UPS Truck Hijacked, Driver killed in Shootout

freehoodies

I’m just saying, you claimed it was unthinkably uncommon that a ups driver would shoot somebody. Clearly it is not. Most people with concealed carry are responsible but you just never know what’s going to happen when you bring a gun into a situation. The company won’t allow weapons because they would probably rather have a driver get shot than risk the liability of having us be armed.
One event does mean its unthinkably uncommon. Its a big country with a hundred year old multinational company I doubt there are many situations that you cant find at least one headline for. But since we have a right to be armed our company shouldn't be liable for refusing to infringe on it. Unless they encouraged us to break the law of course.

But one person breaking the law doesn’t invalidate our right to self defense. And cops are allegedly shooting people with their guns all of the time but they get to bring guns with them into banks and schools.

I mean some workers can't even bring their cell phones with them into the larger hubs, thats insane to me. Unions have worked together to secure all sorts of workers rights that are now "standard", like 40 hour work weeks, child labor laws, I want to say OSHA was started by unions too. Lets add right to not be defenseless at work to that list.

freehoodies

Keeping a 12 guage under the counter is a little easier than carrying a gun on your person, and then going onto 100+ public and private properties each day. Many of those properties have their own weapons restrictions which makes it even more complicated.
Weapons restrictions are useless. Not a single crime has ever been stopped by a sign.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is the inside door lock on a package car. The silver tab directly under the handle. They do get dirty and stuck sometimes. I have a carry permit but there is no way the company will let drivers carry on route. UPS would be sued right away the first time somebody got shot. We had a driver fired for forgetting he had a handgun in his backpack when he walked through the metal detector one morning.
49F36CE5-28DE-4A42-9296-BF054D970444.jpeg

freehoodies

So you, as an employee of UPS, should be able to carry a weapon onto property that has a weapons restriction just because you don't think signs work?
I think they shouldn’t have a weapons restriction in the first place. Personally I’d be in favor of removing all weapons restrictions. If we cant trust someone with a gun they shouldn’t be in public at all. But thats not entirely the point Im making.

Businesses with weapons restrictions let the Guarda/Loomis guy in with a gun. Its accepted because they understand they are at a higher risk for being robbed than most people. So are UPS/fedex drivers.

What is the market value of all the packages in your truck on any given day? Some days we have HV packages worth over 10k. There are some routes with jewelry/precious metal stops. Do you really want your only option in a robbery/hijacking to be begging for your life?

freehoodies

This is the inside door lock on a package car. The silver tab directly under the handle. They do get dirty and stuck sometimes. I have a carry permit but there is no way the company will let drivers carry on route. UPS would be sued right away the first time somebody got shot. We had a driver fired for forgetting he had a handgun in his backpack when he walked through the metal detector one morning.View attachment 310400
Can someone really sue UPS if a driver shoots someone? “Respondeat Superior” is the legal term and it doesn’t seem like thats the case here. UPS wouldn’t be requiring its employees to be armed, just not infringing on their implicit right of self defense.

(Is UPS being sued for the feeder driver shooting people? Would UPS be sued if they didn’t have the no weapon policy?)

If a UPS driver hits someone with their package car, UPS wont be liable unless they could have reasonably foreseen it. If the driver had a history of accidents or drunk driving and was allowed to keep driving for example. Or the truck they were driving had reported issues with handling. Or if management told the driver to speed to get hours down or something (this is why there is a PCM every morning btw).

Heres another example, are UPS drivers explicitly allowed to have a lighter with them? Is UPS responsible for an intentional fire (arson) set by the driver? What about accidental? (Flicked cigarette butt, or maybe they started a small fire on lunch to heat up some food)

Both cases would be no, you dont need a lighter for UPS work, so its not within the scope of employment. Same with a gun. We don’t require it to do the job, but some employees would prefer to have one with them.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
This is the inside door lock on a package car. The silver tab directly under the handle. They do get dirty and stuck sometimes. I have a carry permit but there is no way the company will let drivers carry on route. UPS would be sued right away the first time somebody got shot. We had a driver fired for forgetting he had a handgun in his backpack when he walked through the metal detector one morning.View attachment 310400
Thanks. @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U was supposed to send me a pic but he's been about as useless as a cordless jump rope.