Vacation bid

fkufreddy

Wanted to get some opinions on how to handle my situation.i was approached by my manager Friday about my vacation bid that I did back in March.i have 3 weeks and split one week into single days, which happened to be all mondays. They are now telling me that they made a mistake and I need 10 years to split up one week per FedEx policy and are now telling me I have to take a week and forfeit my single days that I bid. I have already talked to my dingbat hr rep who agreed with management. I said if I have to give up my days I would like the bid done over from square one because now everyone above me has bid and I dont know what weeks I may or may not have got. Aslo my manager had made a threat to another courier who is a friend of mine about being mad at me for calling hr and that now he will be looking for something to write e up (Airbuds in not wearing FedEx shirt under my vest ect) my route is right outside the station. Wondering how I should handle this without getting targeted by these :censored2:s.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Wanted to get some opinions on how to handle my situation.i was approached by my manager Friday about my vacation bid that I did back in March.i have 3 weeks and split one week into single days, which happened to be all mondays. They are now telling me that they made a mistake and I need 10 years to split up one week per FedEx policy and are now telling me I have to take a week and forfeit my single days that I bid. I have already talked to my dingbat hr rep who agreed with management. I said if I have to give up my days I would like the bid done over from square one because now everyone above me has bid and I dont know what weeks I may or may not have got. Aslo my manager had made a threat to another courier who is a friend of mine about being mad at me for calling hr and that now he will be looking for something to write e up (Airbuds in not wearing FedEx shirt under my vest ect) my route is right outside the station. Wondering how I should handle this without getting targeted by these :censored2:s.
Try calling your HR rep’s boss. That’s what we do in my station. No one will deal with our useless HR rep.

Nolimitz

You were not eligible for a split week. Someone screwed up and let you bid it?? not sure how that happened?

But Im going to pick my battles carefully, I don't mind being a target over something I feel strongly about. Would this raise to that? Not sure. were there other decent weeks available?. just saying sometimes it's better to put the shovel down.

Purplepackage

You were not eligible for a split week. Someone screwed up and let you bid it?? not sure how that happened?

But Im going to pick my battles carefully, I don't mind being a target over something I feel strongly about. Would this raise to that? Not sure. were there other decent weeks available?. just saying sometimes it's better to put the shovel down.

Not being eligible for a split week is really up to station management.

We have 5 year guys here taking that 3rd week in single days

fkufreddy

This was part of the vacation packet

QUOTE="Nolimitz, post: 4061971, member: 43941"]You were not eligible for a split week. Someone screwed up and let you bid it?? not sure how that happened?

But Im going to pick my battles carefully, I don't mind being a target over something I feel strongly about. Would this raise to that? Not sure. were there other decent weeks available?. just saying sometimes it's better to put the shovel down.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190512-112438_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20190512-112438_Messages.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 264

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This was part of the vacation packet

QUOTE="Nolimitz, post: 4061971, member: 43941"]You were not eligible for a split week. Someone screwed up and let you bid it?? not sure how that happened?

[/QUOTE]
Hmm. That changes things. If they put it in writing they may have to give it to whether they want to or not. There must be others in your station who were at three weeks and scheduled individual days.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
[QUOTE="fkufreddy, post: 4061900, member: 62456 Aslo my manager had made a threat to another courier who is a friend of mine about being mad at me for calling hr and that now he will be looking for something to write e [/QUOTE]
If your friend will back you up, you also have a case for harassment and retaliation, which could cost your manager their job.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You have it in writing. GFT that :censored2:.

I agree he should pursue it (and will likely have it come out in his favor), but PBP states that you need 10 years of continuous service to break up vacation weeks and he doesn't have it. If someone who qualifies for some of that time and can't get it because the OP was wrongly allowed to split it up, it should go to the person who is rightfully qualified.

turq

What week would you take instead of the days? Is it available? If not, does somebody with less seniority have it? Take it one step at a time....and if it was me I would try and be reasonable. At UPS it is 10 years, but we put it for it just like we do personal days. So not at the same time we put in our vacation weeks.

floridays

I agree he should pursue it (and will likely have it come out in his favor), but PBP states that you need 10 years of continuous service to break up vacation weeks and he doesn't have it. If someone who qualifies for some of that time and can't get it because the OP was wrongly allowed to split it up, it should go to the person who is rightfully qualified.
Respectfully disagree.
There are different vacation bidding options offered company wide?
Yes or no
Vacation bids are are required during a specified period of time, directed by the company.
Yes or no
Vacation bids are made by seniority as to how many weeks can be bid in a certain round.
Yes or no
During rounds full weeks are deleted when the maximum days off are met.
Yes or no

What is the major policy directing staffing? Operational needs?
Yes or no
In certain locations might it be possible operational needs for staffing are better met by allowing an employee to break up weeks.
Yes or no
Did this vacation policy (he supplied) have to be approved by senior manager and his superiors?
Yes or no

The guy will be slick and no one will displace him if he is firm in his position There will be to many superiors to answer to if he is denied.
You're a manager?

