UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

brownboyups

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

most i've been down on stocks in 1 quarter...30k...never panicked because i picked em and get paid to wait (dividend stocks only)
got back to even and sold em

RULE #1...NEVER PANIC
RULE #2...FOLLOW RULE #1

82 degrees in Wichita FRIDAY...r u freaking kidding me...37 degrees in Clinton (will have long johns and a ski hat on)

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

I like PSEC I just got in it at a bad price. I will buy more when/if it drops below 11, I think I have a limit order for 50 shares at 11.95 in now.

I watched NRO tank today but couldn't find any news to justify it, even the volume traded was below norm. Will watch Fast Money tonight to see if I can get any info. Honestly not that worried. I figure the divi might shrink a bit in May but still should be close to double digit yield.

DOW up for a record 9 days in a row but last 2 days was a few 100th's of a %. We should see a pull back this week. Its been a crazy run so far this year...the market really needs a breather.

I honestly don't think the Fed is gonna change interest rates in the next 6 months. They said 2014 at the earliest but you know they can and will change their mind.

I just like learning. In researching stocks it seems like 2005-2008 the buzz word was stock splits. 2008-2012 more emphysis was on divis. Now the last 9 months or so its been spin-offs and share buybacks. I missed the stock split europhia, got in on the divi emphysis but now am trying to figure out how spin-offs will play out over time.

brownboyups

buying a good stock (company) at a higher price (bad price)

COST AVERAGING...when u buy at different prices (high/med/low/ u get at better average
$11.95 + $11.25 divided by 2 = $11.60 (better than $11.95)

that's why it is important to keep reinvesting

brownboyups

This Stock Has A 12.81% Yield And Sells For Less Than Book - Forbes

now RNO really sells less than book...not worried
i watch the price every 5 minutes of all my stocks...every time RNO goes up someone under cuts it and sells it
my opinion...RNO is being played and then when dividend is announced they have to get out of the way
$13.05 for a stock that pays .45 cent dividend (a steal)

probably going to buy $8,300 of RNO in my scottrade account...my tax guy says its going to cost $50 more to do my taxes to handle this
limited partnership (gotta file taxes in 4 different states)

liked it at $13.82....really really like it at $13.05

wait until they announce the 45 cent dividend at this price...off to the races

down -3k and still looking to make a +8k profit in 6 weeks

brownboyups

17 degrees today with a wind chill of zero...brutal
a shipper had their 3 year old girl in the building...i gave her a $1 and said put that in your piggy bank (went over well)
i give money when i can to children on route

VTR...Ventas...health care trust...AAA+++

8 hours OT for week...going for 10

brownboyups

MO...altria group...cigarettes...people that smoke are hooked and spend a lot daily/weekly/yearly (great cash flow)
earnings are solid...dividends increasing

stock price has come down a little

+$16,000 in dividends a year right now
got to start buying the best companies with dividend cash using high yield money

others
BMY
WM

brownboyups

RNO...fridays news...closed thursday at $13.05...opened at $13.20...closed at $13.20
high $14.02 & low $13.11...(my head was spinning)...in top 10 all-time stock price swings
was up +$3,373.37....ended up +$556.05...wow

this company is being played (as i've said before)...has power when the dividend gets announced
***u want to sell before the dividend...just get taxed on the capital gains***not on the cash distributions...extra tax stuff

Benben

IMO it's the sector. I dug into the news and tried to figure out why the whip-saw moves and only saw a bankruptcy filing from another company involved in 1 deal with RNO. I honestly think its the sector. The Sector is out of favor atm because everyone's attention is on the DOW and BDCs, MLPs and Reits due to the low interest rates. In looking at the sector I ran across OXF and picked it up. My first non-divi buy and 100% pure speculation play. As someone said earlier we are at very low PE multiples compared to years past and I read that atricle in either Bloomberg or Money. I think as long as you have the stones to stomach the wild swings for awhile the income potential is there. The divi history and future divi payments are my hedge against losing money. The upside can be large. I am staying the course.

DX anounced divi so my real cheap buy, right after the election, is going to price drop here soon.
EFC surprised me and I got a double divi Friday. Up over $2/share and this is my 2nd and 3rd divi so far.

brownboyups

trust me...you want to sell RNO before the dividend and take capital gains tax (i am)...stock will rise then collapse
limited partnerships is a distribution not a dividend (u will be charged a little more by the guy that does your taxes
and have to wait for the paper work to arrive...it's not that big of a deal...because of how many shares i have any earnings
over 1k triggers more tax stuff...selling high (capitol gains) triggers no extra tax stuff

DX looks real good
EFC...$1.52 (nice)

thanks for the tips

waiting for an estimate on remodeling my bathroom...will have to use 8k of my scottrade account (not happy) plus other funds
will increase the value of my home and nicer bathroom for sure...a win win

401k YTD +$13,661.95....+11.32%
thats with 1 quarter in dividends paid (3 more coming)...trying for 12-31-13 over +20%
2012...+22.86%...i set the bar high...now i gotta beat myself

i'm like u...addicted to high yield...i'm starting to study best of the best with lower yield...zero % interest rates will not last forever
and all the high yield stuff will suffer
i'm going to position myself for lower yield but rock solid companies...still have a few years left to rake in cash on high yield
always have to think about the future while trading in present

Last edited:

Benben

The low interest rates will stay low for awhile yet. I think NRO will have a decrease in distrubitions the next quarter but as the economy picks up and the need for electricity grows it should be fine. I still think the stock price is secular and the yield is the prize. Never take your eyes off the prize. But then again when I look at my holdings and see numbers in red it bothers me (example-PSEC trading lower than what I bought it for) I just have to keep reminding myself that after 6 divis I am UP!

