UPS worker airlifted after being pinned between semi and dock

Box Ox

Rough! Back when I was an unloader, we’d continue to PAL bagged smalls between trailer shifts. Was very little workspace and very little distance between my spot and the edge of the catwalk that the next trailer would back up to. Would have hated to have slipped or made a small misstep and been similarly pinned.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
I absolutely hate it when I've put a trailer to the dock, find that I'm somewhat off alignment, and then hear/feel through the fifth wheel that someone has already opened the trailer before I've set the brake. Sups here also like to have loaders re-open trailers after we've checked the back just to sneak in a few more packages. I think I'll replenish my supply of zip ties and make sure to use them today.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
How could this happen ???
Did the guy jump down to retrieve a pkg ?
Why would any one go behind a moving trailer ?
Prayers for him and the poor driver !!
I'm sure they'll grille the sh it out of the poor driver , probably nothing he could do !

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
How could this happen ???
Did the guy jump down to retrieve a pkg ?
Why would any one go behind a moving trailer ?
Prayers for him and the poor driver !!
I'm sure they'll grille the sh it out of the poor driver , probably nothing he could do !

Could have been a shifter who walked back to see if the trailer had an pallets on it before spotting it on an outbound door. Maybe he forgot to set his parking brake and it rolled back into him.

Very sad.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I absolutely hate it when I've put a trailer to the dock, find that I'm somewhat off alignment, and then hear/feel through the fifth wheel that someone has already opened the trailer before I've set the brake. Sups here also like to have loaders re-open trailers after we've checked the back just to sneak in a few more packages. I think I'll replenish my supply of zip ties and make sure to use them today.
what ever happened to the garage door being closed until you dropped the trailer.? did that change?

we were not allowed to back a trailer or pull a trailer unless the warehouse door was closed.

Covemastah

I love when I go inside when shifting , close door to bump over , tell them , then they still go into it !!!!

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Numerous times I was unloading trailers and someone started pulling away from the dock with me still in the truck...I guess after three hours of eating Fritos these guys have brain farts

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
How does this type of thing continue to happen?

They have locks to keep the trucks from pulling without being released from an insider, why don't they have brakes / barriers to keep trucks from docking without another human intervention from inside?

Covemastah

How does this type of thing continue to happen?

They have locks to keep the trucks from pulling without being released from an insider, why don't they have brakes / barriers to keep trucks from docking without another human intervention from inside?
All we have @scooby0048 is yard control rules and safety vest , most rules are thrown out the window unfortunately when people are under the gun , or just plain arnt paying attention ,, as a feeder driver , who's done plenty of shifting , I find it safer on the road than in the yard !! Everyone's in a rush , no one Seems focused and you really have to think for others !! So many times , I've actually had some millennials walk behind a backing trailer because they felt entitled to the cross walk , they come out of the building looking at their phones , not at the active situations around them!!
It's the me generation , not saying this is what happened in this particular situation but as a whole the yard is getting more dangerous each year !