UPS Supports Right to Work (for less)

arice11

A Local Teamster newspaper mentions UPS in an article titled "Tell UPS to pink slip ALEC, members urged"
The fascinating facts in this report that 40,00 members are being "Urged by the International Union to tell UPS to stop supporting ALEC (The American Legislative Exchange Council)
My own home state has these bills in the legislature and more are listed.
According to the article ALEC has been exposed and the heat is on for corporations like Pepsi, Kraft, Mc Donald's and so on.
The shocking part of this bewildering but not surprising story is that Blue Cross and Blue Shield (the health providers for my contract) are abandoning ALEC, while thousands of teamsters are pushing UPS to leave behind a sinking ship that supports Right to Work (for less) *or more if the minimum wage issue ensues...but I digress.
What is going to happen when my health provider separates from my source of income?
Could we see a change in the actual operations within out buildings because of this unlikely alliance UPS apparently is holding onto an already shamed name?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Would somebody mention what happened with the 1982 contract when a lot of people didn't bother to vote??? Like all the others.......

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think I was making $14 and change as a PT preloader in 1982. Same rate as FT drivers.
I was probably making $14 an hour then. I still have some paycheck stubs from the seventies where they didn't put the complete date on them. They left the last number of the year off for some reason. Back then most of the part timers were high school and college students, they weren't planning on staying at UPS for a career.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was probably making $14 an hour then. I still have some paycheck stubs from the seventies where they didn't put the complete date on them. They left the last number of the year off for some reason. Back then most of the part timers were high school and college students, they weren't planning on staying at UPS for a career.

Yeah, UPS wanted college students that would work a couple of years then leave. The union also liked it for the extra initiation fees from the turnover.