UPS UNION

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Exactly, they will try it to see if they can get away with it. It’s no ones responsibility to show up 30 minutes before the scheduled start time to jockey for a prime route. That’s not the way it works. That’s why all the kiss asses show up at 8am when the start time is 9am. To jockey for a prime route, and to help load the truck for free and search for misloads.
Seniority is all we got. Not necessary to bully your co workers, but that’s the way things work here. When I first started I got bumped onto the nastiest, worst routes possible. Rural stuff in the snow, blown out business route blind in 90 degrees in August, we all go through it. Being a cover is hard. You get the chance to run that gravy resi route with no pickups, you take that baby no questions asked.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Exactly, they will try it to see if they can get away with it. It’s no ones responsibility to show up 30 minutes before the scheduled start time to jockey for a prime route. That’s not the way it works. That’s why all the kiss asses show up at 8am when the start time is 9am. To jockey for a prime route, and to help load the truck for free and search for misloads.
The best part of my job now that I have my own route, snagging my board right at 8:58 every day and walking straight to my truck, on the line next to co workers I actually like. It’s beautiful.

rod

Retired 22 years
The best part of my job now that I have my own route, snagging my board right at 8:58 every day and walking straight to my truck, on the line next to co workers I actually like. It’s beautiful.
NEVER say things are going great at UPS. That's a sure way for them to friend your day up.

UPS MAN Dallas TX

I am a coverage driver, according to my shop steward a coverage driver with more sonority then another coverage driver can not "bump" that coverage driver off of a route. Is that correct?
keep in mind we are both coverage and do not have bid routes for that week.

this is a past practice in my UPS center

Last edited:

Shift 2

I am a coverage driver, according to my shop steward a coverage driver with more sonority then another coverage driver can not "bump" that coverage driver off of a route. Is that correct?

If your in the southern supplement then your coverage seniority is granted by company time. So, If you started working at UPS before the other driver then you should file a seniority grievance. I believe it’s article 46,48 and 49

barnyard

KTM rider
If you do not believe your shop steward, ask to see the language in the contract that covers it.

How many times are you going to start the same thread?

Big Rigger

So then it varies by region. Interesting.
It varies by building as well. Past practice. Every non bid driver in our building has seniority and they choose daily coverage on routes that are open and it been that way for over 40 years.
Wrong. Has nothing to do with if someone was already assigned a route. No one has to show up thirty minutes early to jockey for a route with all the kiss * and nail biters. Before I got my bid route, I used to walk in two minutes before the start time, stroll over to the board, and bump.

You cannot bump a bid driver, whether you have more seniority or not. It is their route. You can bump another cover driver, off a route they are covering, if you have more seniority.
Our coverage drivers can't bump another coverage (non bid) driver if they signed up to cover a route that week on the last scheduled work day of the week prior to UNLESS a bid driver's route is broken out and he bumps the coverage driver to follow his work.

Big Rigger

Screw that.

ManInBrown

It varies by building as well. Past practice. Every non bid driver in our building has seniority and they choose daily coverage on routes that are open and it been that way for over 40 years.

Our coverage drivers can't bump another coverage (non bid) driver if they signed up to cover a route that week on the last scheduled work day of the week prior to UNLESS a bid driver's route is broken out and he bumps the coverage driver to follow his work.
Same here, should have said this also. Here we handed in slips of paper on the last day of the week requesting a route, or routes to cover for the following week. Can’t remember if we were allowed to request more than one, in case we didn’t get our first choice. I think we probably could but I don’t remember. If our seniority afforded us that route, you cannot be bumped by a higher seniority cover.

Last edited:

wht1zzfe

I'm a FT driver and can't bump people according to center manager. Apparently, every single driver in the building is lying to me when they say I can. Route I do is a disaster and goes out in a Uhaul most days. Actively looking for a new job at this point. Grievance pay isn't going to give me back the 6+ extra hours a week being in a rental adds.

Big Rigger

Same here. Sorry, should have said this also. Here we handed in slips of paper on the last day of the week requesting a route, or routes to cover for the following week. Can’t remember if we were allowed to request more than one, in case we didn’t get our first choice. I think we probably could but I don’t remember. If our seniority afforded us that route, you cannot be bumped by a higher seniority cover.
Better ask for more than one. We have route selection forms. Time stamped and given to a supe. Seniority (in classifications) is everything...unless your rider, etc doesn't have classification restrictions in bidding and only goes by seniority.

Big Rigger

I'm a FT driver and can't bump people according to center manager. Apparently, every single driver in the building is lying to me when they say I can. Route I do is a disaster and goes out in a Uhaul most days. Actively looking for a new job at this point. Grievance pay isn't going to give me back the 6+ extra hours a week being in a rental adds.
Pay? Fix your seniority issues through the grievance procedure. Getting paid for your seniority being violated will just be the icing on the cake. Once the company has to fork out money (keep filing!) then you will get the route that your seniority prevails on...

unless your seniority means nothing there.

And that is garbage language.

ManInBrown

Better ask for more than one. We have route selection forms. Time stamped and given to a supe. Seniority (in classifications) is everything...unless your rider, etc doesn't have classification restrictions in bidding and only goes by seniority.
No route selection forms here. Scrap paper, name, week ending, route requested. Placed on, on cars desk Friday night. I don’t really remember requesting more than one. Could be wrong though. Been years.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS