Voluntary Layoffs and Benefits

PPH_over_9000

So I'm gonna catch some flak for this but it is what it is.

I'm currently at home on my lunch break, finishing up just the BEST day I've ever had. /s

My center put up a list for voluntary lay-offs next week and I'm thinking about signing. I'm just curious if an entire week off will lapse my insurance for a little while or not. I tried checking the Mid-Atlantic supplement but it's either not there or the wording is so obscure that I'm not searching the document for the right terms.

Think anyone can help me out with an answer here before I get back to the grind?

"Why don't you ask someone in your center?" you might wonder. I fully intend to, I'm just killin' this hour with a little bit of curiosity.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The particulars depend on your local, there are a bunch of different health insurance plans in the Atlantic Area. But in general, most of the plans require the company to make a weekly contribution as long as the employee works at least one day so if the company is offering weeklong layoffs it's because that allows them to skip the weekly payment. That doesn't mean your insurance will lapse. Some plans do require the employee to work a certain amount of hours per month in order to maintain HC coverage but just taking a week off shouldn't put you under the requirement unless you miss a bunch of other days as well. Even if that happens your coverage won't just lapse, you'll get a letter informing you of the shortage and giving you the option to make a COBRA payment to maintain coverage for the period in which you had a shortage.

PPH_over_9000

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

If you have team care you need one punch a week

Don't forget about your pension credits.

Ask him if you can work one day and have the rest of the week off

My guy, that was the first thing I checked! lol

I forget all the numbers involved but I busted my calculator (app) out and it looks like I only need to work 40hrs/week for 32.17 (rounded up) weeks out of the year to hit 1801hrs worked and get credit.

Then I moved onto the benefits issue and ended up stumped.

I forget all the numbers involved but I busted my calculator (app) out and it looks like I only need to work 40hrs/week for 32.17 (rounded up) weeks out of the year to hit 1801hrs worked and get credit.

I don't know if you have option days, personal days or sick days but maybe you could use one of them next week and not have to worry about not having a one punch

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

I'm currently at home on my lunch break, finishing up just the BEST day I've ever had. /s

My center put up a list for voluntary lay-offs next week and I'm thinking about signing. I'm just curious if an entire week off will lapse my insurance for a little while or not. I tried checking the Mid-Atlantic supplement but it's either not there or the wording is so obscure that I'm not searching the document for the right terms.

Think anyone can help me out with an answer here before I get back to the grind?

"Why don't you ask someone in your center?" you might wonder. I fully intend to, I'm just killin' this hour with a little bit of curiosity.
YOURE SEASONAL!!!!
🤣

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The company will do literally everything in it's power to avoid actual, contractual layoff language and any protections and stipulations it might have. Even if it does not have any material benefit because, at the very least, it frames the choice as one the company offered, and minimizes exposure to and acknowledgement of a union.

voluntary layoffs are one option, bogus suspensions are another, as I am sure some of us are seeing right now. carrot and the stick, no "real" layoffs needed.

Shorts365

40hrs x 32.17 weeks = 1286.8 credit hrs

Whereistheunion

Like to volunteer for weekly Mondays layoff every other Fridays

Ladylucky13

The company will do literally everything in it's power to avoid actual, contractual layoff language and any protections and stipulations it might have. Even if it does not have any material benefit because, at the very least, it frames the choice as one the company offered, and minimizes exposure to and acknowledgement of a union.

voluntary layoffs are one option, bogus suspensions are another, as I am sure some of us are seeing right now. carrot and the stick, no "real" layoffs needed.

Ladylucky13

HavenoEDD

Every day off is a win for the company as they don’t have to contribute to the pension. Company over hired for the pandemic m and that’s their problem…if drivers show up and demand their 8 instead of taking overs, things would be running a lot better. Ironically it’s these same folks that moan when there’s no overtime to be had.

We have a guy who’s been here 14 years and takes plenty of overs to where many don’t know his name…last week he found out about pension credits..only has 8 years. He hasn’t missed a day since 😂