Wall Street celebrates Teamsters deal with UPS

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Because they aren’t replacing the drivers, they’re adding 22.4s. If a building has 40 drivers, they’re aren’t going to go down to 30 RPCDs and 10 22.4s. They’re going to add 10 22.4s. Just an example using easy numbers. If we don’t want to look like dumbasses when we’re negotiating, it helps to not make false statements, because it makes it look like we don’t know what we’re talking about, which hurts our bargaining position.

Most on here don’t

DeliveryMachine

So they will just hire 22.4’s until they hit that 25% mark. So no new RPCD will be hired until the center/hub has hired enough 22.4’s to get to 25%. However many years that takes.

cachmeifucan

Do they own the facilities I know Westmont IL I think they lease it not sure how many other properties but I wouldn't doubt they build new buildings as soon as this gets forced on us by our local leaders endorsement and the sheeple just follow. Vote no

cachmeifucan

Then all the old timers start retiring and others will go feeder. Then next thing it 50/50. And if it doesn't happen they will ask for 50/ 50 next contract. So can a 22.4 make a lateral bid they should be able to. But then if they can't next contract they will ask for 50/50 and then they could bid out of 22.4 to package to incentives them to vote against old timers

Dollar Chasing

Then all the old timers start retiring and others will go feeder. Then next thing it 50/50. And if it doesn't happen they will ask for 50/ 50 next contract. So can a 22.4 make a lateral bid they should be able to. But then if they can't next contract they will ask for 50/50 and then they could bid out of 22.4 to package to incentives them to vote against old timers

Dude...the contract states that when a driver position is vacated, they can’t replace it with a 22.4.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Yeah, you see, the contract states that they can’t exceed 25% of the RPCDs in a center. We have about 50 drivers in ours, and I can guarantee you we don’t have room, packages, cars, or even regular Saturday delivery, much less Sunday, to make 12 22.4s happen. Overall, there’s no way the company is going to make enough 22.4s to get anywhere close to 25% of the current workforce. Inflating numbers just to make a point isn’t helping you or anyone else but the company, who you’re helping make us look pretty dumb.

You need to think how the company thinks and plans.

The contract clearly states RPCD's will be Mon-Fri! You don't have Saturday delivery yet? You'll get it before the ink is dry on the contract. They will hire/promote 22.4's to deliver Saturday. IE will then start to advance loads hold back loads so that Saturady's will be full days for all drivers on Saturday (22.4's as RPCD's only work Mon-Fri.) This decreases volume on Mondays therefore the lowest RPCD's will be sent home as the number of routes are cut to the bone! Do not for one second think they won't cut to impossible levels. We do it here and over half our service failures occur on Mondays and they still cut more the next Monday! This Saturady work will NOT BE EXTRA WORK therefore RPCD's saying they have to work before a 22.4 works per the contract is laughed at by the company! Lowest seniority drivers not getting enough work as Mondays and soon Tuesdays when Sunday Delivery comes online will lead them to look elsewhere for employment. As the number of RPCD's dwindles The company runs to Dennis crying about needing more than 25% and they start upping the %....30...40..50%.

Benben

Dude...the contract states that when a driver position is vacated, they can’t replace it with a 22.4.

Define a vacated position! A driver retires and all they have to do shift areas around and PRESTO a route is cut. Cut it out on a Monday and it becomes a Tues-Sat route!

Remember the wording folks!!! The number of protected drivers is defined as those that work Monday-Friday! Run 60 routes during the week except on Mondays when your center runs 40 due to Saturday delivery siphoning off that volume results in how many "protected" RPCD positions? 40!!

But hey they can hire 22.4's up to 25% of the number of RPCD's that work on Mondays.

OOOO MY BAD, that is 25% of the RPCD's in your buidling. If they work Monday or not is irrelevant!

F

Frankie's Friend

Not that I disagree with anything else about the post, but this is a false statement.

Because they aren’t replacing the drivers, they’re adding 22.4s. If a building has 40 drivers, they’re aren’t going to go down to 30 RPCDs and 10 22.4s. They’re going to add 10 22.4s. Just an example using easy numbers. If we don’t want to look like dumbasses when we’re negotiating, it helps to not make false statements, because it makes it look like we don’t know what we’re talking about, which hurts our bargaining position.
Actually, you're wrong.

If 22.4 jobs will entail 4 hrs inside and 4 hrs driving pkg routes the ratio is 12.5% of full time guaranteed 8 pkg car drivers because it allegedly takes two hybrids to equal 8 hrs of pkg car work.

So, if the cba gets voted down twice or more due to the 22.4 language and the 9.5 list new language finally gets ratified with a cba minus 22.4s then the company will, by their own math, have to hire 12.5% more RPCDs to cover the volume that is here and what's coming that we dont know about .

Benben

If 22.4 jobs will entail 4 hrs inside and 4 hrs driving pkg routes the ratio is 12.5% of full time guaranteed 8 pkg car drivers because it allegedly takes two hybrids to equal 8 hrs of pkg car work.

Mighty, MIGHTY powerful word right there! I think that word is 100% dependent on your assumption that a 22.4's 8 hour day will entail 4 hours of inside work. My many years at this company has taught me that an assumption about anything UPS does is a fool's bet!

So, if the cba gets voted down twice or more due to the 22.4 language and the 9.5 list new language finally gets ratified with a cba minus 22.4s then the company will, by their own math, have to hire 12.5% more RPCDs to cover the volume that is here and what's coming that we dont know about .
I don't drink during the week, therefore I am about 12 beers shy of following your logic on this! I will have to revisit this when :censored2:-faced!

