UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

I saw the PSEC drop when I punched a 5 min break today and checked the Seeking Alpha app. That app is the fastest I have found at spot checking specific stocks. I couldn't pass it up. I transfered some funds from a BoA savings account to Merril Edge and doubled my stake. I missed the monthly Divi but I dropped my cost average 50 cents. The price fell today due to the 11 cent divi and then the market's automatic punishment for anything dividend related.

I have often wondered about that. Are some rich cats sitting out there getting pissed that stocks pay dividends so they "punish" those stocks that pay divis? Dividends are what allows me to actually participate in the market beyond a coin flip's chance at making any money. Watch any stock and the day it goes ex-divi the price will fall much more through-out the day and in some stock's cases much, much longer than a day. Kind of what we are seeing with RNO. I wonder just how much the high frequency, milli-second computer trading distorts the market?

OK back to reality. Wonder how long untill the wife "discovers" my transferring of funds....opps sorry off topic there...I am soo gonna have to suck up to the wife for the for-seeable future.

I am starting to see signs in the media of a possible/probable Fed raise in interest rates. I gotta tell you all, the vast majority of my broker account is dependant on low interest rates. I am 100% Mreits, MLPs and BDC's. Many in this thread have made the comments to the affect of, "set it and forget it." But the way I have possitioned myself OUTSIDE the 401K's, "set it and forget it" is beyond the most idiotic thing I could possibly do. I know some have read this thread and decided that I, and others, are stupid for spending so much of our free time watching the market. But the way I see it, the time we spend doing this (nights after I have put the kids to bed and after the wife has fallen asleep and I get up and go to the computer) is about de-stressing from an 11 hour driving/delivering day. I guess in another 20 years we'll see if the "investment" pays off. You watch, I'll die 1 month after retirement, the wife will have a million dollars plus residual income and St. Christopher will be laughing so hard the line at the gates will be un-measurable.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

'"Set it and forget it" is beyond the most idiot thing I could possibly do'----I am up 5.65% YTD on my 401k--balance up $8K (including $3.7K in contributions) YTD---and did not lift a finger or click a mouse.

Some would argue that the most idiotic thing to do is to take time away from family to scour financials looking for the next apple or Google.

brownboyups

PSEC...cost averaging got you a better average price
a blanket down grade is a gift for buying more when a good stock go down
also when stocks issue more shares the price will go down but will usually go back quickly (good time to buy while down)

in my Scottrade account i'm averaging $250 per month when i divide the monthly and quarterly dividends
what i do is match or pay myself (i mail $250 to scottrade each month) so it's $500 going into my cash account
better than moving large sums of out of one account into another (better my way than a spouse getting upset)
good deals always around so never think you missed the boat and have to add more quickly
live within your means and never get crazy

your right stocks are a rigged game...i have seen so many times stocks go down hard only to find out 2 days later
bad news came out...the people buying and selling knew what i didn't 2 days ago...only thru dividends (protection) is it
a fairer game

important to think about...when you buy a stock like JNJ that raises the dividend the stock will increase in value...
high yield stocks are great for dividends for a while but will get into more trouble than a JNJ...must start thinking about
less paying stocks that are going to be around for a lifetime and increase in value

​14 recessions since 1929 and another one will come and blow up the high yielders (probably at the end of the Obama term)

all thoughts are just my opinion (not an expert but know enough)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

brownboy/benben----I would like for either or both of you to do me a favor. Starting Monday write down the cumulative balance in all of your accounts. I would like you to then log the time that you spend working on your portfolios for the week. Friday evening I would like you to write down the cumulative balance. I would then like you to compute the gain/loss for the week and divide that figure by the number of hours which would give you your hourly wage. I would be curious as to what that figure would be and if you still find it worthwhile to spend so much time working on your financials and if that time would be better spent elsewhere (family?).

brownboyups

brownboy/benben----I would like for either or both of you to do me a favor. Starting Monday write down the cumulative balance in all of your accounts. I would like you to then log the time that you spend working on your portfolios for the week. Friday evening I would like you to write down the cumulative balance. I would then like you to compute the gain/loss for the week and divide that figure by the number of hours which would give you your hourly wage. I would be curious as to what that figure would be and if you still find it worthwhile to spend so much time working on your financials and if that time would be better spent elsewhere (family?).

to criticize us for investing makes u look foolish...instead of reading probably every post in every thread should u
spend your time better (like with family...your words)...i have never come after u in a thread but u seem to want to think your
superior...u are not better than any human being on the planet...(u just think u are)...i would not want to live like u...sad
i think a avatar of a cat is weird but i don't go after u for that
as for as investing goes...u don't get it

brownboyups

26,912 posts...i'm thinking no family...that is sad 26,912...wow
want everyone to really think about how much time it takes to read and post 26,912 posts
because cats can live around 15 years u might want to turn off the computer and hang more with the cat
trust me you'll come back and thank me

around 4,485 posts per year...what a waste of time...wow...dude wow
12.5 posts EVERY DAY OF A YEAR...HOLY CRAP...every day
everyone really think about that...i hope everyone has more of a life than
being a posting machine...wow

