UPS Work Ethic - IS America Losing It?

Dr.Brownz

Also consumer based economy is in no way superior to any other type of economy. All it does it push planned obsolenence, make the rich richer and enslave us to crap we don't even really need.

Humans were not meant to live the life we do, with all this work and stress. All the depression and mental disorders are proof. The simple life brings more joy than any iPad could.

I think over crowding lack of exercise and poor diet cause most of the mental illnesses

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Which is still at specific times not everyday; so they eat corn every day and get nutrient deficincies and then they eat potatoes everyday and suffer some other nutrient deficiencies

Besides you probably just read that in a book I cant imagine a new york rat like yourself has ever walked on anything but concrete
Upstate New York

box_beeyotch

The only thing I can think after reading this thread is "who the hell cares about China"...unless it's one of those naughty women supplying a happy ending for daddy.

BrownTexas

Most "poor" people in America have a roof over their heads, a refrigerator, stove, microwave, A/C, flat screen TV, cell phone, and all the other basics. They are actually rich compared to much of the world who are really dirt poor just trying to survive until tomorrow.

Entry level minimum wage jobs aren't designed to support a family on. .
I agree. Most people aren't "poor". Take away cable TV, a cell phone, a car, a large flat screen, Jordan's, name brand clothes, and other luxuries people believe they should have instead of should have to earn. Unskilled labor minimum wage becomes much easier to live on.

Cowboy Mac

I'm 19 and I'm a PTer at UPS. I work 3 jobs right now to pay off my student loan debt from my first and only year of college. Only $2k to go! But it will take me until December. I'm done with school and the debt filled lifestyle that goes along with it. I have a good thing at UPS. I'm the only person my age that I know that has full benefits and even paid vacation.

I've accepted that I'm going to have to pay my dues to get to the big money. And I might have to work 2 or 3 jobs for a few years before I start driving. That's just the way it is. So in the meantime I show up to work on time every day and I work by the methods and I don't take any :censored2: from management.

If you guys think work ethic in America is dwindling then you would be correct, but it's not completely lost on us young guys.

Nick9075

Oh really. Minimum wage job for 3 hours a day and no benefits and be treated like a borrowed mule? I think most young people are smarter then that. When I started PT I was making $.50/hr less then a FT driver. UPS had no problem hiring good PT employees. When you pay peanuts, you hire monkeys.

Uh they accepted that wage did they not? and you also didn't mention that they get full union benefits - healthcare, dental, tuition reimbursement. Being treated like a 'borrowed mule'?? nice hyperbole... again they are free to quit and find a C level position in Boston where they are paid $85,000 a year and can post on Facebook & Instagram for 6 hours a day

Nick9075

I'm 19 and I'm a PTer at UPS. I work 3 jobs right now to pay off my student loan debt from my first and only year of college. Only $2k to go! But it will take me until December. I'm done with school and the debt filled lifestyle that goes along with it. I have a good thing at UPS. I'm the only person my age that I know that has full benefits and even paid vacation.

I've accepted that I'm going to have to pay my dues to get to the big money. And I might have to work 2 or 3 jobs for a few years before I start driving. That's just the way it is. So in the meantime I show up to work on time every day and I work by the methods and I don't take any :censored2: from management.

If you guys think work ethic in America is dwindling then you would be correct, but it's not completely lost on us young guys.

$2,000 is nothing. I pay $1980 a month in rent for a town 25 miles outside of Boston that is near the hub in Chelmsford. I bet your friends tease you that you don't have the latest Jordans or can't afford to spend $15,000 for sleeve tattoos. I am too busy working to hang out with shallow, materialistic :censored2:heads who try to manipulate others into paying for them or acting as their chauffeaur when they need a ride - my answer is - call a taxi or hire a car and driver for the day

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
$2,000 is nothing. I pay $1980 a month in rent for a town 25 miles outside of Boston that is near the hub in Chelmsford. I bet your friends tease you that you don't have the latest Jordans or can't afford to spend $15,000 for sleeve tattoos. I am too busy working to hang out with shallow, materialistic :censored2:heads who try to manipulate others into paying for them or acting as their chauffeaur when they need a ride - my answer is - call a taxi or hire a car and driver for the day
I pay roughly the same per month. My house payment, property taxes, and 500 each for 2 kids college apartments.