59 Dano

Respectfully disagree.
There are different vacation bidding options offered company wide?
Yes or no
Vacation bids are are required during a specified period of time, directed by the company.
Yes or no
Vacation bids are made by seniority as to how many weeks can be bid in a certain round.
Yes or no
During rounds full weeks are deleted when the maximum days off are met.
Yes or no

What is the major policy directing staffing? Operational needs?
Yes or no
In certain locations might it be possible operational needs for staffing are better met by allowing an employee to break up weeks.
Yes or no
Did this vacation policy (he supplied) have to be approved by senior manager and his superiors?
Yes or no

The guy will be slick and no one will displace him if he is firm in his position There will be to many superiors to answer to if he is denied.
You're a manager?

If I want something that PBP or PM says he is not allowed to have, then I'm going to push it. I said above that the OP will probably get those days (they've already approved his bid and they're all single days), but the company is in no way obligated to let him have them other that it would look bad otherwise.

floridays

If I want something that PBP or PM says he is not allowed to have, then I'm going to push it. I said above that the OP will probably get those days (they've already approved his bid and they're all single days), but the company is in no way obligated to let him have them other that it would look bad otherwise.
I'll disagree once agree again.
They are.
The company allows for derivations of policy and this particular derivation did not come without executive approval, or some people quite possibly be unemployed determined by exactly this works out.
The best response to the courier making the claim is for station management to stand down and allow the results of the approved bid policy to stand.
Are we agreed on my last statement?

Would you answer my question in the format it was offered?
I can understand how you may have believed the questions were rhetorical, they weren't however.
Please start with my final question and proceed.

You're good, yet not as good as you think.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
They are.
The company allows for derivations of policy and this particular derivation did not come without executive approval, or some people quite possibly be unemployed determined by exactly this works out.
The best response to the courier making the claim is for station management to stand down and allow the results of the approved bid policy to stand.

I can understand how you may have believed the questions were rhetorical, they weren't however.

If management, you're asking for something he's either incapable of, or trained to avoid.

A direct answer that he can be held accountable for.

59 Dano

They are.

You're playing dumb station lawyer games.

If management, you're asking for something he's either incapable of, or trained to avoid.

A direct answer that he can be held accountable for.

He asks a million questions, stitches together whatever he gets in whatever way he chooses to interpret it, ignores whatever isn't useful to him, in some dumb attempt at "gotcha."

The policy is clearly stated and available for all to see in PBP. Why you insist on arguing about it here is beyond me. The OP presented an issue, I offered the policy on that issue and speculated as to what would happen. Any issue you have beyond that is your problem, not mine.

floridays

You're playing dumb station lawyer games.

He asks a million questions, stitches together whatever he gets in whatever way he chooses to interpret it, ignores whatever isn't useful to him, in some dumb attempt at "gotcha."

The policy is clearly stated and available for all to see in PBP. Why you insist on arguing about it here is beyond me. The OP presented an issue, I offered the policy on that issue and speculated as to what would happen. Any issue you have beyond that is your problem, not mine.
Are you a manager?
Why was policy, "clearly stated," as you say, deviated from?
I'm not a "station lawyer" and in this realm I'm clearly more educated than you in law.
Will you respond to my original post, question by question?

59 Dano

Are you a manager?
Why was policy, "clearly stated," as you say, deviated from?
I'm not a "station lawyer" and in this realm I'm clearly more educated than you in law.
Will you respond to my original post, question by question?

You're struggling with a basic policy that's written in clear, simple English. I don't think that you're more educated than me in anything because I don't think you're educated, period.

floridays

You're struggling with a basic policy that's written in clear, simple English. I don't think that you're more educated than me in anything because I don't think you're educated, period.
You've been reduced to personal attack.
All I did was ask simple yes or no questions which you refuse to answer.
I understand policy written, and I understand condoned variances of policy.
I have no obligation to prove my education. We can agree, a supposed uneducated rube worked you in a corner you can't fight your way out of.
I offered the best alternative to satisfy the problem, you are too proud to agree.
Are you a manager? Easy enough to answer without deflection.