USPS set to close 2,000 branches.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Why in the world does the USPS still deliver on Saturday? It's a totally unnecessary service, and could save millions if done away with!

When you are paying those drivers 2 - 3 days straight up of overtime, you're gonna lose out BIG TIME! Its why UPS has a force on its own driving Saturday air. Its smart and saves money from overtime.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When you are paying those drivers 2 - 3 days straight up of overtime, you're gonna lose out BIG TIME! Its why UPS has a force on its own driving Saturday air. Its smart and saves money from overtime.

ORLY!?!, you should start a blog.
First financial planning, now business model insights.
You definitely have a unique way of connecting the dots.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
ORLY!?!, you should start a blog.
First financial planning, now business model insights.
You definitely have a unique way of connecting the dots.

Heh, as I sit in the car listening to the radio and smoking my corncob pipe, my mind wonders quite intensely about the aspects here at UPS. Most often they are upon the negative side of the job and ways to cure them. I would become a soup, but 99% of them are dead to the world and have no souls. You speak to people like human beings, not treat them all out like mules.

I could on and on about this cardboard factory, and yes connecting the dots, sure feels that way. One would have to ask, why hasnt this company seen financial melt done yet?

I also plan on writting a book about my experiences here. So much has happened already here! I cant wait to see whats next. The public should know too, that the majority of the stories told out there are fictitious or overly elaborated. That it is bad, but Americans are just lazy and feel they're intitled to much if not everything out there. Wish UPS would see it that way, that hard workers today are hard to come by, they should seek out to keep them around instead of chasing them away, or upsetting them over and over again.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Heh, as I sit in the car listening to the radio and smoking my corncob pipe, my mind wonders quite intensely about the aspects here at UPS. Most often they are upon the negative side of the job and ways to cure them. I would become a soup, but 99% of them are dead to the world and have no souls. You speak to people like human beings, not treat them all out like mules.

I could on and on about this cardboard factory, and yes [/b]connecting the dots[/b], sure feels that way. One would have to ask, why hasnt this company seen financial melt done yet?

I also plan on writting a book about my experiences here. So much has happened already here! I cant wait to see whats next. The public should know too, that the majority of the stories told out there are fictitious or overly elaborated. That it is bad, but Americans are just lazy and feel they're intitled to much if not everything out there. Wish UPS would see it that way, that hard workers today are hard to come by, they should seek out to keep them around instead of chasing them away, or upsetting them over and over again.

I now play connect the dots on why you're a terrible poster! lol
Is there anything legal in that pipe we should know about?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
They could do away with Sat Deliveries and still would be lossing money. The problem is the goverment runs it. Everything the goverment is in charge of losses money they even destroyed Social Security by stealing from it to pay for other things that they couldn't afford to start with.

My favorite example on how bad the government deals with a budget has to be about the capital buildings cafeteria. They Budget out a million dollars a year for food and workers. Yet they always never make it and over budget just for food services. Yet the example is government cant even operate an eatery let alone something as complex as mail services.

Nimnim

The Nim

I could on and on about this cardboard factory, and yes connecting the dots, sure feels that way. One would have to ask, why hasnt this company seen financial melt done yet?

I now play connect the dots on why you're a terrible poster! lol
Is there anything legal in that pipe we should know about?

I wouldn't say terrible poster, but if a book is in the works a good proofreader and editor would be in order.

Nimnim

The Nim
Oh contrar I think orly is one of the great minds of the 21st century.

Ps I don't know if this is how you spell contrar let me know
Orly.

Au contraire. Now let's lay off Stinky.
d5f02ecd.gif

beentheredonethat

Orly my dad was a mailman. The USPS didn't deliver Saturday by having people work OT. They had 6 drivers covering 5 routes. On route 1 the route 1 driver delivered Tue-Sat, For route 2, the route 2 driver worked Mon, then Wed-Sat. For route 3, the route driver worked Mon,Tue, Thu-Sat etc. The last driver who was the cover driver delivered route 1 on Monday, Route 2 on Tuesday, Route 3 on Wed etc. In this way working a 6th day wasn't needed.

However, I do agree with most posters in that Sat delivery s/b eliminated to save money.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Orly my dad was a mailman. The USPS didn't deliver Saturday by having people work OT. They had 6 drivers covering 5 routes. On route 1 the route 1 driver delivered Tue-Sat, For route 2, the route 2 driver worked Mon, then Wed-Sat. For route 3, the route driver worked Mon,Tue, Thu-Sat etc. The last driver who was the cover driver delivered route 1 on Monday, Route 2 on Tuesday, Route 3 on Wed etc. In this way working a 6th day wasn't needed.

However, I do agree with most posters in that Sat delivery s/b eliminated to save money.

