UPS truck hijacked on Cleveland's East Side

H

handtruck

UPS truck hijacked on Cleveland's East Side
November 27, 2007 18:23PM

Four men hijacked a UPS delivery truck at gunpoint on Cleveland's east side today, taking off with the truck and damaging packages before police found the truck a few hours later.

Police have one adult and two juveniles in custody but are still sorting out what, if anything, was stolen or destroyed and how involved the suspects were. Names are not yet available.

Lt. Thomas Stacho said a driver for the delivery service had just completed a delivery on E. 101st Street neat St. Clair Avenue about 10 a.m. when he was approached by four males, two carrying handguns and three wearing masks.

The robbers took personal items from the driver as well as keys to the truck before driving away in it, Stacho said.

Police received a call about 1 p.m. that the truck was in the parking lot of an abandoned apartment complex at E. 101st Street and Folk Avenue.

"The contents were strewn about, packages ripped open," Stacho said.

Police arrested three people in the area. There are no leads on the fourth robber.

UPS officials could not be reached for comment.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When it gets close to Christmas time, the crimes increase from people trying to get gifts. Even bank robberies increase.

There are also subtler crimes.......We used to be the landlords for 13 duplexes & houses. At Christmastime, renters were notorious for not paying rent and buying gifts instead. It used to piss me off.

No one should feel that desperate as to commit a crime to have Christmas presents. I guess the "pressure" of the season hits everybody differently.

The only pressure I ever feel in this season is getting packages shipped on time or early for out of towners that I buy for.

There's no excuse for crime, especially violent crime, to put presents under a tree. That's not what Xmas is about.

I hope they catch the idiots and put them away.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have an even worse local story. Some thieves broke into the Atlanta Police Dept.and stole 50K worth of gifts meant for an Empty Stocking Fund to give to needy children. This is considered to be an "inside job", someone knew exactly where the good stuff was being stored.:mad:

I'm glad our Driver in Cleveland is unharmed. Packages can always be replaced, but not a human life.

over9five

Staff member
"There isn`t anything on that truck that`s worth my safety.."

How 'bout your life? I don't care about the truck or packages either, but what if they had shot him?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I saw that in the plain dealer, but I couldnt figure out how to post it, so good job!!

If anyone wants my truck, I would just say, you dont need those guns boys, heres the keys, heres the two bucks I have and Merry Christmas.
Then after I clean out my shorts:peaceful:Ill call someone.
Iam thankful they took the truck, and let the driver go.
Since we havent had a PCM on this.................here it is.
Keep your door shut, be aware of your surroundings, dont be a hero, give them what they want. Nothing in that truck cannot be replaced, stay safe, especially this time of year.
They are not looking for presents, they are looking for drugs. IMO.
That part of Cleveland the driver probaly sees things that many of us will never see, hes probably not suprised when he sees us marshalls, dea, etc, with customers..........And Ill bet he likes to take his breaks back at the nice safe building also.
Have a good weekend.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Glad the driver was OK but if it was a p500 or some piece of crap truck they should have crashed it or burnt it up. Seems to be the only way to make those thing go away.

DorkHead

How 'bout your life? I don't care about the truck or packages either, but what if they had shot him?[/quote]

exactly what I`m saying!! If I am armed do I pull out my gun and engage in a firefight with 4 guys, 2 of them armed? No, I give them whatever they want.

AlaskaMike

"There isn`t anything on that truck that`s worth my safety.."

How 'bout your life? I don't care about the truck or packages either, but what if they had shot him?

Yeah, just what I want, UPS giving me gun use and safety training! If the thugs think we're all armed there might be fewer hijackings, but the ones that do happen will be fatal. A quick shot in the back while you're loading the handtruck and wham-bam, thug takes off in your truck. If you think you can defend yourself with your gun and do your job at the same time, ask yourself why the Brinks truck has two guys in the cab.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Yeah, just what I want, UPS giving me gun use and safety training! If the thugs think we're all armed there might be fewer hijackings, but the ones that do happen will be fatal. A quick shot in the back while you're loading the handtruck and wham-bam, thug takes off in your truck. If you think you can defend yourself with your gun and do your job at the same time, ask yourself why the Brinks truck has two guys in the cab.

A valid 1st post.

Phil800101

I could see maybe...and I mean a big maybe...giving drivers something less than lethal, like a taser or something...but even that is probably a bad idea. I definitely don't think they should be armed with a firearm though. There are so many issues when it comes to carrying a piece as part of your job (insurance, training, etc) that it would never be worth it for UPS to allow drivers to be armed, especially the damage it would probably do to the company's reputation, and the liability it would open them up to. Not to mention the fact that it's highly unlikely a driver would be able to react fast enough to be effective with his/her weapon, considering that most robberies are going to be so quick that you won't see them coming, or they'll just shoot the driver flat out, like AlaskaMike said. And as many said on this thread already, there is nothing in that truck worth dying for, best to just do what they want and get it over with.

Don't get me wrong, I am a proud gun owner myself, and I respect the right of an individual to protect themselves and carry a piece if they feel the need to. I also used to do food delivery for a burrito place, often late at night and many times in bad neighborhoods. So, I empathize with feeling the need to carry a gun to protect yourself while on the job. Believe me, there were many times that I was wishing that I was packing, especially considering the fact that people know delivery drivers are carrying alot of cash, and that bright light-up sign on my car and the bag of food over my shoulder are like big "rob me" signs. However, Illinois is not a right to carry state, so that wasn't an option, and even if I was packing it probably wouldn't have made a difference had I been robbed, because I doubt I would be given any time to react given that most robberies are ambushes.

FromBluetoBrown

I could see maybe...and I mean a big maybe...giving drivers something less than lethal, like a taser or something..

LOL....You would see alot of drivers using these devices against a sup or center manager if they say the wrong thing or don't get what they want.

haha I can just see that happening. But I agree on the protection issue but you will always have a few knuckleheads who go too far and use a gun or tazer on a dog or something and ruin it for everyone else

Phil800101

Honestly, I don't think they should issue Tasers. I was just using it as an example of the most powerful personal protection item that it would ever be possibly feasible to see carried by UPS drivers, and even then I don't think it would be. Tasers still carry alot of issues with liability and training...hell, even just carrying mace/pepper spray raises those issues. Bottom line, I don't think we'll likely ever see drivers carrying anything for personal protection...other than their own sense of judgement, personal wits, and knowledge of an area.

upsdude

I saw that in the plain dealer, but I couldnt figure out how to post it, so good job!!

If anyone wants my truck, I would just say, you dont need those guns boys, heres the keys, heres the two bucks I have and Merry Christmas.
Then after I clean out my shorts:peaceful:Ill call someone.
Iam thankful they took the truck, and let the driver go.
Since we havent had a PCM on this.................here it is.
Keep your door shut, be aware of your surroundings, dont be a hero, give them what they want. Nothing in that truck cannot be replaced, stay safe, especially this time of year.
They are not looking for presents, they are looking for drugs. IMO.
That part of Cleveland the driver probaly sees things that many of us will never see, hes probably not suprised when he sees us marshalls, dea, etc, with customers..........And Ill bet he likes to take his breaks back at the nice safe building also.
Have a good weekend.

Just to add a couple...........

I leave my overhead light on when I exit the truck at night. I also do a quick walk around before entering the truck. Please Please Please make sure the bulk head door is shut and locked before you walk away. You don't need a 200 lb armed package waiting for you to return.

When entering a bank, quick mart etc, "keep your eyes ahead of your work" by looking towards the counter before walking in. Never know what could be happening at the time.