Vacation Pay Retirement?

Rain Shield

HR has been vague. Will all vacations be paid if retire under the Southern Supplement if an employee retires with 156 plus reports this year at retirement date?

Let's say I retire in November with 156 plus reports. Will I be paid for vacation earned for next year, or do I have to be on the payroll on 1/1/16?

Not true. At least not here.
Maybe to get your option week.
We have to work until October to get full credit for next year's vacation. I'm not sure about the personal days. We get them in January. Sick days in May. I know you have to work one day in May to receive the sick days.

I'll have to ask one if the retired guys.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the way I understand it you will have earned your vacations for the following year if you work till September. if before that , in the west, and depending how many years of service , you earn 2 to 2 1/2 days per month worked for example. it's in your contract.

Southern is 156 reports in a year and it gets paid. You do lose your option week if you retire before January 1st. We just had 3 guys retire in November and they got all vacation for 2015 but not the option week pay.

Rain Shield

Southern is 156 reports in a year and it gets paid. You do lose your option week if you retire before January 1st. We just had 3 guys retire in November and they got all vacation for 2015 but not the option week pay.

Thanks. All HR has said in writing is that I will be paid for all vacation not taken. I asked specifically if I have to be on the payroll 1/1/16, and all I get back is that I will be paid for all unused vacation. All I needed was a yes or a no.

I know my supplement. With that said, it only says you are paid for unused vacation, so I expect to be paid the full 6 weeks and not the option week.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Thanks. All HR has said in writing is that I will be paid for all vacation not taken. I asked specifically if I have to be on the payroll 1/1/16, and all I get back is that I will be paid for all unused vacation. All I needed was a yes or a no.

I know my supplement. With that said, it only says you are paid for unused vacation, so I expect to be paid the full 6 weeks and not the option week.

Are your sick and personal days paid out?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No, an example of this is doing a sell back option which is in the Southern Supplement. Your 156 reports as all that's needed to get your full vacation for the next year, wether you plan on being here or not. Since you mentioned you'll be leaving in November, remember that sell back is done in Sept.

Article 61
(E) Any such regular employee with more than one (1) year of service who resigns or who services are terminated shall receive pay for all vacation time earned and not taken as provided in paragraph (B) above.

Paragraph G
In lieu of time off, employees, at their discretion, may take the pay for said weeks. However, the employee must notify the Employer during September of each year of this request.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have to work until October to get full credit for next year's vacation. I'm not sure about the personal days. We get them in January. Sick days in May. I know you have to work one day in May to receive the sick days.

I'll have to ask one if the retired guys.
Some of us might not have enough hours by October....