so it is not only our guys, but feeder drivers from other states.

This guy will win. To say the dress code is a company wide followed rule is a joke.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I could take photos of a lineup of drivers in my hub who have tats and beards. I am talking visible tats to the wrist and short sleaves. Dreds, beards, etc.

I am at a hub, so it is not only our guys, but feeder drivers from other states.

This guy will win. To say the dress code is a company wide followed rule is a joke.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1437058917.365568.jpg

MendozaJ

I didn't even know tats were against policy they're so prominent: sleeves, legs, even neck tats.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

center manager should stop being a woozie and clamp down.