USPS set to close 2,000 branches.

bluehdmc

The USPS is mandated to "break even". How would your business thrive if breaking even was the accepted performance?

Wouldn't that be the definition of "non-profit (or not for profit) business".

and besides, just look through your mail... What has the mail man delivered to you lately that couldn't be delivered online

Online bill delivery , (going green?? is what your creditors tell you, but they also want to save the postage costs) is one of the things that's hurting the postal service. That's you "instant" world for you.

Walked into the post office this morning.......looking for the $14.95 large shipping box. All 3 displays in the foyer were empty of the med-large boxes. You'd think when the emplyees open up or the manager would check that the supplies are sufficient for the customers. People look at you when you ask for the boxes like "it's not in my job description".

And don't tell me to use UPS......when UPS can ship 8-10 pounds to Hawaii for $14.95 instead of over $40, then I'll change.

First you say the post office shouldn't "break even". What would you say if the post office wanted to charge you $35 to ship to Hawaii?

bluehdmc

We pay for our own healthcare.....$1577.oo a month.
If USPS goes out of business so be it, but until then I can take the extra $30 it would cost me to ship (ups or FDX) to Hawaii and put it in the kid's b-day card! Unlike the Obama administration, we watch the pennies and nickels.

You pay for you own health care??? or Contibute?? $1600 a month sounds cheap for a couple in retirement age for the benefit package UPS provides.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You pay for you own health care??? or Contibute?? $1600 a month sounds cheap for a couple in retirement age for the benefit package UPS provides.
We don't have UPS ins....we have private health ins. a PPO.
After 28 years at UPS he left in 2000.....didn't retire, left.

browndevil

The reason USPS charges you 14 bucks to ship and NOT make a profit is because they are undercharging. We as taxpayers are subsidizing. Do us all UPSers a favor and only ship UPS. I do

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The reason USPS charges you 14 bucks to ship and NOT make a profit is because they are undercharging. We as taxpayers are subsidizing. Do us all UPSers a favor and only ship UPS. I do

If it were a couple of bucks I would agree with you but when the difference is $30 my loyalty goes out the window. As more said, I would sooner take the $30 and put in a card than give it to UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Hawaii is the worse case scenario (as well as Alaska).

UPS is at a disadvantage until 12 pounds or higher in the lower 48. International always goes USPS.
She ships 30-40 packages a week and it is usually 3 pounds or less so it pretty much all goes via the USPS. She also likes the personal touch at the USPS center.
She is running a business not a charity so she has to make business decisions.
I use UPS as much as I can personally and specify UPS as long as it is close in price.
I just ordered something from CA and UPS was $6.50 more than the USPS. It got here in 3 days via the USPS than UPS's 6 days and was cheaper ... not a good situation.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I use UPS for everything else I ship......just not Hawaii!!

klein

Für Meno :)
I just sold a digital video camera, and forgot to give the guy the HDMI cable hook-up, so I sent it via Canada Post yesterday, at a charge at over $8.00 for the envelope !

I told the post office, no wonder Canada Post makes money compared to the US Post office !
What a rip off !
They actually have a mail box tablet, and size it, if it fits thru a regular mail box slot,,,, my envelope was about 1 tenth of an inch larger (thicker), and got charged for parcel instead of envelope !

Oh well, went for a good cause :)

Btw, it was local, (from the north side of city to the downtown area).

Southwestern

Older posting, but it's worth pointing out that the USPS currently is not subsidized by taxpayers.

The USPS believes its services are underpriced, and wants restrictions on rate hikes (currently limited to inflation) lifted. I sense a possible future surge in UPS business...

ptgard20

we had a pcm this morning saying that our basic post office service will be called surepost. apparently this change will allow us to win some new business bids. all smalls delivered to the post office will be in bags needing only to scan the bag. that's all they told us other than it'll be starting in march.

My center is already doing this and has been for a little while. Anybody else already doing it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Older posting, but it's worth pointing out that the USPS currently is not subsidized by taxpayers.

The USPS believes its services are underpriced, and wants restrictions on rate hikes (currently limited to inflation) lifted. I sense a possible future surge in UPS business...

Technically, you are correct.
Any losses (negative operating costs) are covered by "loans" from the US Government.
It feels the same.

ups1990

Even if the price for first class mail surged to one dollar, in my opinion it's still a bargain. I can already hear Liberals say how much this would affect the poor in 5,4,3,2,1

bbsam

Staff member
Even if the price for first class mail surged to one dollar, in my opinion it's still a bargain. I can already hear Liberals say how much this would affect the poor in 5,4,3,2,1
I can hear conservatives decry such a move as a tax increase.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The previous was suppose to be a story about a buyout of postal workers. It got all messed up and I couldn't delete it....sorry.

beentheredonethat

What's your definition of subsidized? If UPS didn't have to pay property tax on all of our buildings, wouldn't people scream that they are being subsidized? If UPS didn't have to pay any parking tickets in the city, wouldn't people scream that they are being subsidized? If UPS didn't have to pay any taxes on profits they made, wouldn't people scream that they are being subsidized?
Well, the USPS has all of these advantages and more. They don't pay property tax, they don't pay income taxes, they don't get parking tickets by the police. (I'm talking common parking tickets). So just that alone is millions upon millions of subsidies. Add on top of that, when they need to they can borrow at very favorable interest rates that they wouldn't qualify for if they were a typical business.