Ups worth the wait?

davidix

My thoughts exactly, I feel like if you have no other skills or education, then ups makes for a great career. Despite all of the crap people say on here, we work for a great company that pays its employees well.
Why wait? Time is short.

I think the wait for driver at my hub is like 2 years. At least that's what the word is. I also heard that 2017 a lot of people are going to retire because the pension goes up. That will put me at close to 2 years by then. I have my fingers crossed.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you can filter out 95% of the BS, follow the methods, be an active Union member, be really thick skinned and develop a warped sense of humor go for it. It isn't THE GREAT JOB it used to be but it's probably better than most other "unskilled jobs" (I hate that definition) when it comes to pay & benefits.

davidix

If you can filter out 95% of the BS, follow the methods, be an active Union member, be really thick skinned and develop a warped sense of humor go for it. It isn't THE GREAT JOB it used to be but it's probably better than most other "unskilled jobs" (I hate that definition) when it comes to pay & benefits.
Honestly I get the feeling you need to have thicker skin on the forum than on the actual job lol. Back when I 1st applied I browsed the forum and there was a new guy asking about how hard package handling was. And the responses were crazy. Just trashing this poor kid for being a wuss or not a real worker. Needless to say I went into it thinking the job was going to be brutal. Then after the 1st week I was like seriously? This isn't even hard work. I guess hard work is a relative term. Take it with a grain of salt :)

rod

Retired 22 years
Honestly I get the feeling you need to have thicker skin on the forum than on the actual job lol. Back when I 1st applied I browsed the forum and there was a new guy asking about how hard package handling was. And the responses were crazy. Just trashing this poor kid for being a wuss or not a real worker. Needless to say I went into it thinking the job was going to be brutal. Then after the 1st week I was like seriously? This isn't even hard work. I guess hard work is a relative term. Take it with a grain of salt :)

Life in general requires some thick skin. The "greetings" to the newbies on BC can be brutal. I think alcohol probably has something to do with it although there are a few regulars who are just born A-holes :-)

underworked1

If I had to churn out years of part time to be a driver I wouldn't have done it. I was hired off the street. Still have a 4 year progression. Of thay 4, 3 years of it isn't higher pay than my last job.

moldsporh

I'll put it like this. If you have a dream job you really want, peruse that. Go for it. If you have no plans, and you are not spending thousands on a college education, stick with it, and sign every full time bid sheet that comes up. Good luck.

Well said.

UPS pays well,.it's hard work but you get used to it, it's a big mental mind $#!% as well. Just go out and don't screw around, keep up the pace and work the methods.

There are weekends I'm sore but is not too bad. Stay hydrated and stay focused....good luck.