vacation sell back????

22.34life

I have never sold back any vacation time but decided to sell back two weeks this year.when i asked my manager when the payouts would be of course had no idea.on the option form you fill out it only asks you to circle the number of weeks you would like to sell back not when to get payed out.my full time sup said he thought that it would be the first paycheck of 2014 which was wrong also.anybody know when you get the sellback?

PT Car Washer

I think in my local you are not allowed to sell back your vacations. But if the company is short handed that week, and you want to work a day or the whole week you can. I do it all the time. Think about the younger guys that could have had that week off but you took it instead. And now you are working it.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
You schedule it, then you can "buy it back" by working it if they still need you as long as no one is laid off. You go to bottom of senority to work a vaca

PT Car Washer

Only time I would work part of or the whole week of vacation is because they are really short. Mostly Saturday air just to pay my union dues and some beer money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

PT makes an excellent point----FT seniority drivers scheduling prime weeks for their vacations knowing full well they intend to work it thereby denying a less senior driver the chance to take that week to spend time with their family.

We can't sell back vacation (why would anyone do this?) and within the past 5 years are no longer allowed to work our vacations.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
l look forward to every vacation as a way for my body and mind to relax. We work a high pressure physically demanding job that requires time away just to get the mind right.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think in my local you are not allowed to sell back your vacations. But if the company is short handed that week, and you want to work a day or the whole week you can. I do it all the time. Think about the younger guys that could have had that week off but you took it instead. And now you are working it.

People who do that are low down dirty scum. In my center a few years ago a few of us lower seniority drivers had to take a stand against higher seniority drivers choosing weeks but then working instead of selling them back. You should have seen the uproar. They were like spoiled children losing their allowances. They had the mentality that they could do whatever they want and that we didn't have enough seniority to have a say in the matter. To this day some of them STILL can't comprehend that it's wrong per the contract. One just couldn't believe that he wasn't allowed to work the day after thanksgiving while he was on vacation.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Notretiredyet

In our area you schedule your payoff weeks when you pick your vacations, they are not counted against the number of people who get the week off. If you decide to work on a scheduled vacation week you are put at the bottom of the seniority list and work whatever area left after everyone else has picked, even if you have a bid area.

UPSGUY72

In my area when you choose you vacation picks options. There is an option that allows you to sell I believe its one week. Then it's ask when you want to paid and gives you a during you first vacation, or end of the year.

Overpaid Union Thug

In our area you schedule your payoff weeks when you pick your vacations, they are not counted against the number of people who get the week off. If you decide to work on a scheduled vacation week you are put at the bottom of the seniority list and work whatever area left after everyone else has picked, even if you have a bid area.

I wish we did that.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I just comprehend why anyone would want to work on there scheduled week off. And if the reason is needing money, maybe you should be taking that week off to go take a course in money management. No reason you should be short on money at $80k/yr.

Overpaid Union Thug

I just comprehend why anyone would want to work on there scheduled week off. And if the reason is needing money, maybe you should be taking that week off to go take a course in money management. No reason you should be short on money at $80k/yr.

Greed, greed, and more greed. And your statement is even truer when you consider that most of our center cleared $88k. Seven cleared $100k. I guess that's not enough. That's not even the issue for me though. If you don't want the week off then don't select it!!!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If someone out there is selling vacations I'd like to buy a few more.
My last employer offered that. We could buy one week of time off and that pay was deducted weekly over the course of the year and then we still got a pay check for the week.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Greed, greed, and more greed. And your statement is even truer when you consider that most of our center cleared $88k. Seven cleared $100k. I guess that's not enough. That's not even the issue for me though. If you don't want the week off then don't select it!!!

I managed to get by with "only" $68.5K, of which $12.5 went to my 401k.

FilingBluesFL

You're gonna hate me, but I sell back all my vacation every year.

One year I put it towards the 50% down payment on a car I wanted.

This past year, a co-workers father-in-law died, so I used that vacation money to help out his family... by buying the guns they were selling to help offset costs. lol

I only need one week off for the 12 Hours of Le Mans, and my option days that are "left over" that can't be bought out, I use for that.

I'll take the money, invest it, or put it towards savings every year. Now it's time to save money to buy a new house, so it's all going towards that fund this year.