UPS truck driver parks across 3 handicap parking spaces

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Cant the driver sue the lady that took the picture of him and putting it on the newspaper? Im sure he didnt consent to it.

A person has no "right to privacy" in a public place. Virtually everyone has a smart phone nowadays. We all need to accept the reality that we are never more than 2 or 3 minutes away from being seen all over the world on YouTube, and we need to behave accordingly.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A person has no "right to privacy" in a public place. Virtually everyone has a smart phone nowadays. We all need to accept the reality that we are never more than 2 or 3 minutes away from being seen all over the world on YouTube, and we need to behave accordingly.

...or a wild animal in the pacific northwest, otherwise I may end up on the Brown Cafe.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This whole issue has been over-cooked to the point of making "common sense" an oxymoron.
We all know when and where we have all done this very thing.
It all comes down to "common courtesy".
Are handicapped people exempt from this premise?
Somebody answer me why they can't wait while I make a quick delivery?
Wouldn't that be a common courtesy?

P.S. I agree, provided the story is correct, the driver in question made some mistakes.
My question, those mistakes aside, is there a difference between stopping and parking in this scenario?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
P.S. I agree, provided the story is correct, the driver in question made some mistakes.
My question, those mistakes aside, is there a difference between stopping and parking in this scenario?

I like to use the garbage truck analogy when discussing parking issues.

Garbage trucks make their rounds and in the course of picking up the cans they probably violate parking rules hundreds of times per day. I have seen plenty of dumpsters, recycle bins and garbage roll cans that are situated adjacent to handicap zones, fire hydrants etc. and the only way for the garbage truck to get to them is to "illegally" park.

To an extent, UPS and FedEx ought to be in that same category. The nature of our jobs requires large vehicles that must park as close as possible to the delivery location. Sometimes this means briefly violating the law.

BrownArmy

Meter maids around Greater Boston aren't shy about ticketing UPS PC's in handicapped spots, bus spots, etc.

Apparently, UPS also isn't shy about paying the tickets. We turn them in along with our COD's, high-value paperwork, etc.

More or less, not a word is said.

My best guess, UPS has some sort of 'volume discount' for all the tickets we generate.

Having said that, generally, around here, if you're not a blatant *****, and you're quick about it, you won't get a ticket or much static.

After all, who would stand in the way of packages being delivered? Who would stand in the way of commerce?

To stand in the way of commerce is un-American...

LOL.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Garbage trucks make their rounds and in the course of picking up the cans they probably violate parking rules hundreds of times per day. I have seen plenty of dumpsters, recycle bins and garbage roll cans that are situated adjacent to handicap zones, fire hydrants etc. and the only way for the garbage truck to get to them is to "illegally" park.

To an extent, UPS and FedEx ought to be in that same category. The nature of our jobs requires large vehicles that must park as close as possible to the delivery location. Sometimes this means briefly violating the law.

Meter maids around Greater Boston aren't shy about ticketing UPS PC's in handicapped spots, bus spots, etc.

Apparently, UPS also isn't shy about paying the tickets. We turn them in along with our COD's, high-value paperwork, etc.

More or less, not a word is said.

My best guess, UPS has some sort of 'volume discount' for all the tickets we generate.

Having said that, generally, around here, if you're not a blatant *****, and you're quick about it, you won't get a ticket or much static.

After all, who would stand in the way of packages being delivered? Who would stand in the way of commerce?

To stand in the way of commerce is un-American...

LOL.

Common sense, or is it uncommon?

HomeDelivery

nope, this case they are stopping...

not parked to run inside to get a drink and gloat about it to a handicap person waiting to park in the spot

moreluck

golden ticket member
nope, this case they are stopping...

not parked to run inside to get a drink and gloat about it to a handicap person waiting to park in the spot

Plus, if UPS doesn't deliver, the surrounding area doesn't start to stink...like if the garbage truck doesn't stop.!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I respect both island and sober and agree with them that termination for this offense alone is excessive; however, I would think that a 3 day unpaid vacation (one day for each space) is appropriate.

I think a lot of people here need to google the word "empathy".

Used up all 7 weeks vacation already this year.
Think I will block 5 spaces tomorrow and take another week off!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Handicapped Parking.......................

You are parked in a space clearly designated for disabled persons. Please circle the statement which best describes your handicap:

I don't read good.

I suffer from terminal laziness.

I have Attention Deficit Disorder. Huh?

My inner child was bugging me for ice cream.

My shoes are too expensive to walk in.

Wheelchair symbol? I thought it was a rocking chair!

My religion forbids acts of common courtesy.

I ignore OTHER laws, why not this one?

I AM disabled... by a painfully swollen ego.

MobileBA

I forget how much are we paid again? That does including walking, right? Don't be a lazy butt, park legally and walk if necessary. A free parking pass are not a UPS entitlement.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Some people go out of their way to video UPS drivers doing this. My question is if he's stalking drivers, how does he find time to advocate to save the whales? Just look at this guys other videos and you'll see.
[video=youtube;cI3wW9fNOWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3wW9fNOWg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
This is much ado about nothing folks. We are trained to park in the safest, closest location to the delivery point. 99.99% of the time that will be across the handicapped parking spots. Reason being, no one is in them so you are not at risk of being hit while parked!! Yes there is a chance some handicapped person will show up while your inside making the delivery, but most likely you will be in and out before they can park anyway!! Just be a little patient folks. It's not like we are there for a 30 minute lunch, generally we are gone within a 90 second time frame!!

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Some people go out of their way to video UPS drivers doing this. My question is if he's stalking drivers, how does he find time to advocate to save the whales? Just look at this guys other videos and you'll see.
[video=youtube;cI3wW9fNOWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3wW9fNOWg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Give me a break! I drive a P12 just like this driver and I want to see the jerkwad with the camera park one of those in a "stall."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is much ado about nothing folks. We are trained to park in the safest, closest location to the delivery point. 99.99% of the time that will be across the handicapped parking spots. Reason being, no one is in them so you are not at risk of being hit while parked!! Yes there is a chance some handicapped person will show up while your inside making the delivery, but most likely you will be in and out before they can park anyway!! Just be a little patient folks. It's not like we are there for a 30 minute lunch, generally we are gone within a 90 second time frame!!

If your training includes blocking handicapped spaces your training needs to be revised. There is no excuse for blocking handicapped spaces--period.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If your training includes blocking handicapped spaces your training needs to be revised. There is no excuse for blocking handicapped spaces--period.

I assure you, if you had a sup with you and you came in a parking lot completely filled with cars with the exception of the handicapped spots, he would tell you the safest place to park would be where you cannot get backed in to. Which is blocking the handicapped spots. I stand by my statement, 99.99% of the time I will be in and out before they had time to be angry!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assure you, if you had a sup with you and you came in a parking lot completely filled with cars with the exception of the handicapped spots, he would tell you the safest place to park would be where you cannot get backed in to. Which is blocking the handicapped spots. I stand by my statement, 99.99% of the time I will be in and out before they had time to be angry!!

I can assure you that my on-car, PDS or center manager would never condone parking in a handicapped space.

I should add that I have no problem double-parking or parking in a fire lane. I do have a problem blocking handicapped spaces. No, I don't have a family member who needs to use these spaces--I just don't feel right knowing that I have full use of my legs while someone who may not may have to wait while I take their space.

Last edited: