USPS BOSS: WE IN DEEP DOO-DOO!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lol, Wait until some key races are won by GOP candidates because voters filled out ballots correctly and were not rejected. Watch the left hate on the USPS big time.

CtrlAltDel

Im not even playing, I saw a postal worker driving around on my route, driving up to mail boxes, sticking her hand out like she was putting something in there but she wasnt, and then driving to the next one. She did it to about 20 mail boxes that I could see before I was out of view. I kept thinking, why even bother driving up to them if you dont have anything to deliver? To make yourself feel like youre part of a vital operation or something?

I have a residential only route with the post office. I have about a dozen residents that like to put outgoing mail inside the box but do not leave their flag up. They are scattered throughout the route. So if i don't have mail for them, i have to check just in case.

As for that postal worker, talk about costing the company money with that level of productivity.

I think the biggest change the post office can do is changing the culture inside the company. There is a big disconnect between the workforce and management. The two aren't on the same page and that has resulted in the financial climate of the Postal Service. Not even a financial doom of the company is bringing the two sides together. I look at it like a professional sports team. In order for the head coach to succeed, he needs his players to buy into the team. The post office is like the New York Knicks. Very dysfunctional. Revolving door of head coaches. Same old results.

JJinVA

I have a residential only route with the post office. I have about a dozen residents that like to put outgoing mail inside the box but do not leave their flag up. They are scattered throughout the route. So if i don't have mail for them, i have to check just in case.

As for that postal worker, talk about costing the company money with that level of productivity.

I think the biggest change the post office can do is changing the culture inside the company. There is a big disconnect between the workforce and management. The two aren't on the same page and that has resulted in the financial climate of the Postal Service. Not even a financial doom of the company is bringing the two sides together. I look at it like a professional sports team. In order for the head coach to succeed, he needs his players to buy into the team. The post office is like the New York Knicks. Very dysfunctional. Revolving door of head coaches. Same old results.

If the USPS went belly up and UPS was awarded the routes, would you be willing to sign on to UPS or would you just say the hell w it and head to the garden section at Lowe's?

CtrlAltDel

If the USPS went belly up and UPS was awarded the routes, would you be willing to sign on to UPS or would you just say the hell w it and head to the garden section at Lowe's?
My plan is to jump ship to UPS after three years of service with the Post Office. My three year mark is February 20, 2021. Then try to jump ship as a "off the street" hire out of state somewhere in the Western Part of the United States. I am hoping it's a Regular Full Time Package driver job or Combination 22.4 driver. Whatever is available when that time comes. Goal is to obviously get hired. Pass the 30-day probation. Then bring my family to the new location. Next year I should have 20 days of annual leave to use which will work great with the transition.

That case scenario if UPS were awarded the routes, I'll definitely be on board. I already dealt with USPS management and know what to expect from the delivery side. I have worked overtime quite a bit during my first four years (two years as a non-career carrier). The last four months I have been on the 8 hour list as a result of covid19. While being home with my wife and kids have been great, my body is getting some rest. I still have to increase my income level. Right now the post office takes 12 years to max out to the top income level (which is only $61k base pay) I also would like to get out of Arizona too and go somewhere cooler / colder.

What got me into the post office was a retired UPS driver. I had a conversation with him from my previous job and he told me a lot about the work and the benefits he received. He also told me that it could take a while to become a driver depending on your location. But I stumbled into the post office instead. When i heard that UPS hires off the street, this has become my Plan B in case the Post Office goes broke. I just hope the post office can last at least 10 more months.

JJinVA

My plan is to jump ship to UPS after three years of service with the Post Office. My three year mark is February 20, 2021. Then try to jump ship as a "off the street" hire out of state somewhere in the Western Part of the United States. I am hoping it's a Regular Full Time Package driver job or Combination 22.4 driver. Whatever is available when that time comes. Goal is to obviously get hired. Pass the 30-day probation. Then bring my family to the new location. Next year I should have 20 days of annual leave to use which will work great with the transition.

That case scenario if UPS were awarded the routes, I'll definitely be on board. I already dealt with USPS management and know what to expect from the delivery side. I have worked overtime quite a bit during my first four years (two years as a non-career carrier). The last four months I have been on the 8 hour list as a result of covid19. While being home with my wife and kids have been great, my body is getting some rest. I still have to increase my income level. Right now the post office takes 12 years to max out to the top income level (which is only $61k base pay) I also would like to get out of Arizona too and go somewhere cooler / colder.

What got me into the post office was a retired UPS driver. I had a conversation with him from my previous job and he told me a lot about the work and the benefits he received. He also told me that it could take a while to become a driver depending on your location. But I stumbled into the post office instead. When i heard that UPS hires off the street, this has become my Plan B in case the Post Office goes broke. I just hope the post office can last at least 10 more months.

If youre open to the idea of moving, look for rural areas that are boasting lots of growth. I know at my center, I went driving in 9 months. The guy that got me in to UPS had to work preload for 6 years before going driving because he was at a LARGEEEE hub with lots of ppl infront of him. Then the volume got so out of control that they had no choice but to open up another center about 40 miles south of that one. Thats the one I ended up going to even though the city I live in has a big one. If I had went to the big one, today, Id probably be stuck in preload until retirement. But we are hiring 2 drivers every week! Our volume, even for a smaller center, has been greater than some of the bigger centers around us. I got lucky as far as timing goes I suppose but knowing what I know now about UPS, that would have been the approach I took if interested in working here.

But who knows what the future of mail is. I certainly dont, but I do know to some degree UPS is already set up to deal with mail per our surepost. Im sure if the demand was there to pick it up, UPS could find a way to make it happen. I can imagine little brown mail trucks with the shield on the side. Might end up being a good retirement gig for old timer UPS'ers even. Instead of bidding on a country route they could bid on a surepost route. *shrug*