vacation

PT Car Washer

I would say "been there..done that" but like I said....I avoided that by working two jobs. Three including part-time in the Air Force. I refused to be a statistic. Sometimes I had another part-time job. Sometimes I had a full-time job. Either way I never needed to work a vacation. It's not about being rich. It's about personal responsibility.
22 years Army National Guard. Always took vacation for AT plus went up on advance to draw equipment. Yeah, I know about personal responsibilities. Just my opinion.

Cementups

Box Monkey
@Johnnyfootball2014
I have a wife, 2 kids, 6 months left of car payments and money in the bank. Sure life happens but so does living beyond means. No one says you need that new $50k truck. Or the super big house. All of us drivers have the same job and make the same money. But it's how you handle that money that makes us different.

On top of my "bills" I also put aside 10% of every check to 401k and $50/week into a vacation fund and $50/week into a Christmas fund so that when the time comes around, that money is there. That's $2,600 in each of those accounts at the end of a 52 week period. So when the time comes and I need that money for those events.......it's already there. So planning is what separates us all

Overpaid Union Thug

Have a couple kids , a house payment, 2 car payments, tuition payments , college loan payments , and don't try that living beyond means crap, try just trying to live. Life happens. No need to put someone down and tell them they don't know how to manage there finances

Life is what you make of it man. Lots of people have been in your position. Including me. We all learn the hard way. Some of us decided that enough is enough. Some sooner than others.

PT Car Washer

I would say "been there..done that" but like I said....I avoided that by working two jobs. Three including part-time in the Air Force. I refused to be a statistic. Sometimes I had another part-time job. Sometimes I had a full-time job. Either way I never needed to work a vacation. It's not about being rich. It's about personal responsibility.
I have a nephew working FT in the Air National Guard. Multiple tours overseas. Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. I try to talk my boy into joining either the regular Air Force or Air National Guard because I know he does not like to work much.

PT Car Washer

@Johnnyfootball2014
I have a wife, 2 kids, 6 months left of car payments and money in the bank. Sure life happens but so does living beyond means. No one says you need that new $50k truck. Or the super big house. All of us drivers have the same job and make the same money. But it's how you handle that money that makes us different.

On top of my "bills" I also put aside 10% of every check to 401k and $50/week into a vacation fund and $50/week into a Christmas fund so that when the time comes around, that money is there. That's $2,600 in each of those accounts at the end of a 52 week period. So when the time comes and I need that money for those events.......it's already there. So planning is what separates us all
That is all? Might want to work on that saving program.

By The Book

If this driver has a hardship and its ok to do this, with language in the contract to allow it, then I say we cut this member some slack. I don't like people telling me how to spend my money and I'm not going to tell another member how to spend theirs. However I will try to let all members know of ways to be more financially secure.

PT Car Washer

If this driver has a hardship and its ok to do this, with language in the contract to allow it, then I say we cut this member some slack. I don't like people telling me how to spend my money and I'm not going to tell another member how to spend theirs. However I will try to let all members know of ways to be more financially secure.
End of story. I hope.

9.5er

I understand stuff happens. Sometimes a little extra cash would make things a little easier. In my center that "stuff" seems to happen every year to the same drivers. And it always seems to happen when the vacation list was full and the lower seniority drivers couldn't get that week on the bid sheet.
My point being, if you want to work through your vacation don't use up all the good weeks of the year just to come in to work.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
If you can't afford children don't have them.

If everyone waited till they could afford children, there would be no children.

You've none now, nor will you ever. Maybe you should stick to homoerotic sexual innuendo.'
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1404702334.879496.jpg

Sent using a Potato

PT Car Washer

I understand stuff happens. Sometimes a little extra cash would make things a little easier. In my center that "stuff" seems to happen every year to the same drivers. And it always seems to happen when the vacation list was full and the lower seniority drivers couldn't get that week on the bid sheet.
My point being, if you want to work through your vacation don't use up all the good weeks of the year just to come in to work.
Worked with one high seniority employee that you would never tell him if you had vacation plans or special event plans. He would take that week or day off to ruin your plans. Then when he lost all his money gambling would want to work that week or day. Unless he was too hung over and then would call in sick. This has been my experience with FTers.

Overpaid Union Thug

YEP! Each and every week of the year might be a "good week" for someone. I'm one of those guys that likes to take the first available week in January. Sometimes I get it. Sometimes not. There are others that have certain weeks of the year they shoot for and to everyone else those weeks aren't even considered. This is one of the many reasons the contract language specifies that vacations are to be sold in September. So that none of the weeks are closed out to people by those that want to work.

browntroll

i normally wait till after peak season to choose my vacations, when its "light". i heard sups so many times trying to send ppl
home early even try to lay them off after february trough july so i use my weeks then so other ppl work more hours. i understand where
some of you are coming from, one guy i talk to regularly works through his vacation likes to milk the clock everyday for 5 hours just because
his family wants to own a few houses and no one ever gets to do his pickoff or he will file, same guy likes to take 20 min bathroom breaks twice a day.

PT Car Washer

It has been a lot of years since I got turned down for a vacation week. (20 years and more). So maybe I would be upset as a lower seniority employee being turned down for vacation and having someone above me elect to work. That is what seniority is about.

browntroll

forgot to add that when he schedules his "vacation" im not allowed to for those weeks, just incase he doesnt come in
and i have to take his spot. i normally have to work it out with him on what weeks he will schedule and what i want.