Valentines Day is on Saturday...

PT Car Washer

If they are FT guys they have a right to get 8hrs a day regardless if there is driving available or not. They are allowed to displace PT guys to achieve that. If they are PT guys coming to roll the dice on driving that day, they have senority to work Sat before FT guys.
In the Central Region FT displace the least senior PT to get their 8 hours not the top seniority PT. You don't pick and choose which job you work.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
In the Central Region FT displace the least senior PT to get their 8 hours not the top seniority PT. You don't pick and choose which job you work.
Agreed, I was speaking of the fact the that all PT guys have dibs on Saturday work before the lowest FT guy, regardless. I guess the confusion is that you never indicated if the new drivers were PT cover drivers or FT swing drivers.

If they are the FT drivers you indicated that are working Saturday, they have no right to work over any PT employee on that day as its offered as extra work, not their regular scheduled shift. If they want their 8 M-friend they can get it by displacing PT employees. So the point being that if they aren't doing that then how bad do they really want to work and why should senority rules not be applied to the "allowing them" to work Sat, they had all week to get at least 40.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

They are all FT seniority drivers who have not bumped into the hub yet and are only working a few days a week. Under our supplement they have to be laid off a week before they can work inside. All the PT air drivers will be working and we will need more help. For some reason Saturday air is not very popular in my building and we are usually short of drivers. Just trying to help the young drivers out until Spring and vacations start up.

PT Car Washer

Saturday air commit times relaxed by 90 minutes. Start time pushed back by 90 minutes. Brilliant.
Our Saturday start times are 45 and 15 minutes earlier. Sure hope the Air is on time. Going to have a mini preload with the PAL labels and everything. Both Center managers and preload manager are going to be there. Should be a real disaster. I am doing pick ups in the PM just to limit my exposure to the madness. Bringing in 21 drivers so if they can figure the dispatch out maybe everything can be delivered before 4:00PM. Makes me wonder what Mother's Day is going to be like this year.

BrownTexas

It will be interesting to see tomorrow. I doubt we have enough drivers for the forecasted amount. I fully expect all onroad sups and managers in browns tomorrow.

undies

I was just told that I won't be needed to work tomorrow...forecasted volume is lighter than expected. Daaaamn!

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm curious, how does it work out for you all in the freezing weather? Are you all delivering frozen flowers and chocolate covered strawberries?

UPS does not guarantee plants/ flowers /perishables or live insects/bait or animals. The chances of anything not being frozen during shipment in the northern third of the US is about slim and none. People from the south like to ship oranges, pears, apples and grapefruit to their friends up north--especially at Christmas time. Normally that kind of stuff could be used as croquet balls by the time it gets here. I used to tell ticked off customers that 'hell--UPS don't even keep their drivers warm up in the cab of the trucks--they sure as hell aren't going to spring for a heater in the cargo section". If your shipment is shipped so it sits outside over the weekend in a trailer (and it will because the trailers don't go in the buildings) then you chance are 100% of it being frozen

rod

Retired 22 years
Our Saturday start times are 45 and 15 minutes earlier. Sure hope the Air is on time. Going to have a mini preload with the PAL labels and everything. Both Center managers and preload manager are going to be there. Should be a real disaster. I am doing pick ups in the PM just to limit my exposure to the madness. Bringing in 21 drivers so if they can figure the dispatch out maybe everything can be delivered before 4:00PM. Makes me wonder what Mother's Day is going to be like this year.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
The fact that they haven't work one of their scheduled M-friend shifts doesn't give them the right to work Saturday. By the employee choosing to not come to work or being sent home as a no pay doesn't guarantee them 40/5 days by working Saturday. I can assure you any FT with less senority than me (whether they worked 5 or 1 days this week) would not be working, if they did it's easy money for me as management would be paying an easy grievance for all hours worked by said employee.

You have to remember that Saturday is a air day, as such PT employees have precedence over FT employees. If a PT cover driver runs ground M-friend they are at the bottom each day but on Saturday they have senority over any FT and have first dibs to work. They will receive their air rate on Saturday for all hours worked. When the company runs out of PT employees, then the work is offered outside of that classification to FT, in senority order.
We don't look at it that way.

If a TCD who is also a Saturday at driver 6 punches then they are violating my seniority on Saturday.

Just filed and won on it.

Most TCDs don't want to work a 6 punch anyway as they get a little worn out as they aren't quite used to the grind.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We do not have a bid Saturday air driver position so we try to use casuals who did not get their hours during the week. I don't know how many drivers are working today but if I had to guess I would say 3 or 4. I also don't know of any FT drivers who want to work on Saturdays.

Z

ZQXC

I was going to work today, so some of the younger drivers could be home with their sweethearts; but then I said "Screw that."