Vacation in December?

After 30 years, I'm planning to retire Nov. 30. I have 8 vacation weeks available and planned to use them during Dec. and Jan. to complete my 30 years of safe driving. It was approved by center manager and DM; however, the RM denied the plan. At least three drivers in this state received permission to retire and use vacation in Dec.

I'm now in the process of filing a grievance with the Union, who consider this total **. To help bolster my case, I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've only ever heard of guys using their last 6-8 weeks before November started. So they were pretty much done at the end of August with Sept. and Oct. off so that they didn't affect peak.

rod

Retired 22 years
After 30 years, I'm planning to retire Nov. 30. I have 8 vacation weeks available and planned to use them during Dec. and Jan. to complete my 30 years of safe driving. It was approved by center manager and DM; however, the RM denied the plan. At least three drivers in this state received permission to retire and use vacation in Dec.

I'm now in the process of filing a grievance with the Union, who consider this total **. To help bolster my case, I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience. Thanks for your help.
They just NEVER give up do they? Screw with ya to the last day. My center manager told me on my final day that he didn't want me dragging my feet and bullsh-ting with my customers all day long. I've always wondered how people like this can be turned into such a miserable example of a human being.

Just Lurking

They just NEVER give up do they? Screw with ya to the last day. My center manager told me on my final day that he didn't want me dragging my feet and bullsh-ting with my customers all day long. I've always wondered how people like this can be turned into such a miserable example of a human being.

Don' tell them its your last day. Request 8 hour day. Enjoy your 12 hour day. Its not like they will terminate for performance. :cool:

DS

Fenderbender

This is just mean,I suggest you drag your ass and make as much as you can through your last peak...

hoser

Industrial Slob
the cdn collective agreement says that no vacation can be taken between the last week of november and 26 december. so, i don't know if there's much to grieve, based on this contract example.

retired2000

work through peak like they want you to. then tak eyour vacation starting the day after christmas. this will take you into the next year. i understand that if you ge tpaid one day in the new year you are intitled to a whole new year of vacation and sick time. i would check it out.

yeldarb

In my district, vacation isnt a new calendar year reset. It is your anniversary/hire date reset. Option days are the contract anniversary. (aug 1). January 1st as far as I know does not reset anything that I am aware of.

over9five

Staff member
Thanks for your 30 years, Packagestud.

(Now bend over so we can give it to you one more time)

Makes ya proud to be an employee, doesn't it?

Yes, I could cash out my vacation money in October or November, however I want to reach my 30 year safe driving day in the middle of Jan. As much as this company stresses safety I thought they could cut me a little slack. Also, as stated in the opening statement drivers in my state and even in my own center have been allowed to use their vacation during peak.

over9five

Staff member
Why do you want to make your 30 year safe driving date? You're retiring, why would you care?

I'm not being sarcastic, serious question. The company you're trying to get 30 years safe driving with has just stabbed you in the heart. Give them the finger on your way out the door.

rod

Retired 22 years
A very wise older retired UPS friend of mine told me when I was getting ready to retire that there is always another carrot at the end of the stick. Meaning that if you stay another 6 months you qualify for more vacation or maybe in 3 more months you get another 2 personal holdays. Who knows- maybe if you work 6 more weeks you can get another cheap billfold or hang in there until Christmas because heaven forbid you don't get your turkey.The bottom line is GET OUT as soon as you qualify. I guarantee you won't regret it.

disneyworld

Yes, I could cash out my vacation money in October or November, however I want to reach my 30 year safe driving day in the middle of Jan. As much as this company stresses safety I thought they could cut me a little slack. Also, as stated in the opening statement drivers in my state and even in my own center have been allowed to use their vacation during peak.
30 yrs safe driving? Why-are they giving you some power tools or something?

p1000

Free at Last
My last day is also Christmas Eve. I am just bidding my vacation days in January and February. I will use my Personal and Sick days the 1st 2 weeks of January. 31 years and counting ever last day till I am out.

upsgrunt

It seems to be the general rule around here that retirees also have to file grievances to get their earned vacation time for the year following their retirement. Does this happen anywhere else?

over9five

Staff member
"...that retirees also have to file grievances to get their earned vacation time for the year following their retirement."

Thats just UPS givin' ya that last kick in the a** on your way out the door.

<Thanks for all them years of service>

Why do you want to make your 30 year safe driving date? You're retiring, why would you care?

I'm not being sarcastic, serious question. The company you're trying to get 30 years safe driving with has just stabbed you in the heart. Give them the finger on your way out the door.
That is a good question. I guess this would just be something positive to take into retirement. Besides memories of my fellow co-workers and customers what else is there? Just look at this forum it is filled with anger and bitterness.
Thanks for the reply