vacation

Overpaid Union Thug

If he won't ask then I will. Why on earth do people schedule their week of vacation but work through it. Especially during the peak of vacation time. I just don't get it.
Just last week a guy had the week off but worked Mon, Tue, and Wed. I made the comment that if wasn't going to take the week off I wanted to change one of my weeks. That didn't go over to well.

I would have filed on it. That should never happen. Their greed or inability to manage their finances doesn't negate a contract. It used to be a regular occurrence in my center until some of us stood up and said enough is enough.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I wanted to work a couple days this winter when I had scedueled a 2 week vaca and my wife had to work the second week and my kids had school but they would not let me come in and work , although many others in my building were allwed to work there vaca's. It is a shady topic 4 shure

I wanted to work a couple days this winter when I had scedueled a 2 week vaca and my wife had to work the second week and my kids had school but they would not let me come in and work , although many others in my building were allwed to work there vaca's. It is a shady topic 4 shure
It took me 25 years (quarter century) to get my 6 weeks! Ive is friggin taking them!

Overpaid Union Thug

It's shady on many levels. Not being able to work during a scheduled vacation is the least of them. In the Southern Region you can sell back vacations but it must be done in September on this same form that is used to select option weeks. Anyone that is even remotely in danger of financial trouble should consider this option. Or maybe just handle their finances better? I do think that people should be able to work ONLY if there is a legitimate staffing issue (unforeseen) in the center.

PT Car Washer

Oh yes I have been asked to work some or all of my vacations every year. It all depends on the staffing level. My point is if your UPS management team allows it for one person they have to allow it for all. After all, how many Teamster workers want to work their vacation unless they have to. Maybe some of you hardcore guys don't remember what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Oh yes I have been asked to work some or all of my vacations every year. It all depends on the staffing level. My point is if your UPS management team allows it for one person they have to allow it for all. After all, how many Teamster workers want to work their vacation unless they have to. Maybe some of you hardcore guys don't remember what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck.
I've had money in the bank since I had a paper route. When you don't have enough, you work more.

Overpaid Union Thug

I remember. That's why I eventually found, and kept, a second job all the way up until the point I was driving enough to only need one job. That's the price most people pay for choosing to work for a company that requires the majority of it's career workers to spend years, sometimes over a decade, as part-timers before landing a full-time gig.

As far as full-timers go....I just don't understand how a full-time driver making $80k-$100K+ can let themselves get to the point where they need to work their vacations.

Indecisi0n

So you would rather have your Union brother filling bankruptcy then allowing him to work and pay his bills?
It's already been mentioned but If you are at top rate as a driver and need to work your vacation to get by you have serious issues handling money. I've seen it 1000 times where people live so far above their means then cry for help. Sorry no tears here.

PT Car Washer

I remember. That's why I eventually found, and kept, a second job all the way up until the point I was driving enough to only need one job. That's the price most people pay for choosing to work for a company that requires the majority of it's career workers to spend years, sometimes over a decade, as part-timers before landing a full-time gig.

As far as full-timers go....I just don't understand how a full-time driver making $80k-$100K+ can let themselves get to the point where they need to work their vacations.
You only had to work two jobs? I had 3 or 4 juggling plus a couple of little guys to watch. Not talking about you rich guys and your 7 weeks a year off. Talking about guys working your vacation to fix your car so you can keep your job.

PT Car Washer

It's already been mentioned but If you are at top rate as a driver and need to work your vacation to get by you have serious issues handling money. I've seen it 1000 times where people live so far above their means then cry for help. Sorry no tears here.
I have had seniority guys above me cut my throat so they could lose it all gambling while I was trying to feed my children.

Overpaid Union Thug

You only had to work two jobs? I had 3 or 4 juggling plus a couple of little guys to watch. Not talking about you rich guys and your 7 weeks a year off. Talking about guys working your vacation to fix your car so you can keep your job.

I would say "been there..done that" but like I said....I avoided that by working two jobs. Three including part-time in the Air Force. I refused to be a statistic. Sometimes I had another part-time job. Sometimes I had a full-time job. Either way I never needed to work a vacation. It's not about being rich. It's about personal responsibility.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Living beyond their means.
Have a couple kids , a house payment, 2 car payments, tuition payments , college loan payments , and don't try that living beyond means crap, try just trying to live. Life happens. No need to put someone down and tell them they don't know how to manage there finances

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Have a couple kids , a house payment, 2 car payments, tuition payments , college loan payments , and don't try that living beyond means crap, try just trying to live. Life happens. No need to put someone down and tell them they don't know how to manage there finances
If you can't afford 2 car payments then you are living above your means. Just sayin. Not you, just in general.

Indecisi0n

If you can't afford children don't have them.