UPS truck driver parks across 3 handicap parking spaces

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One way to consider is that by parking in those spots he avoided a potential "backed into" crash that could have occurred if he had parked behind cars in the other spots. I think the thing that did this driver in was his attitude when confronted about it.

That's not a problem for UpState, he scans the steering wheels of the parked cars he double parks behind, even while he's inside making his delivery.

705red

Browncafe Steward
u missed the point that he went into the store for a drink, not to deliver a parcel

he could have parked somewhere else; i know this area since i'm a cover driver for that town as well...

How do you know that he didnt make a delivery and when he did he was handed a drink on the way out. happens all the time!!! Its not a fireable offense, at worst he will be given a warning for this. It also said it was 1pm meaning it was still around lunch time and that might have been the safest place to park at the time. So many back room lawyers without the ability to read a contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you know that he didnt make a delivery and when he did he was handed a drink on the way out. happens all the time!!! Its not a fireable offense, at worst he will be given a warning for this. It also said it was 1pm meaning it was still around lunch time and that might have been the safest place to park at the time. So many back room lawyers without the ability to read a contract.

Please direct me to the article and section in the NMA where it says that we are allowed to arbitrarily disobey traffic laws in order to get our jobs done. Thank you.

QKRSTKR

Have I blocked a handicap space before? Yes. Do I try to? No. Is it a fireable offense? No. Did this guy handle it right? Hell no! If that had been me I would have been apoligizing like crazy. I would have felt very bad. The problem here is everyone now has a camera with them. Did this lady take this to far? Idk. But how long till you do something somebody doesn't like, takes a pic and you get fired for it?

How pissed do people get when you block them in? I know people I block in get mad as hell. If I'm coming back to my truck and see them in there car I try to show as much urgency as possible to get out of their way. We've had hit while parked where the citizen had absoulutly no room to get out but try anyways.

QKRSTKR

I should add that I have no problem blocking someone in who is parked in a loading zone.
That happens to me a lot. Cars nose in to a dock cause there is no parking anywhere else close. I back up close as possible and then go get lost for a little while. Ugh! Freaking idiots.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That happens to me a lot. Cars nose in to a dock cause there is no parking anywhere else close. I back up close as possible and then go get lost for a little while. Ugh! Freaking idiots.

Lake Placid, NY, is delivered out of our center. It is a tourist town best known for hosting the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. There are 3 loading zones on Main St, which is by far the busiest street in town, and it is not uncommon to see a car parked in every one of them. If there is someone in the car we ask them to move but if not we simply block them in, deliver that part of Main St, and then move down to the next one only to do it all over again. When the owner of the car comes out and "asks" us to move we simply point at the "Loading Zone" sign and continue delivering.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Please direct me to the article and section in the NMA where it says that we are allowed to arbitrarily disobey traffic laws in order to get our jobs done. Thank you.

Let me explain something to you Mr. Resident know it all. When you are talking about firing someone the burdeen of proof is on the company, so since you know it all please point to me where it says that parking in a handicap spot is a terminating offense. Look for it, this should keep you busy for the next year or so, because it doesnt say that. Im glad that you work in a perfect world and nothing ever goes wrong in your little world, but the rest of us live in the real world and double parking in handicap spots happens to be one of them if needed.

Everything you are basing your opinion off of is an article from someone who seems to be upset at the UPS driver. Ever think that this person just might have an axe to grind with UPS? Maybe this driver? How many people have taken their time to call and say in the past that the driver never rang the bell or knocked yet they left a delivery notice. Your basing your OPINION off of this article, really?!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Lake Placid, NY, is delivered out of our center. It is a tourist town best known for hosting the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. There are 3 loading zones on Main St, which is by far the busiest street in town, and it is not uncommon to see a car parked in every one of them. If there is someone in the car we ask them to move but if not we simply block them in, deliver that part of Main St, and then move down to the next one only to do it all over again. When the owner of the car comes out and "asks" us to move we simply point at the "Loading Zone" sign and continue delivering.

Who knows, maybe you will be in the next article of a newspaper on a slow day. I can see it now. "A vacationing family when they came out from the greesy spoon restaurant they had just enjoyed they breakfast at while visiting New York only to see that they were blocked in by a UPS truck. When they talked to the UPS driver he gave them the finger and continued on his way. The family had to wait for over 30 minutes to continue with their vacation plans and missed the ferry they had planned on making causing them to lose out on the tickets they had bought for the all day tour they planned to attend. The father said the UPS driver was rude, impolite, and I cant believe he pointed his finger at us, I have 3 young kids and I was in shock, I hope UPS addresses this with the driver."

Now lets hear your side dave, because I have already formed my OPINION on this article and I think you should be fired from their side.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have already said that I overreacted when I said the driver should be termiinated; however, I don't think a slap on the wrist is appropriate either. I also disagree with "the customer is always right" because they are not always right. In this case our driver was wrong--not so much for where he parked, which was a poor choice, but for his attitude, which was far worse.

Point taken on your above scenario.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Bubble of goodness. It's where no one has to file a grievance because managers and hourlies canoodle while singing kumbaya.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Again, with the mirror issue. I am sure there is a Walmart in Plattsburg. You should buy one to look into. You cause more drama than I could ever dream up. Just look at poor Moreluck. You caused her to run to her mailbox everyday.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Let me explain something to you Mr. Resident know it all. When you are talking about firing someone the burdeen of proof is on the company, so since you know it all please point to me where it says that parking in a handicap spot is a terminating offense. Look for it, this should keep you busy for the next year or so, because it doesnt say that. Im glad that you work in a perfect world and nothing ever goes wrong in your little world, but the rest of us live in the real world and double parking in handicap spots happens to be one of them if needed.

Everything you are basing your opinion off of is an article from someone who seems to be upset at the UPS driver. Ever think that this person just might have an axe to grind with UPS? Maybe this driver? How many people have taken their time to call and say in the past that the driver never rang the bell or knocked yet they left a delivery notice. Your basing your OPINION off of this article, really?!

Who knows, maybe you will be in the next article of a newspaper on a slow day. I can see it now. "A vacationing family when they came out from the greesy spoon restaurant they had just enjoyed they breakfast at while visiting New York only to see that they were blocked in by a UPS truck. When they talked to the UPS driver he gave them the finger and continued on his way. The family had to wait for over 30 minutes to continue with their vacation plans and missed the ferry they had planned on making causing them to lose out on the tickets they had bought for the all day tour they planned to attend. The father said the UPS driver was rude, impolite, and I cant believe he pointed his finger at us, I have 3 young kids and I was in shock, I hope UPS addresses this with the driver."

Now lets hear your side dave, because I have already formed my OPINION on this article and I think you should be fired from their side.

Game, set, match.

If it will make you package car guys happy I`ll roll a set of doubles through the handicap spots and all the ones around them as well. Anything to take the heat off my brothers.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
also Checkers is a purely drive thru operation in georgia(really no need for the handicapped spaces )BC

Bingo! This lady could have just sat in her air conditioned car and drove up to the drive thru window to get their food. They don't have inside seating around here. I don't agree with blocking handi-capped spaces. I have relatives that could use them, although they usually don't. Firing a driver is excessive, a warning letter for the first offense makes better sense.

Mick32

First thing first, the driver is going to get his job back. I know that. you know that. I'm not 100% sure, but he's probably back already.
How do you know that he didnt make a delivery and when he did he was handed a drink on the way out. happens all the time!!!.
I agree that this happens all the time. It did not happen here. The driver went in to get a drink or use the bathroom or both. He did not have a delivery at this location.