Vested year

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not in my local. Wisconsin, Local 344. We receive both Health and Pension benefits for any week where we have any compensation from UPS. Could be one punch, optional holiday, vacation, holiday pay, etc.
Wow, really???

So you aren't in TeamCare or Central States, yet are in the Central Region?

How can that be?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Wow, really???

So you aren't in TeamCare or Central States, yet are in the Central Region?

How can that be?
My local hasn't been in the Central States pension fund since at least 1982 when I started. Not in Teamcare either. 344 has their own pension and healthcare benefits.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My local hasn't been in the Central States pension fund since at least 1982 when I started. Not in Teamcare either. 344 has their own pension and healthcare benefits.
How do they stack up?
Are these single local pension and healthcare funds experiencing the same problems as Central States and the C6 Plan?

....I'm sorry, I mean the "enhanced" TeamCare plan.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Both funds are in good shape. Health fund has a reserve of about 18 months last time I checked.
Accrual rate on our pension has increased the last three years. There are rumors that they may increase the retirees pension in the near future.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Both funds are in good shape. Health fund has a reserve of about 18 months last time I checked.
Accrual rate on our pension has increased the last three years. There are rumors that they may increase the retirees pension in the near future.
How can that be?
What allowed this presumably much smaller pension fund, in the same region, to avoid the pitfalls that the Central States Pension fund has encountered?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How can that be?
What allowed this presumably much smaller pension fund, in the same region, to avoid the pitfalls that the Central States Pension fund has encountered?
I'm in the same funds. We didn't have all these freight companies that went out of business like Central States. In the early days of our local the powers that be decided to go it on their own instead of join Central States. That being said, we have and have always had deductibles much higher than Teamcare and our retirees pay 550 a month for insurance.

brown_trousers

Not in my local. Wisconsin, Local 344. We receive both Health and Pension benefits for any week where we have any compensation from UPS. Could be one punch, optional holiday, vacation, holiday pay, etc.
Lol. So you punch in one week in 2018, take the rest of the year off. And you get a year credit towards your pension?

Inthegame

I'm in the same funds. We didn't have all these freight companies that went out of business like Central States. In the early days of our local the powers that be decided to go it on their own instead of join Central States. That being said, we have and have always had deductibles much higher than Teamcare and our retirees pay 550 a month for insurance.
Isn't your retiree plan payment based on years of service? I know a 35+yr guy from L344 that pays less than that. I also heard L344 has post 65 coverage for substantially less than posted as a medicare supplemental plan.
I'd imagine most would gladly pay that small deductible for that level of coverage.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Isn't your retiree plan payment based on years of service? I know a 35+yr guy from L344 that pays less than that. I also heard L344 has post 65 coverage for substantially less than posted as a medicare supplemental plan.
I'd imagine most would gladly pay that small deductible for that level of coverage.
I quoted the family plan with vision and dental. Yes, on the Medicare supplemental. I don't believe years of service have a bearing on the cost of coverage. This is all stuff I'll no for sure in the near future.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's a you problem.
Yep, a problem I haven't had in 32 years.
The deductible is a pittance.
For now....but seeing that "pandora's box" has been opened, how long will that number be a "pittance" as we will have to negotiate with the Union rather than the Company on the issue?
Has me wondering why an annual deductible is deemed necessary for a fund with the ample surplus that has been advertised?
Talk to a family of 4.... paying for Obummer Care.

$1800 a month, with a $5000 deductible ?

Yeah.... life sucks.
Not very reassuring to hear a BigUnionGuy who seems proud to negotiate us back to the field.
I'd prefer you concentrate on raising the bar, not lowering it?

~Bbbl~™

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yep, a problem I haven't had in 32 years.

For now....but seeing that "pandora's box" has been opened, how long will that number be a "pittance" as we will have to negotiate with the Union rather than the Company on the issue?
Has me wondering why an annual deductible is deemed necessary for a fund with the ample surplus that has been advertised?

As has been pointed out (on numerous occasions) it creates a smarter consumer.

No more running to the ER for routine issues of feeling "sick".

Maybe the issue of spiraling medical costs, hasn't hit the news yet.

Not very reassuring to hear a BigUnionGuy who seems proud to negotiate us back to the field. I'd prefer you concentrate on raising the bar, not lowering it?

Funny.... the people at Roadway and Yellow, had that entitlement attitude.

Look where it got them.

I'll take credit, when credit is do. This isn't one of those times.:biggrin:

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As has been pointed out (on numerous occasions) it creates a smarter consumer.

No more running to the ER for routine issues of feeling "sick".

Maybe the issue of spiraling medical costs, hasn't hit the news yet.
It's been pointed out on numerous occasions by @UpstateNYUPSer, and now you when it fits your agenda???

With the annual deductible only being a "pittance", I'm not sure it will curb much of what you're billing, especially after it is satisfied...

...or are you bracing us for even larger annual deductibles?

Besides I thought that is why TeamCare only pays 80% of ER visits unless we are admitted???...now it's also the reason for annual deductibles as well???
We are so fortunate to have you to save us from ourselves.

As far as your news flash on spiraling medical costs, here's a news flash for you: UPS used to be on the hook for additional costs, but now under this collective bargaining agreement they capped their cost and passed in onto the members.

Neat.
Funny.... the people at Roadway and Yellow, had that entitlement attitude.

Look where it got them.
Apples and oranges, but nice try.
Those companies and UPS have no parallels to date, none.

One minute you site the deregulation of the freight industry for the plight of Roadway and Yellow, then the next it's their "entitlement attitudes".

Let us know when you make up your mind.
I'll take credit, when credit is do. This isn't one of those times.
I don't blame you, I'd stay as far away from it as you can, while continuing to deflect in any way possible.
It's really all you can do at this point.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's been pointed out on numerous occasions by @UpstateNYUPSer, and now you when it fits your agenda???

With the annual deductible only being a "pittance", I'm not sure it will curb much of what you're billing, especially after it is satisfied...

...or are you bracing us for even larger annual deductibles?

Besides I thought that why TeamCare only pays 80% of ER visits unless we are admitted???...now it's also the reason for annual deductibles???
We are so fortunate to have you to save us from ourselves.

As far as your news flash on spiraling medical costs, here's a news flash for you: UPS used to be on the hook for additional costs, but now under this collective bargaining agreement they capped their cost and passed in onto the members.

Neat.

Apples and oranges, but nice try.
Those companies and UPS have no parallels to date, none.

One minute you site the deregulation of the freight industry for the plight of Roadway and Yellow, then the next it's their "entitlement attitudes".

Let us know when you make up your mind.

I don't blame you, I'd stay as far away from it as you can, while continuing to deflect in any way possible.
It's really all you can do at this point.

Keep employing the narrative.... that somehow, it's the Union's fault.

We just need more participation trophies. That way, everyone wins.

-Bug-