Damn it!!!
There goes the blog.
Suddenly the dots are unconnected.
Not only is the business model shot, now I may have to rethink my retirement strategy.

bluehdmc

My town of 50K people has 5 individual post offices, all with the same zip code. Two are sorting facilities, the other 2 are store fronts and 1 is an individual building. 2 are probably less than a mile from my condo, (in different directions), but when I have to get my mail stopped or pickup something I have to go to one of the sorting facilities about 3 miles away. I was confused the first time I had to pickup a certified letter. Other than the convienence of picking up stamps or for the PO boxes I think they could at least close the storefront facilities. Although the way government or quasi-government works they'll probably close some small town Post Offices in the boondocks and make those people drive an extra twenty miles.
The mailman who covered my route was taking a transfer, they were eliminating 14 routes out of his building. It was kinda his choice but he's going to be traveling almost an hour drive for his new route.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

I dont know too much how they work it. But I do see the same guy, 6 days a week, working threw the week. It couldve been different back then, but today it isnt the same. I also see the same person working the mail box down the road 6 days a week. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying what I've seen during the weeks. It could be different there, but here in Orlando it seems to be different to your whereabouts.

It could be that way over the majority of the country as well. Big cities vs. small town and city.

Here at UPS, they work the drivers 5 days a week nonstop. Weekends are given to a different work force. I think usps is on its way to making similar changes.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I wouldn't say terrible poster, but if a book is in the works a good proofreader and editor would be in order.

Hey I dont see much wrong other then writting free hand away from grammar. I've been dying to write something as complex as Moby Dick. But somthing isnt right today. I dont know what it is really. Something comming down the pike, I believe.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My town of 50K people has 5 individual post offices, all with the same zip code. Two are sorting facilities, the other 2 are store fronts and 1 is an individual building. 2 are probably less than a mile from my condo, (in different directions), but when I have to get my mail stopped or pickup something I have to go to one of the sorting facilities about 3 miles away. I was confused the first time I had to pickup a certified letter. Other than the convienence of picking up stamps or for the PO boxes I think they could at least close the storefront facilities. Although the way government or quasi-government works they'll probably close some small town Post Offices in the boondocks and make those people drive an extra twenty miles.
The mailman who covered my route was taking a transfer, they were eliminating 14 routes out of his building. It was kinda his choice but he's going to be traveling almost an hour drive for his new route.
I am in those boondocks and I have a post office 2 miles away, yet, my mail comes from the post office 13 miles away. They deliver(for free) to my house, thank God. I would have to change my address if I wanted to rent a box at the closer one. Pay for the closer one, free from the farther one. Thats the government.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
They could do away with Sat Deliveries and still would be lossing money. The problem is the goverment runs it. Everything the goverment is in charge of losses money they even destroyed Social Security by stealing from it to pay for other things that they couldn't afford to start with.

UPSGUY,

its too bad you obviously dont understand what the problem really is.

You said "The problem is the goverment runs it. "

The problem with this statement is, ITS NOT TRUE. The postal service is run by a board of directors, with an appointed Postmaster General. They run the mail service like a corporation and must seek congressional approval to ANY changes they want to make.

The goverment has NO day to day obligations with respect to the postal service.

The issue for the postal service is a simple one. First class postage revenue is declining each year in the billions of dollars. Their parcel sector has always lost money and has been subsidized by the first class sector for decades. Advertising dollars (advo) is shrinking as well. The postal service never took time to look forward and see the handwriting on the wall. Technology was going to put them out of business.

Online billing and online paying is crushing the postal service. There is no turning back the clock on the business model. No matter what cuts the board of directors make in the future, the fate of the postal service as you know it is bound to fail.

The postal service for decades felt as if they had a monopoly on paper communications and never took the time to analyze the impact of electronic communications.

Only on FOX news will you see anyone claim that the postal service is run by the government, so repeating this claim only makes you look foolish.

The cost of the postage stamp can only go so high before it becomes obsolete. Every person in america has a point where they say the cost of a stamp is too high.

For me, that cost was 40 cents. Now, I only pay online for bills and the like. I havent purchased a stamp in over a year.

There is nothing the postal service can offer me to return to their service and each and everyday, customers are making the same decisions.

As long as the postal service cannot raise revenues through services, and relies on cuts to stay alive, it will die a slow death.

UPSGUY, understanding the real workings of the postal service will spare you the embarrassment of sounding like you just fell off the turnip truck.

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The only way to save the "mail" service, is unfortunately, privatizing it. If the government reduced the postal service role to only transporting from one location to another and then to the sorting centers for delivery by private businesses, then it could survive on the revenue it generated.

The private businesses would then use non-skilled workers hired on as "independent contractors" for delivery at a much cheaper rate of pay without the benefit packages.

These private businesses would then contract with the postal service for each city and make money by saving money.

The effect would be to eliminate the high cost of the current business model postal worker and replace him with a high turnover lower paying job.

I know, this would suck for union workers in the postal service, but if the mail is to survive in the future in some capacity, the business model has to change.

This year alone, the postal service is projected to lose 16 billion dollars and we are only in the first month of the year. Cutting out saturdays would be like catching a raindrop in a rainstorm.

Lets face it, technology killed the business model of the postal service. Now the real question is, once it dies, how will it fund the pensions of all the existing postal workers currently working when there will be no new employees paying into the pension fund?

Another crisis in the making.

Peace.