UPS truck driver parks across 3 handicap parking spaces

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm jealous. Looks like you have a newer pkg car. I drive a 1987 P1000, no power steering, no low step etc......... That's all I'm asking for power steering in the big city.
If your center gets caught with a bunch of broken- framed trucks, you will get a whole new garage full. My center did. :winks:

Dingo

We have several drivers here at the Atlanta hub that park their personal cars in handicapped spots. They all have handicapp stickers. I watch them get out walk to the gate like its no big deal. After running 170 stops its nice not to have to walk far to get to your car.

bigbrownhen

I must admit that due to this thread, I am a little more aware of when I block a handicap spot. Good! We don't need to be jerks about it. I have several doctor offices and pharmacies on my route, not to mention the regular businesses. I am not saying that I never block one, just make sure it's the only option and make the delivery as quick as possible. If there is only one handicap spot, I don't block it. There have been a few times I have blocked one in the past and when I come back to the truck, there is someone waiting for the spot. I have only been there a minute or so, and I apologize to them and move on. I have never had anyone get upset, most people are understanding.

A little kindness and conciteration goes a long way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In what world do any of you think that we have the right to park in one, let alone three, handicapped parking spaces??

The driver deserved to lose his job.

I 100% agree with you that blocking all 3 handicap spots in order to go inside and buy something was the wrong decision.

I 100% disagree with you that the consequence of this choice ought to be termination. Please explain why the offense of blocking a handicap spot should be specifically excluded from the progressive discipline process. Please explain why the offense of blocking a handicap spot belongs in the same category as coming to work drunk, theft of company property, comission of a felony or unprovoked assault upon a coworker while on duty.

island1fox

I was in Management for a very long time at various levels. At any level I do not support the discharge of this driver for this incident.
The only exception to this is if he has done this before and clearly understood that any future occurence would result in his termination.
In plain and simple english if he has a very long record of failing to follow simple directions and has ignored warnings and suspensions. Progressive discipline. I do not believe newspapers should elect our Presidents for us nor drive a companies discipline policy. Just report the news -do not make it !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I respect both island and sober and agree with them that termination for this offense alone is excessive; however, I would think that a 3 day unpaid vacation (one day for each space) is appropriate.

I think a lot of people here need to google the word "empathy".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I respect both island and sober and agree with them that termination for this offense alone is excessive; however, I would think that a 3 day unpaid vacation (one day for each space) is appropriate.

I think a lot of people here need to google the word "empathy".

Well according to the labor agreement, he could only get a 3 day "unpaid vacation" if he had first been issued a warning letter for this offense.

Methinks you are allowing your personal feelings on this issue (justified though they may be) to intefere with the pragmatic and realistic application of the contract language.

Like all other "concessions" if you allow them to take it away (progressive discipline) in this case then before long other acts will be worthy of the immediate suspension.

If this guys actions piss you off so much take him aside as a senior driver and give him a piece of your mind but let the contractually agreed upon progressive discipline take it`s course.

BCFan

dadgum if that were an option ,next week when I go back to work after my vacation i will block these spaces to get another paid vacation at managements expense also Checkers is a purely drive thru operation in georgia(really no need for the handicapped spaces )BC

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I 100% agree with you that blocking all 3 handicap spots in order to go inside and buy something was the wrong decision.

I 100% disagree with you that the consequence of this choice ought to be termination. Please explain why the offense of blocking a handicap spot should be specifically excluded from the progressive discipline process. Please explain why the offense of blocking a handicap spot belongs in the same category as coming to work drunk, theft of company property, comission of a felony or unprovoked assault upon a coworker while on duty.

It's just that simple, and he does get it.
The contract doesn't provide for this level of discipline.
It's not about semantics, to which I still disagree.
Being disabled entitles you the parking spot, but doesn't ensure your immediate access.
I would argue a driver STOPPED to make a delivery, is different than the idiot who PARKED his package car to shop.
This scenario definitely should earn the driver a warning letter.
Disabled people should be apathetic with the plight of the driver and be more than willing to wait the short period of time necessary to secure their prearranged parking spot.
After all, most of don't have a spot waiting for us when we arrive at a given destination.
They absolutely deserve one, but they should understand the circumstances when they see a UPS truck across said spot, and be willing to wait the short period of time it takes to gain access to the parking spot.
Accommodation is being replaced by priviledge and I don't agree.

One way to consider is that by parking in those spots he avoided a potential "backed into" crash that could have occurred if he had parked behind cars in the other spots. I think the thing that did this driver in was his attitude when confronted about it.