Using vacation and sick pay to get 500 hours

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, it is doable.

Our (Upstate NY) pension requires 1000 hours for a full year of pension credit. This works out to a projected retirement date of 6/22/18. I will use my 6 weeks of vacation (270 hours), 4 personal (32 hours) and 5 sick (40 hours) days as credit toward the 1000 and have a projected last work day of 4/30/18.

All I have to do is work 4 months straight without taking a single day off.

rickspick

Thanks!! I see how the math will work for you. What about not wanting to physically come in to work in 2018? How about using my vac I earned in 2017 for the first 6 weeks and my sick pay for 7 weeks to equal 13 weeks. Which would give my the needed 500 hrs?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks!! I see how the math will work for you. What about not wanting to physically come in to work in 2018? How about using my vac I earned in 2017 for the first 6 weeks and my sick pay for 7 weeks to equal 13 weeks. Which would give my the needed 500 hrs?

You would need to work at least one day in 2018 to be able to use the vacation.

rickspick

Wouldn't calling in sick be the same? How did you find that info? I have left messages with my local as well as HR. Can't find an answer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wouldn't calling in sick be the same? How did you find that info? I have left messages with my local as well as HR. Can't find an answer.

You have to work at least one day in the new year to receive your paid time from the previous year. Also, your seniority date will determine how many of your vacation weeks that you would actually receive.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Where do you get seven weeks of sick pay at?

rickspick

Yes, I rolled over some sick pay. Years ago there was another driver that I got to know and I thought that he did the same thing as I am trying to do. I'm just having trouble with the idea that in order to receive my vacation that I earned in 2017 I have to physically work one day in 2018. I always thought that my vacation and sick were always counted as regular days that would go towards my pension.

Where are you finding this information? I'm in the western area if that makes a difference.

Yes, I rolled over some sick pay. Years ago there was another driver that I got to know and I thought that he did the same thing as I am trying to do. I'm just having trouble with the idea that in order to receive my vacation that I earned in 2017 I have to physically work one day in 2018. I always thought that my vacation and sick were always counted as regular days that would go towards my pension.

Where are you finding this information? I'm in the western area if that makes a difference.
All hours count as hours towards your pension.

CoolStoryBro

Where do you get seven weeks of sick pay at?

In some locals you accrue unused sick days. And they are available forever if you never used them. In my local you can accrue up to 10 weeks of sick pay. Any unused sick pay above and beyond 400 hours is simply paid out on your check as you earn it. We get 3.33 hours of sick pay every month in my local or 40 hours per year. And when we retire all unused sick hours are paid out.

Ghost in the Darkness

A lot of things are different according to the supplemental contracts. Here its 1000hrs, sick days not used are paid out at the end of Nov or early Dec, and like Upstate said you have to work a day in the new year to get the vacation time. But it may be different where you are so your local is where you will get your answer. Keep bugging them.

rickspick

Upstate...Where did you find that information? If I don't work a day in the new year do I forfeit my vacation? What happens to the money that I earned? Does anyone have a number where a human will answer? None of my messages have been returned.
Thanks

Shiftless

rickspick

It will help if you say what region you are working in. That way, those under that agreement may be able to shed light on who you might contact. Some locals are pretty good at info but you will find many are not as the Teamster world is more than just UPS.

ME? I was under the Western Region Agreement. I worked the 500 hours in the year to reap the Teamster point for my peer 80 as I was 49 years old when I retired. I don't absolutely know for sure for your case, but your local can give you info and lead you farther with a little checking. The company has nothing to do with your 500 or 1000 hour requirement per your regional contract. This is an all Teamster issue for you.

Remember there is more to this than just this one issue. The Teamsters will control how many hours you work after you retire! All the way to age 65! Altho I just read somewhere the Central States relaxed that restriction due to reducing retirement payments recently.

Know your stuff before you retire! Don't go to early if you cant meet the requirement's they impose on you.

Its the best thing ever for a UPS employee to get a life back! Been out 12.5 years and haven't regretted my long plotted "i"m the flock outta here the first day I can" phrase I always claimed and believed!

rickspick

Shiftless.... I am also under the western agreement and am trying to go out just like you. I am trying to use my vacation/sick to get the 500 hours next year for a peer point without physically walking into work. It seems to be a question that no one can answer. So am I wasting my time by trying to reach someone in hr? If it's teamster only I can focus more on them!!!

Side note: your username is familiar..... Wonder if I know you from other boards,

Shiftless

Shiftless.... I am also under the western agreement and am trying to go out just like you. I am trying to use my vacation/sick to get the 500 hours next year for a peer point without physically walking into work. It seems to be a question that no one can answer. So am I wasting my time by trying to reach someone in hr? If it's teamster only I can focus more on them!!!

Side note: your username is familiar..... Wonder if I know you from other boards,

Here, call the Western Conference Teamsters of Pension Trust, Northwest Admin office.
2323 Eastlake Ave. E. Seattle, Washington 98102 at 800-531-1489. They will help you. They call all the shots! Don't ask UPS anything! In the Western Conference the Teamsters pay your annuity and UPS provides a capped healthcare plan. Once your good with them, just tell UPS the date you are exiting when the Teamsters say you qualify.

? know me? I worked out of 572 and 186.

rickspick

Thanks shiftless. I called. Too late. Closed. But they did have a website. Uuuggghhhh. It had info and of course addresses/ numbers....... Back to where I started. I met with the pension people already. Got a lot of information...... Except for the one question I can't get answered. My advisor told me that I would need 500 hrs to get a point for next year.... I told him about my vac/sick day plan and he couldn't answer.... Is this something that no one has done?

I don't know you from work.... I have just seen a username like yours in another site and wondered if they were the same.... Of course I can't remember which site now.... When I see it next I'll have more details
Thanks

Shiftless

My guess is the hours have to be worked hours but I just don't know for sure? Make sure you find out!

My case was I needed the 500 and picked up my birthday year. To get medical when I retired you had to be 50!
Make sure you have that number figured out before you retire.

I say that because if you are doing what I did? Going the fastest out you can, at an early age, make dang sure you qualify for the UPS Healthcare benefits. Know that age number!

I tell everyone I retired at 49. Kind of misleading in away I guess? Sure I was 49 and 3/4. To hit that 50 mark I had been planning for years by keeping any unused sick days and vacation time I could on the books. I had almost 6 months of time stored up that put me well past my 50th Birthday.