There is nothing wrong with lower yield corps. I like the fact that by law BDCs, MLPs and Reits are forced to payout a % of income to investors, thus forcing management to perform. With other stocks I feel like I am in competition with other investors and has very little to do with the company, who's stocks I might buy. A baseball card or a painting is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I have a full time job, I have no desire or the time to be a "trader."

Just a suggestion, take a look at the pink sheets. Everyone has a little gambler in them. Divi investing is not sexy, its not flashy like hitting a 10 bagger. In fact its almost down right boring. Making a speculation play adds a little excitement and the pink sheets with just a few hundred dollars makes the market exciting. With just a few hundred dollars the downside is negligable.

OXLC- Anounced divi's in-line with previous, 14% yielder.

Just a word of caution....Market is at all time highs, I see any purchases at this time being in the direct cross-hairs for a pull back/market correction. Selling at all time highs (ringing the cash register), now thats a another animal of a different color.

Benben

OK, its Sunday and its time to make my plans for the week. $699 in cash account. I got bored today and started playing with the Merrill Lynch stock screener with google finance open in another window. WOW, talk about lost time, I look up and I had been "playing according to my wife" for the last 4 hours. Here's what I found:

ARI: great track record of divi's, nice cash flow, nice FFO and the stock price bounced right back after every divi! Like within days. Most stocks get "punished" for a week or more every divi-ex date. A "buy" rating from BoA.

OZM: Great history of Divis. Well below BV (.71) "Buy" rating from BoA. Beta is insane at 2.00. I have never touched a stock with a beta even close to this. Maybe pickup some shares dirt cheap due to the price swings?

Benben

waiting for an estimate on remodeling my bathroom...will have to use 8k of my scottrade account (not happy) plus other funds
will increase the value of my home and nicer bathroom for sure...a win win

>HAHAHA. Your's is a bathroom, mine is replacing the sliding back door. I screwed myself and am just now realizing it. Last year was 17th. year married and wife got a $2K new floor in family room and new $3K wedding ring (purposed while in last year of grad school and married 1st year out= $0 cash for a wedding ring so she was well past due for a nice ring.) This year (18 years of marriage) She wants, and gets a new back door in the same room as new floor last year. I aggreed and then I find out she wants a Pella Door with the blinds inside. Translation... $8,000. Pretty sure I will have to sell both kidneys at 19 years of marriage and my first born for our 20th aniversary.

Shhh... don't tell anyone but I am currently running the numbers to find out at what point it becomes cheaper to have her killed than keep her......so many variables and the yield must be considered.........:wink2:

brownboyups

ECT...$11.64...-$4.23 (-26.82%) tuesday WOW!!!!
sold ECT to buy more of RNO...if i still owned it would of cost me (-$6,966.81) and would of crushed my % today
only thing i can find that sent the stock tumbling is this
Are ECA Marcellus Trust Holders About To Get WHXed? - Seeking Alpha

way oversold...would play with spec $$$...i'm out of cash until i sell RNO or end of May +$4k in dividends
i walked away with +$1,700 profit...could of been a disaster

Benben

Wow, huge market move and some great timming by you. I read the SA article, insider selling caught my eye (could be many reasons why insiders sell but the article spelled out the why) but the "disconnect" between estimates and price was interesting.
increase of 25% in common shares leads to an estimated 30% decline in distributions.

Just watched an interview with T. Boone Pickens on FBN and he was touting natural gas for the transportation industry. I thought it was interesting.

Almost had my limit order for NCT triggered today (low of 11.02 with the order set at $11.00). Tomorrow it trades ex-divi so I cancelled the order. Hoping for the normal drop in price above and beyond the divi amount as the market always over-reacts. Still eye-balling the spin-off.

Benben

So glad I cancelled the order. I saw the price drop today and figured it was the divi. Checked Merril Edge and NCT trades Ex-divi on the 21st not today which is what Google finace had it as, Ex-divi on 3/21, payable to shareholders of record on 3/25. I used the last of my reserve cash to buy 50 shares at $10.70. I'll get the divi payable on April 30 so basicly I got the shares at 10.48. Book value at $11.35 so I am comfortable with this one.

brownboyups

ECT....down another 10.75% wednesday...$10.30...price will be higher by next dividend ex date

bought 600 shares of RNO @$13.59 wednesday (scottrade account)...think i can make 2k in the next 4 weeks to help with the price of the
bathroom remodel...if i liked it at $13.82 then i lov it at $13.59
now own 4,307 shares

April/May are going to be interesting...going to have a lot of money to reinvest

fed
chief bernanke said today full steam ahead...$85 billion per month bond buying programs goes on
my opinion...no major selloffs

NCT down -3.41%...i always look at that as on sale
ex date 3-21-12...these are the people who don't want the dividend (capitol gains) sold today
that's what i'm planning to do with RNO if all goes right

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So glad I cancelled the order. I saw the price drop today and figured it was the divi. Checked Merril Edge and NCT trades Ex-divi on the 21st not today which is what Google finace had it as, Ex-divi on 3/21, payable to shareholders of record on 3/25. I used the last of my reserve cash to buy 50 shares at $10.70. I'll get the divi payable on April 30 so basicly I got the shares at 10.48. Book value at $11.35 so I am comfortable with this one.

So you spent $535 (50*$10.70) just so that you could make an additional $11 ($10.70-$10.48=$.22 50*$.22)? Was it really worth it?