Last edited:

brownboyups

Rowdy...your sleeping next to the wrong kind of pusillanimous...trust me...when u wake up next to a female it's a lot better
than a cat...i know u think i'm crazy but my experience tells me i'm right

Rowdy...your sleeping next to the wrong kind of pusillanimous...trust me...when u wake up next to a female it's a lot better
A Cat wont take half of your 401k.................. if it leaves you!

brownboyups

Rowdy...if u want more and want me to post your 26k posts average behind every post u make and never leave u alone
leave more stupid posts on my thread...go away and i'll never bother u ever...u make the
choice
​i'm cool either way

Benben

Halftime in the game.

Upstate, I normaly check stocks and post AFTER I put the family to bed. The wife works in the medical field and goes in at 5 am. This works well for our family as she is able to get the kids from school each day and I take them to school every morning. The trade off for her working early is she needs to go to bed early. I have 2 boys, ages 15 and 11. The long and the short of it is my house is done and quiet at 10 pm every school night. The "cost" for doing this is a whole lot less than you think. Whats more important is the timing of when I do this. WHEN THEY ARE ASLEEP for the most part.

Benben

SA had an article on DX today. I bought DX back last year, day after the election for $9. I liked it then and still like it. Low leverage, so it has room to add and run even more. Not the best yield in the sector but when you look at the divi history you'll see a "champion" among many who have had to cut divi's (cough*cough*NLY/ARR/TWO ect.*cough.)

Right now I have my sights set on DHF. A fund with a very nice yield, low price so one can pick-up alot of shares chaeply. My account sits right at $120 cash. every week I auto-transfer $50. Next month I'll get 3 divis paid (ex this week and last) plus I have that 1 spec buy thats gone up a bit but is otherwise stagnate so if I need to liquidate for a buying oppertunity I can bail on it without a lose even after the $13.90 in trading fees.

On a side note....looking at the brackets..... If KU gets by Michigan and WSU beats Ohio folks we are staring at an all Kansas Championship Game :fantasysmiley:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

to criticize us for investing makes u look foolish...instead of reading probably every post in every thread should u
spend your time better (like with family...your words)...i have never come after u in a thread but u seem to want to think your
superior...u are not better than any human being on the planet...(u just think u are)...i would not want to live like u...sad
i think a avatar of a cat is weird but i don't go after u for that
as for as investing goes...u don't get it

26,912 posts...i'm thinking no family...that is sad 26,912...wow
want everyone to really think about how much time it takes to read and post 26,912 posts
because cats can live around 15 years u might want to turn off the computer and hang more with the cat
trust me you'll come back and thank me

around 4,485 posts per year...what a waste of time...wow...dude wow
12.5 posts EVERY DAY OF A YEAR...HOLY CRAP...every day
everyone really think about that...i hope everyone has more of a life than
being a posting machine...wow

Rowdy...if u want more and want me to post your 26k posts average behind every post u make and never leave u alone
leave more stupid posts on my thread...go away and i'll never bother u ever...u make the
choice
​i'm cool either way

Guess I hit a nerve.:wink2:

I gave you a simple challenge. Write down your cumulative balance as of 4/1. Log your hours spent working on your portfolio for the period 4/1-4/5. Write down your cumulative balance as of 4/6. Subtract 4/1 from 4/6 and divide that number by the number of hours. How much did you earn per hour?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Guess I hit a nerve.:wink2:

I gave you a simple challenge. Write down your cumulative balance as of 4/1. Log your hours spent working on your portfolio for the period 4/1-4/5. Write down your cumulative balance as of 4/6. Subtract 4/1 from 4/6 and divide that number by the number of hours. How much did you earn per hour?

If you hit a nerve, he hit your jugular.
So quit trying to play it off and lay there and bleed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you hit a nerve, he hit your jugular. So quit trying to play it off and lay there and bleed.

You should probably stay out of this thread---it involves math beyond that which you can perform using your fingers and toes.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

You should probably stay out of this thread---it involves math beyond that which you can perform using your fingers and toes.

I'm sure you, your cat and your money will be very happy in your retirement.
As for math and the rest, I am way smarter than you think you are.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

brownboy, since you haven't responded, I will assume that you have come to realize that the return is not worth the time that you spend earning it.

beentheredonethat

brownboy, since you haven't responded, I will assume that you have come to realize that the return is not worth the time that you spend earning it.
Upstate, I have to disagree with you on your line of reasoning. It sounds like besides trying to better himself and establish a good future retirement for him and his family. He is doing something he likes to do. Why is that any different then spending hours each day on a web site? Why is it different then watching the TV each night. I used to do a lot of stock investing with stocks. Now I just do a little bit and invest in mutual funds. I'd always get pissed at myself if a stock I owned went down and I lost money. That's why I figured it's easier to invest more in mutual funds. Either way, he's doing something he enjoys and apparently makes money on this hobby.