Vacation Biding

At our station swing drivers bid with everyone, at my friends station the swing drivers bid separately. But only allow 1 swing off at a time. They have about 7 swing drivers. My station has 12 but we have to bid with the regular couriers. Just getting a sense of what it's like in your area for swing drivers. How do you guys/girls bid?

AMJ1981

Swings bid with regulars here. Are CAs allowed to bid with couries? Or should they bid seperate since they cant go on road and only a handful of couriers know how to work the front counter

overflowed

At our station swing drivers bid with everyone, at my friends station the swing drivers bid separately. But only allow 1 swing off at a time. They have about 7 swing drivers. My station has 12 but we have to bid with the regular couriers. Just getting a sense of what it's like in your area for swing drivers. How do you guys/girls bid?

The stations that bid swings alone have had swing retention issues. A bribe basically to stop them from bailing. Once one starts usually others hop the train. If that was the case the station would be in a world of trouble if lets say they lost 6 experienced swings in say 3 or 4 months.

DontThrowPackages

Swings bid with regulars here. Are CAs allowed to bid with couries? Or should they bid seperate since they cant go on road and only a handful of couriers know how to work the front counter
Managers(or maybe it came from the top) have become creative and are starting to allow CAs to bid with drivers. I believe this is nothing more than an artificial plan to keep the amount of drivers off per day down by allowing employees, that can even read a map, bid with drivers. Its what I thought the first day I heard of it. The same way I felt when they implemented calling in sick, just once in the year, would have a devastating effect on the job review. Cause me to think, AH, this is a plan to curtail raises.

Ricochet1a

The annual vacation bidding process does offer the chance to gather some VITAL information about the typical Express Courier (which would determine if Express has a snowball's chance in hell of organizing). Express already has this information as part of their employee demographic information - if a serious attempt at organizing is to be done, the organizers will need to know the 'lay of the land' prior to really getting into the process...

Here's the logic...

Most Couriers with between 2 and 10 years in almost always want to sign a union card if given the opportunity (all from my first hand experience while I was a Courier). Those with over 20 years will almost NEVER sign a card if offered and are openly hostile to the concept. Those with 10-15 years in want the extra compensation being a union member would offer, but are very hesitant to sign a card without some list of 'guarantees' being met prior. Those with 15-20 years in are generally against, but if they are ticked off enough, are willing.

What is needed is an idea of what the median 'time in' is for Express Couriers.

With the vacation bidding listings out, this info can be gathered on a station level basis quite easily.

Look at the vacation bidding sheet. Look at the total number of Couriers listed. Divide that number by 2, then look for that Courier's date of hire.

Example: Your station has 48 Couriers bidding for vacation. Divide 48 by 2 to get '24'. Look down the roster to the 24th Courier, and note their date of hire. That's it. It is called the statistical median, and is useful in generating information as to where the 'dividing line' is between the top and bottom half of a population (in this case, the 'population' of station Couriers).

If my 'hypothesis' is correct, if the median Express Courier has 10 or less years in (hire date 2003 or later), then Express Couriers have a DAMN GOOD CHANCE of pulling off organizing if they get to work NOW. If the median Express Courier has 13 or more years in (median hire date 2000 or earlier), then the odds are slim (in my opinion).

What would be needed is as many posters here to report this information in. DO NOT GIVE STATION ID. Just give the median date of hire for the station you work at and leave it at that. If you want, give the REGION you are in, but nothing lower down (no info as to what district you are in).

There aren't enough posters here among all the Express stations to give a really hyper-accurate statistic, but there should be enough to give a decent idea (large statistical margin of error).

If you guys and gals are serious about organizing, this is part of the process, gathering the information about the group you wish to organize and making a determination as to whether or not it is actually possible - or just wishful thinking on your part.

The more that submit the median date of hire for their station the better, but at least 20 would be needed to have any sort of 'confidence' in that the data is applicable to the US as a whole (RLA is nationwide, not location by location).

thedownhillEXPRESS

The annual vacation bidding process does offer the chance to gather some VITAL information about the typical Express Courier (which would determine if Express has a snowball's chance in hell of organizing). Express already has this information as part of their employee demographic information - if a serious attempt at organizing is to be done, the organizers will need to know the 'lay of the land' prior to really getting into the process...

Here's the logic...

Most Couriers with between 2 and 10 years in almost always want to sign a union card if given the opportunity (all from my first hand experience while I was a Courier). Those with over 20 years will almost NEVER sign a card if offered and are openly hostile to the concept. Those with 10-15 years in want the extra compensation being a union member would offer, but are very hesitant to sign a card without some list of 'guarantees' being met prior. Those with 15-20 years in are generally against, but if they are ticked off enough, are willing.

What is needed is an idea of what the median 'time in' is for Express Couriers.

With the vacation bidding listings out, this info can be gathered on a station level basis quite easily.

Look at the vacation bidding sheet. Look at the total number of Couriers listed. Divide that number by 2, then look for that Courier's date of hire.

Example: Your station has 48 Couriers bidding for vacation. Divide 48 by 2 to get '24'. Look down the roster to the 24th Courier, and note their date of hire. That's it. It is called the statistical median, and is useful in generating information as to where the 'dividing line' is between the top and bottom half of a population (in this case, the 'population' of station Couriers).

If my 'hypothesis' is correct, if the median Express Courier has 10 or less years in (hire date 2003 or later), then Express Couriers have a DAMN GOOD CHANCE of pulling off organizing if they get to work NOW. If the median Express Courier has 13 or more years in (median hire date 2000 or earlier), then the odds are slim (in my opinion).

What would be needed is as many posters here to report this information in. DO NOT GIVE STATION ID. Just give the median date of hire for the station you work at and leave it at that. If you want, give the REGION you are in, but nothing lower down (no info as to what district you are in).

There aren't enough posters here among all the Express stations to give a really hyper-accurate statistic, but there should be enough to give a decent idea (large statistical margin of error).

If you guys and gals are serious about organizing, this is part of the process, gathering the information about the group you wish to organize and making a determination as to whether or not it is actually possible - or just wishful thinking on your part.

The more that submit the median date of hire for their station the better, but at least 20 would be needed to have any sort of 'confidence' in that the data is applicable to the US as a whole (RLA is nationwide, not location by location).

Thats why I see us winning by playing the long game.

The young and newer employee sees themselves as subsidizing the senior employee for things they will never have.

Its probably one reason they are not offering buyouts to senior couriers.

As the median years of service continue to drop, so will those opposed to signing union cards.

Get those cards signed and send them in people, its a collective long term plan.

thedownhillEXPRESS

And its not like those that will be moving up the ranks in seniority feel any sense of loyalty to the company.
They are the ones who have never topped out,lost their pensions and seen the way the company treats us.

thedownhillEXPRESS

this might be cheaper. Announce slightly quicker top out, throw in a small 2.5% raise and take the wind out of the organizer's sail.

They tried the "slightly quicker topout" last year.

Then postponed it this year.

I think they are just as confused at what they have created as UPS and The IBT..

Ricochet1a

this might be cheaper. Announce slightly quicker top out, throw in a small 2.5% raise and take the wind out of the organizer's sail.

The problem is there no longer is any top out time - that went away in 2009. NO ONE can state when or if they'll ever top out, since Express choose to eliminate the last vestiges of their "pay progression system" back in 2009. Anyone who is isn't at 80%+ or so of progression right now, will NEVER top out for as long as they are with Express. Any who believe to the contrary are so drunk on the purple Kool-Aid, that they are beyond hope.