Nick9075

It all starts with parents and how they raise the next generation. No, having your kids work during the summer isn't child abuse. Neither is demanding they get good grades, brush their teeth, and wear suitable cloths for their age. Showing them how to balance a checkbook, pay for a bill (Netflix) with their own money, and making them save a portion in their paycheck considered "running my house like North Korea"; was told that last week.

It's called parenting, I'm trying to raise adults, not 26yr old children that come back home because I didn't give them life skills.

NETFLIX?? A $9.99 a month bill LOL!!!! Oh my god forcing a 20 year old to pay a whole $9.99 a month which is less than what I pay for lunch each day

Heaven forbid the parents make their kids pay for their own car insurance, their Iphone bill or their Comcast cable + Internet bundle which costs $250 a month. I am trying to get a part time job with UPS to pay my bills. I don't know how these kids can afford all this without hitting up parents, credit cards & maxing out student loans. I spend around $5,000 for just basic expenses each month -- don't take any type of vacation, no concerts, red sox games, don't summer on either cape (Cape Cod or Cape Ann)....
BTW, the parking lot in the Chelmsford hub is filled with $50,000 + late model SUV's - guess they all belong to the drivers since a $14.00 an hour part time salary doesn't exactly make the car payment + insurance payment on that.
My 2012 Red Honda Accord EX-L with 15,000 miles is a beater compared to the Ford F350s

Nick9075

I pay roughly the same per month. My house payment, property taxes, and 500 each for 2 kids college apartments.

Oh you have kids. I am single no wife, child or spouce to support. I would never even begin to wonder how one can afford even one kid on less than $200,000 in eastern Mass (east of I 495)

Nick9075

Many here on this thread seem to be drunk on the MSNBC kool aid. If you really believe the job market and economy is worse than 30 years ago and if you really believe that all student loans are taken to pay for 'tuition' only (never for Jordans, Sleeve tattoos, summering on Cape Cod or Cape Ann).

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
NETFLIX?? A $9.99 a month bill LOL!!!! Oh my god forcing a 20 year old to pay a whole $9.99 a month which is less than what I pay for lunch each day

Heaven forbid the parents make their kids pay for their own car insurance, their Iphone bill or their Comcast cable + Internet bundle which costs $250 a month. I am trying to get a part time job with UPS to pay my bills. I don't know how these kids can afford all this without hitting up parents, credit cards & maxing out student loans. I spend around $5,000 for just basic expenses each month -- don't take any type of vacation, no concerts, red sox games, don't summer on either cape (Cape Cod or Cape Ann)....
BTW, the parking lot in the Chelmsfield hub is filled with $50,000 + late model SUV's - guess they all belong to the drivers since a $14.00 an hour part time salary doesn't exactly make the car payment + insurance payment on that.
When half their check of lifeguarding goes to savings, the other half pays for their own things (eating out, random shoes, ect) the NetFlix is an example of a reoccurring bill that forces reconciliation besides random acts of spend. Oh, did I mention she's making $9.00 hr and taking other kids shifts to the point of 40hrs a week? Did I also mention she's at 3.7GPA and recently turned 16yr old (not 20)? Oh, one more thing, I'm also damn proud of her and she's an asset to society and generation.

As a side note, if you're spending more than 9.99 a day in food perhaps I could help you with the reason why you're having problems paying your bills.

Nick9075

I think over crowding lack of exercise and poor diet cause most of the mental illnesses

Actually NYC ranks as one of the most healthiest cities.. Mental illness is probably caused by 60-80 hour work weeks but most people look very healthy and are doing very well.. People in Boston on the other hand seem miserable, constantly angry and look very unhealthy but then again Boston is one the top 10 drunkest cities in the USA.

Nick9075

When half their check of lifeguarding goes to savings, the other half pays for their own things (eating out, random shoes, ect) the NetFlix is an example of a reoccurring bill that forces reconciliation besides random acts of spend. Oh, did I mention she's making $9.00 hr and taking other kids shifts to the point of 40hrs a week? Did I also mention she's at 3.7GPA and recently turned 16yr old (not 20)? Oh, one more thing, I'm also damn proud of her and she's an asset to society and generation.

Paying for netflix & shoes.. How nice.. Do both of you shop at the Natick collection (or did they change the name to the Natick Mall now).. for $800 Manalo Blahniks with the reasoning that she will be taken seriously by the 'right people' (the C level executives that live in Wellesley)