F

Frankie's Friend

Mighty, MIGHTY powerful word right there! I think that word is 100% dependent on your assumption that a 22.4's 8 hour day will entail 4 hours of inside work. My many years at this company has taught me that an assumption about anything UPS does is a fool's bet!

I don't drink during the week, therefore I am about 12 beers shy of following your logic on this! I will have to revisit this when :censored2:-faced!
Going on the foundation of 22.4 job description, minus the 9.5 language application, in theory the proposed 22.4 driving coverage will be approximately 4 (+) hrs. Takes two 22.4s at that rate to equal 1 ft driver with an 8 hr guarantee.

Therefore, the hybrid drivers allegedly needed to cover for projected 9.5 list drivers is actually 2 for I which equals 12.5% more FT PC drivers orherwise.

Dollar Chasing

Going on the foundation of 22.4 job description, minus the 9.5 language application, in theory the proposed 22.4 driving coverage will be approximately 4 (+) hrs. Takes two 22.4s at that rate to equal 1 ft driver with an 8 hr guarantee.

Therefore, the hybrid drivers allegedly needed to cover for projected 9.5 list drivers is actually 2 for I which equals 12.5% more FT PC drivers orherwise.

The language clearly states “the number of 22.4 driver shall not exceed 25% of the number of RPCDs in the building.”

F

Frankie's Friend

The language clearly states “the number of 22.4 driver shall not exceed 25% of the number of RPCDs in the building.”
You're missing the point. But that's ok.
I just want my turkey so I can send it to @Gumby .
giphy-9.gif

Rack em

Made the Podium
"If the amount of regular Saturday or Sunday volume in a building consistently requires RPCD drivers to work Saturday or Sunday because of the twenty-five percent (25%) limit, the package division director and Ups president of labor relations shall be allowed to adjust the limit based on demonstrated service need. (The tentative actually just says need instead of needs????)

With this amazing language it doesn't look like that 25% limit is actually a limit at all!

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
What would be percentage of these 22.4's nationwide if (only 5,000) new full time positions are created under this contract. Would it be fair to say there are roughy 100,000 regular package car drivers currently, 25 % of that would be (25,000) possible new 22.4s positions. Again 5,000 new positions is a drop in the bucket over 5 years, this is just another "foot in the door" agreement.

Benben

Are you Chester, Fitbit App or TonyQ?

I am leaning towards TonyQ as he selectively chooses who to respond to with 1/2 truths and misdirection while ignoring the previous posts in the same thread that refute or call into question his narrative.

Dollar Chasing

Are you Chester, Fitbit App or TonyQ?

I am leaning towards TonyQ as he selectively chooses who to respond to with 1/2 truths and misdirection while ignoring the previous posts in the same thread that refute or call into question his narrative.

Lol I’m simply me. I haven’t done anything but state facts, generally directly quoting the language of the contract. Everyone else keeps coming up with these fantastical imaginary “possibilities” and things that they’re soooo sure he company will do to bone them. If my experience, these kind of exaggerations are way overblown, and the situations where a few of them end up happening are the extreme minority. I’m just trying to bring some rationalization to this place.

Future

Victory Ride
Wall Street celebrates Teamsters deal with UPS

Corporate executives and investors are lauding the proposed contract signed by the Teamsters union for nearly a quarter of a million workers at United Parcel Service (UPS) for its potential to cut labor costs and boost profit margins even higher.

UPS share values, which had been sliding downwards since mid-June, reversed course after the Teamsters released the details of the sellout early last week. The stock had trended downwards due to investor fears of a potential strike when the contract expires on July 31. Wall Street is pinning its hopes on the Teamsters union, which has extended the contract indefinitely, to wear down rank-and-file opposition and ram the deal through.

David Vernon, the Senior Analyst at Bernstein Global Wealth Management, encouraged private investment in UPS upon the release of the contract, saying its replacement of up to 25 percent of full-time drivers with hybrid drivers was “better than he hoped.” He explained, “Added flexibility in the UPS cost structure from hybrid drivers should increase the flexibility with which UPS is able to accommodate future growth from e-commerce and lower the effective rate of wage growth at the margin."

This is such a damning exposure of who the Teamsters are really working for -- not the workers, but UPS and corporate-financial establishment. What do you think? The WSWS will continue to be the voice of UPS workers in this struggle, so please share your comments and circulate this article widely!
3D4D9882-ACAC-4AFA-A986-B7BAC01706B3.gif
1B6E9A8A-2342-4EE1-B2E8-5C4C18B26173.gif

Kayla C

Yeah, you see, the contract states that they can’t exceed 25% of the RPCDs in a center. We have about 50 drivers in ours, and I can guarantee you we don’t have room, packages, cars, or even regular Saturday delivery, much less Sunday, to make 12 22.4s happen. Overall, there’s no way the company is going to make enough 22.4s to get anywhere close to 25% of the current workforce. Inflating numbers just to make a point isn’t helping you or anyone else but the company, who you’re helping make us look pretty dumb.

Thank you. This is indeed what the contract says. I was aware of this when I wrote the article, but the language in the article did not reflect this fact. It is a replacement of new full-time job quotas, not pre-existing RPCDs, with the new hybrid positions. However, this still means that full time driving positions are under attack. Over time, the number and quality of RPCD positions will erode until the entire driver workforce consists of hyper-exploited drivers. If it cannot directly replace RPCDs, the union will simply cut the wage increases and health/pension benefits of them more than they already have.