Using Managers To Run SDR Routes

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm hearing that a lot of locations required management to come-in today and do Saturday routes to cut hours and OT. Think this makes them happy? Oh, and you can't do this type of thing at UPS, as their contract forbids management taking work from hourlies.

MAKAVELI

I'm hearing that a lot of locations required management to come-in today and do Saturday routes to cut hours and OT. Think this makes them happy? Oh, and you can't do this type of thing at UPS, as their contract forbids management taking work from hourlies.
I'm hearing that too. I'm sure these ops managers are loving it. :)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Their job isn't to run the operation now nearly as much as run interference and protect upper mgmt from the hourlies.

Exactly. they just enforce the stupidity coming down from MEM. In my station, they are pulling 12-14 hour days already, going crazy trying to make DRA work (good luck), and generally being :censored2: upon in all directions. Like I said, I know of several good ones who have had it and are stepping down. I'm sure there are plenty of others thinking about it.

MAKAVELI

Their job isn't to run the operation now nearly as much as run interference and protect upper mgmt from the hourlies.

Exactly. they just enforce the stupidity coming down from MEM. In my station, they are pulling 12-14 hour days already, going crazy trying to make DRA work (good luck), and generally being :censored2: upon in all directions. Like I said, I know of several good ones who have had it and are stepping down. I'm sure there are plenty of others thinking about it.
At least they will automatically be topped out unless good ol boy Fred decides to take that perk away.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That'll be a laugh too see a couple of our managers doing a Saturday route. They're one's that don't like to get their hands dirty.

hypo hanna

Used to be it was a job worth having. Now drivers see it for what it is and wouldn't take it for anything. Seeing lots of them hired off the street now or they are couriers for less then a year or two before going into it.

​sad.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I know of several who are going to downgrade. It must be miserable to be an Ops Manager these days. A thankless job.

They will try...and fail. Nobody is lining up for those jobs either. It has been a long time coming, and these are not very smart people that we are talking about either so they will stay right where they are.

Unless by downgrade you mean that they are going back to Wendy's to run the third shift from whence they came.

Nick9075

Used to be it was a job worth having. Now drivers see it for what it is and wouldn't take it for anything. Seeing lots of them hired off the street now or they are couriers for less then a year or two before going into it.

​sad.

Like I have said in an improving economy that is generating 180K + jobs a month, it will be hard to find people especially given what the pay rate is even worse relative to the cost of living. Ex. in the suburbs of NYC a basic one bedroom apartment costs $2,000 or more a month in rent (owning property is an impossible dream for anyone not in the top 5%), who are they going to hire when they are paying what they are -- some 20 something kid who lives at home with mommy & daddy who just maybe made it thru high school and not interested in education as much as being interested in tattoos, designer clothes, sneakers, clubbing, drugs..

whenIgetthere

That would explain why I saw one of our op's manager's drive by my house in a W700 while I was mowing my lawn this morning! Luckily, he doesn't know where I live!

whenIgetthere

It's sad to say it would be the only way for a midrange employee to top out now.

We had an op's manager a few years ago who downgraded when they were depleting the management ranks, he was a courier for less than a year, then manager for less than a year. When he downgraded, he was topped out after less than two years, and as a swing, he always got the cherry routes. Damn guy was in his early twenties!

Goldilocks

​sad.

What happens to these new employees when DRA crashes? Do they know their areas? Do they know how to plot their stops? Mapsco went under so where are the maps? This is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Maui

We had an op's manager a few years ago who downgraded when they were depleting the management ranks, he was a courier for less than a year, then manager for less than a year. When he downgraded, he was topped out after less than two years, and as a swing, he always got the cherry routes. Damn guy was in his early twenties!

If he downgraded in less than a year it wasn't by choice. He was forced.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What happens to these new employees when DRA crashes? Do they know their areas? Do they know how to plot their stops? Mapsco went under so where are the maps? This is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Every once in a great while (normally during Peak) our computer system does not let us download EDD in to our DIADs so we have to go "old school". It is hilarious watching the younger kids get all nervous about running their areas without their crutch.

bbsam

Staff member
Like I have said in an improving economy that is generating 180K + jobs a month, it will be hard to find people especially given what the pay rate is even worse relative to the cost of living. Ex. in the suburbs of NYC a basic one bedroom apartment costs $2,000 or more a month in rent (owning property is an impossible dream for anyone not in the top 5%), who are they going to hire when they are paying what they are -- some 20 something kid who lives at home with mommy & daddy who just maybe made it thru high school and not interested in education as much as being interested in tattoos, designer clothes, sneakers, clubbing, drugs..
So it's a young mans game. You sound awfully envious of the spoiled little kids in mommy and daddys house, but there is no reason for you to be in that situation. What questions didn't you ask, what answers weren't given? You went in with eyes wide open. What happened? Didn't you know what the expenses were? Did you see the settlement sheets?

Bankrupt

I know of several who are going to downgrade. It must be miserable to be an Ops Manager these days. A thankless job.
I actually like my current mgr(most I have despised) it was actually a difficult decision for me to let my integrity go and WAD but even a seasoned employee like myself who remembers this company as the one that got her a house nice vehicles and use to take care of her families needs has been broken due to the insanity these days. I believe my mgr is close to it herself just by her demeanor and the lack of enthusiasm she shows when speaking on all the changes put upon us by upper mgmnt. It basically comes across as a "this is how it as to be even though I don't agree" statement. I guess a lot of ops mgrs are just WAD also they really don't have any ability to run their operations anymore.