Using the "not ready" option for jerks?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Customers receive 3 attempts on call tags and deliveries. If they have an ODS (On Demand Service) pick up in which the customer specially requests a pickup before a certain time of the day they receive one attempt.

Some call tags in which the driver has with them they can leave with the customer if they dont have the item ready and the customer can ship it out themselves.

RS1

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Should never use "Refuse" on jerks.

Y'all are forgetting who are the customers, and that's the ones shipping the packages. They paid for a service and it should be rendered for them. Don't waste their resources because a bad encounter with a consignee upsets you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Should never use "Refuse" on jerks.

Y'all are forgetting who are the customers, and that's the ones shipping the packages. They paid for a service and it should be rendered for them. Don't waste their resources because a bad encounter with a consignee upsets you.
I will wait a reasonable amount of time but when it becomes apparent that the customer has no intention of taking care of business in a timely manner then the packages get refused. We provided the shipper with the requested service; it is the customer who is refusing to accept the packages.

soberups

I have the "pleasure" of delivering NDA to Walgreens. I will go around back, push the buzzer, wait for no more than 2 minutes and then drive out front and deliver through the front door. I go around back per their request and to satisfy Telematics but still have NDA that needs to be delivered.
When I started sending their packages back as "refused", the Walgreens on my route started answering the door a lot faster.

Dr.Brownz

I have the "pleasure" of delivering NDA to Walgreens. I will go around back, push the buzzer, wait for no more than 2 minutes and then drive out front and deliver through the front door. I go around back per their request and to satisfy Telematics but still have NDA that needs to be delivered.

After the second time at the back door i'd be coming in the front everyday.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I tried that. They told me they would not sign unless I was at the backdoor and they did not have time to go back there. I came back the next day.
They've said the same thing to me. At the time I just thought our Walgreens was bad and understaffed, but now I can see it's just a horribly run place country wide.

The lady actually called me an impatient jerk because I brought their stuff up front after waiting in the back. I told her we didn't have time to wait 5 minutes for people to come to receiving and she said didn't have anyone available to go back there at the time. So basically she expected me to wait there for who knows how long for someone to finally come. I told her to sign for the stuff or she would get it tomorrow, so she signed but told me NEVER to come up front again. I've NI1'd them twice since then.

soberups

....and they would be on the phone with the 1-800# right after you left.....I go around back to satisfy them but almost always end up having to go through the front as I still have more NDA to get rid of...

If they get tired enough of the hassle of calling the 1-800 number and getting put on hold, then they will either start answering the door in a timely manner or allow deliveries to be brought up front.
Expecting us to indefinitely stand by the back door not knowing when, or if, they will ever bother to answer it is not reasonable. We have other customers who want to sign for their packages and it isn't fair to make them wait on one who doesn't.

soberups

I tried that. They told me they would not sign unless I was at the backdoor and they did not have time to go back there. I came back the next day.
"Then you and I can both walk to the back door right now so that we can all say that the package was signed for at the back door. Or I can send it back as refused so as to avoid inconveniencing you. I understand that you have other customers, but so do I."

soberups

Ni1 only postpones the problem, it doesn't solve it.
Refused will eventually force them to solve it.

ManInBrown

I just sheet refused. As another poster stated it's a very thin line between showing them they are on your time, and being rude. I have one particular office that doesn't get deliveries all that often. But when they do, it's like pulling teeth getting a signature. I just sheet it refused and walk out. Let them reorder whatever it was. I'm not standing there all day

And I'll rinse and repeat next time if they would like me to.

ManInBrown

They've said the same thing to me. At the time I just thought our Walgreens was bad and understaffed, but now I can see it's just a horribly run place country wide.

The lady actually called me an impatient jerk because I brought their stuff up front after waiting in the back. I told her we didn't have time to wait 5 minutes for people to come to receiving and she said didn't have anyone available to go back there at the time. So basically she expected me to wait there for who knows how long for someone to finally come. I told her to sign for the stuff or she would get it tomorrow, so she signed but told me NEVER to come up front again. I've NI1'd them twice since then.
When she said never come up front again, you should have said 3 minutes at that back door, no one answers you're not getting you're deliveries anymore. I'd put a stopwatch to it. 3 minutes every day. Refused, refused, refused

Oh Shoot

What gets me are these big retail stores like k-mart, target, shopko, etc. that never have anyone in receiving. How is that possible! I used to call the store and have them send someone back, but now I do what you do and wait maybe 2 minutes and just leave.
Ive done that this before at a kmart pickup

9.5er

I deliver to 3 different Walgreens in separate towns. (Different routes) All of them get front door deliveries. I go straight to the photo center and they call the manager for me. Most days I'm in and out in just a couple minutes.

soberups

I deliver to 3 different Walgreens in separate towns. (Different routes) All of them get front door deliveries. I go straight to the photo center and they call the manager for me. Most days I'm in and out in just a couple minutes.
And if they were all like this there would be no issue. The problem is that most of them (a) refuse to accept deliveries in the front and (b) refuse to answer the back door in anything like a timely manner.

StoptheAct1212

Ive done not ready... better than falsifying documents. They weren't ready.... see them tomorrow... better than lying, ni1 or refused.

And wallgreens. Wtf.
I delivered to about 6 or 7 different stores. But 1 insisted to use the back door that they take forever to answer.. had a nda for cosmetics so i figured, lets just get it there quick... manager was at counter and said i need to go around back.... i was like im sorry, figured it was a nda and was important... she said no go to back door... nope, refused....