UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

40andOut

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

25plus, the country has had a problem with its compass for a long time now and common sense is not so common. These are nothing new.

I honestly feel that if an investor is in it for the trade, or rather in it for a fast buck, then there is alot to be fearfull of. But if you do your research and invest in quality dividend stocks most will do fine. Take EFC for example. High yield with a medium to high risk. Pays out a 13% divi. If the market drops 10% I am still up 3% at the end of the year.

If you are in the market you are doing only one of 2 things(options excluded).1. you are betting that what you buy today you can sell to someone else at a later date for more than what you paid for it, in other words you are TRADING. or, 2. You are investing your money in companies that pay a dividend, UPS being an EXCELLENT example. With divi stocks your money works for you to generate an income without reguards to what others think the stock is "worth."

And if EFC drops 30% (like it did in 2011) what do you net with the 13% divi ??? High divi producing stocks are hardly a safe investment when the Fed makes major policy shifts, particularly stocks like EFC which are tied to the subprime mortgage market. And when times get tough dividends can be cut or skipped. If you are confident that the economy has turned the corner, then go for it...The Street downgraded EFC to a SELL LINK : http://www.thestreet.com/story/11952248/2/4-sell-rated-dividend-stocks-oibr-efc-ebrb-tac.html

Last edited by a moderator:

beentheredonethat

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

Looks like the 353 point "correction" silenced our resident investment gurus.

Not everyone posts every day on this site. Are you happy the market went down so people lost value in their retirement portfolio? Do you think people shouldn't actively invest in their 401K?
I'm real confused as to some of your posts. In some posts you tout not being in debt and savings (which I agree with). In other posts you mock people who spend time investing in their future. Would it be better if they spent an hour or more a day on an internet forum then spending that hour or day researching stocks? To me, it's fun to look into stocks. However, I've tempered it a lot by trying to go after various mutual funds (mostly). I also recently felt uneasy with the economy and took 25% of my 401K and put it into cash. I still dropped money, but the drop could have been a lot worse. Now I can buy some stocks for a quick rebound.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

An hour or two researching stocks? Be honest---you spend a lot more time than that.

moreluck

golden ticket member

M.Y.O.B.
Why do you care if he spends 1 hour or 8 hours ? .......it's his time to spend as he wishes.

beentheredonethat

An hour or two researching stocks? Be honest---you spend a lot more time than that.
Actually I spend a lot less. Usually each day I check finance.yahoo.com for my portfolio. I have it set up to show today's increase both in dollars and % (by stock), as well as the overall (since I purchased) increase (% and dollars). This takes all of 5 minutes (max). I average one transaction per week. (excluding DRIP transactions or Dividend deposits). Most of the transactions are when I put in a limit sell\purchase request. Usually on a weekend I'll check out some google stories and look at various stock\mutual fund screeners to look at some potential stocks. I have another portfolio on finance.yahoo.com for potential stocks. This activity usually takes about an hour or two to do. Then quarterly I go through entire portfolio and increase\decrease my holdings in companies. This does take closer to 6-8 hours each quarter that I do on a weekend.

Not sure about the others, but whether it's an hour or 5 hours a day. I've seen a lot of people do a lot more wasteful things with their time.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.

[video]http://bloom.bg/130oYnQ[/video]

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

M.Y.O.B.
Why do you care if he spends 1 hour or 8 hours ? .......it's his time to spend as he wishes.

Take your own advice---this doesn't concern you.

This may surprise you but you don't have to post on every single thread in every single forum. This is not moreluck cafe (thank god).

moreluck

golden ticket member

This may surprise you but you don't have to post on every single thread in every single forum. This is not moreluck cafe (thank god).
Doesn't concern me ?? I'm in the retired category....you're not !!
Unless you retire the Ultimate Grand Supreme title, you are years away from retirement.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Oh Nancy, you are hopeless..............did they give you a tiara as ultimate grand supreme when you retired ??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you ever stop and notice that I treat aj with respect and dignity? That is because she deserves to be treated with respect and dignity. You do not deserve the same level of respect and dignity as you simply don't know when to mind your own business.

beentheredonethat

brownboy----you said that you have over $20K in your trading account---is it safe to assume that you have no personal debt?

My conversation was with BTDT, not you. Take your own advice and MYODB.

Upstate, Don't you find it the least bit ironic, that this particular discussion topic was regarding folks who invest actively in stocks\mutual funds\ etc with their 401K funds (and other accounts).
A few of us like to do this. I can't speak for all the others, but it is something I enjoy to do and I do a decent job with. I feel this extra time I spent helps to secure my family's needs in the future.

No offense, but it wasn't Moreluck who jumped into this thread to derail it off topic. It was you. None of us who were active on this thread really complained about what you did. Moreluck was basically defending us.

I realize it's a public forum that Cheryl has given us access to. I actually agree with some of your posts and disagree with some. I also realize there's nothing I can do to stop you from posting on this thread. However, I'd appreciate it if you did stop and leave us this one thread to talk about stocks. Or, if you want to actively talk about stocks, bonds etc. That's fine too.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

Upstate, you are right, you should sell everything right away, like this morning! You are about to lose all your capital as the entire market is headed to 0!! If I were you, I'd sell right now and look to buy every one of your holdings back in exactly 3 weeks! I bet you'd make a ton of money doing this, to the point of catching some 10 baggers!

I'm sorry I can't do this to anyone, not even Upstate........I was kidding Upstate, please don't do what I just said!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trust me, I would never listen to advice given on an anonymous Internet forum. Besides, my 401k is "set it and forget it", so I am not scrambling like yourself and BTDT to recover my losses.

In deference to BTDT, this will be my last post on this thread. Good luck to you both----I hope you both reach and even surpass your financial goals.